So I backlit my DMG and it turns on, but then I realized that there's no image.
Everything is backlit and I can hear the game playing and everything, but I don't see the Nintendo icon at start up or anything else.
Possibly a ribbon cable? I'm starting to think so, but I hope it's not.

Last edited by hybrid-reality (Oct 3, 2014 2:35 am)

Québec

Probably a stupid question, but you did try the constrast wheel, right?

Nick Walrus wrote:

Probably a stupid question, but you did try the constrast wheel, right?

Hahaha, yeah, that was my first thought when it didn't display anything.
But yes, I've turned it on and off on different contrast settings and nothing.

Now I'm pretty convinced it's a ribbon cable or something.,.

Manchester, UK

Did you place polarising film between the backlight and the screen?

ChipCzuk wrote:

Did you place polarising film between the backlight and the screen?

Yes.
Even put it in front of the glass and behind the backlight itself to make sure I was covering my bases, haha.
Tried with and without the 100 ohm resistor, tried other soldering areas, but only the one on the top right instead of the bottom right one. Don't know if there's any other places to try it, but I'll try and upload some pics right now.
Imgur hasn't been working for me lately.
If not, I'll link it to my Instagram as a last resort.

I've been just thinking about buying another cheap one with dead pixels (easy fix) and try my luck on that one.
I've also been thinking it might be the backlight itself, but it does light up, so I'm kind of lost on that.

However, that's why I haven't bought another DMG. I need to know if it's the backlight or the DMG itself. That's what worries me.

Close up.

Maybe still dirty?

SLC, UT

All the backlight is doing is lighting up. So if that is working (which it is) then it's not the issue. Can you post an image of the screen without the polarizing film in between the backlight and the lcd? Put like a little piece of paper with something written on its in place.

Manchester, UK

Try unseating the ribbon cable from the back board again and checking that no traces have come loose or bent back on the end of the ribbon cable. This has happened to me before and I've fixed it by cutting a straight edge on it again with a decent pair of scissors.

Also, I'm assuming you removed the original protective film from the back of the glass on the game boy screen (another stupid one I know). This is also the bit where ribbon cable damage is most likely to happen. If you have damaged the cable it should be fairly easy to spot by gently pulling the screen outwards again. The horizontal cables are soldered to the board behind the screen and the vertical cables are attached to the front of the screen at the bottom.

stargazer wrote:

All the backlight is doing is lighting up. So if that is working (which it is) then it's not the issue. Can you post an image of the screen without the polarizing film in between the backlight and the lcd? Put like a little piece of paper with something written on its in place.

Here you go! It's bright out today and I don't know how big I should've made the paper, but yeah lol.

ChipCzuk wrote:

Try unseating the ribbon cable from the back board again and checking that no traces have come loose or bent back on the end of the ribbon cable. This has happened to me before and I've fixed it by cutting a straight edge on it again with a decent pair of scissors.

Also, I'm assuming you removed the original protective film from the back of the glass on the game boy screen (another stupid one I know). This is also the bit where ribbon cable damage is most likely to happen. If you have damaged the cable it should be fairly easy to spot by gently pulling the screen outwards again. The horizontal cables are soldered to the board behind the screen and the vertical cables are attached to the front of the screen at the bottom.

Well, it is kind of bent on one corner. I'd take a picture, but you wouldn't be able to tell, but in person, the tip is bent a little backwards. A tiiiiiiny bit, however.
I've looked everywhere else for minutes and don't see a tear or any other imperfection. It's been driving me crazy. Lol

Another thing I should mention is that when I was cleaning the screen with isopropyl, I think the q-tip accidentally touched the ribbon cables behind the glass. I don't know if that would cause any problems, but I have heard in videos not to let that happen.
I guess I could cut the tip of the ribbon cable as a last resort and of that doesn't work, then I guess it's the alcohol that did it?
I'll upload some pictures of the ribbon cable tip.

Also, thanks for all the help so far, everyone! I really appreciate it. (:

So I did end up trimming the ribbon cable a bit and still nothing is shown. I noticed that if I run my finger or the end of a pen on the right side of the ribbon cable (near the blue tip) the screen shows some weird static.
I'm really thinking of buying another Gameboy, but I'm still stuck on making this one work. I have no idea how this happened though. It was fine when I bought it.
Maybe bending that ribbon cable too much or something, I don't know.

This seems like a polarizer issue. are you 10000000% sure you got the one off the back of the screen? Someone seriously just had this problem not too long ago. even if you jacked one of the lcd cables you'd get garbage on the screen