Los Angeles

Coming soon!

www.beyondgeek.com

Whateverville, California

It always amazes me that when the general public is faced with the use of older technology, nine times out of ten people can't find anything to say other than "Didn't they stop making that like 20 years ago!?" There's this implication that somehow any technology more than ten years old is no longer useful or interesting, but has instead become WACKY AND HILARIOUS! Is it consumerism that drives this attitude, or do people really just lack an imagination when it comes to this sort of thing? I guess these questions are more or less rhetorical, but sometimes I gotta wonder. Don't get me wrong, Salad Shooters are wacky and hilarious... It must be a perspective thing.

Haha, dumb musings aside, this looks pretty rad. It's cool to see you (guys) posting, 8 Bit Weapon was some of the first chiptune I ever listened to and has always been a favorite. Thanks for the music!

Last edited by Imaginary (Oct 10, 2014 5:10 pm)

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
Imaginary wrote:

It always amazes me that when the general public is faced with the use of older technology, nine times out of ten people can't find anything to say other than "Didn't they stop making that like 20 years ago!?" There's this implication that somehow any technology more than ten years old is no longer useful or interesting, but has instead become WACKY AND HILARIOUS! Is it consumerism that drives this attitude, or do people really just lack an imagination when it comes to this sort of thing? I guess these questions are more or less rhetorical, but sometimes I gotta wonder. Don't get me wrong, Salad Shooters are wacky and hilarious... It must be a perspective thing.

Haha, dumb musings aside, this looks pretty rad. It's cool to see you (guys) posting, 8 Bit Weapon was some of the first chiptune I ever listened to and has always been a favorite. Thanks for the music!

Ditto, well said. For me also, 8 Bit Weapon was my first exposure to chip music and really opened my eyes to what can be done on these old, loved machines! Glad to see more main stream interest.
Yogi

NC in the US of America

I'm always amazed that people are amazed at this phenomenon.

SketchMan3 wrote:

I'm always amazed that people are amazed at this phenomenon.

Haha, fair enough. It's the sort of thing where you have to stop and look at the situation from the perspective for the observer. "WHY DON'T YOU INHERENTLY UNDERSTAND MY NEED TO MODIFY THIS SUPER GAMEBOY TO ACCEPT A KEYBOARD? BLASPHEMY!" It's a two way street as usual.

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:33 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA

And then Antiques Roadshow comes on after it.

So ancient, it's nature (nature...) music (music...)

Last edited by Feryl (Oct 11, 2014 2:44 am)

So I had a conversation with a guy a few years younger than I am that I just met at work, and the subject came around to chiptune/tracking, because it's basically all I do at this point besides work or whatever. He was 100% the opposite of the norm described above. I asked "DID YOU KNOW CATS BE MAKING MUSIC WITH GAMEBOYS AN WHATNOT?" and he responded to the tune of, "No I didn't know that Frank, but that makes me happy as a goddamn clam eatin' candy, because repurposing old technology rules and the music from old videogames is really great. What genius created that shit? Somebody buy him a beer."

GUYS. SOMETIMES DREAMS DO COME TRUE.

Los Angeles

That's awesome! Wish it were always that easy explaining the music to other peeps. smile