UK

One aspect  which I liked about the chip scene was how supportive and active other musicians, audiences and others were on sites like 8bit collective.

It's definitely grown more since that point, Is the chip scene less supportive that what it was?

What's the current state of the online chip scene like? Do many people still use this site and have other people moved on or perhaps no longer post on this site?

Last edited by CS (Oct 17, 2014 1:04 am)

the music side of this site at least is so much less active than 8bc was and that is sad for sure

Brunswick, GA USA

When was "that point?" A lot has happened over the years...

Baja California

I think since 2012 the chipscene has gone on a generation shift where there are new big names in chiptune making some "splash". Most veterans have gone exploring other electronic music styles (or other generes altogether), and some awesome artists have disappeared/quit from the scene. Also It seems that since blip fest ended new big chip festivals have been very successful. But maybe you're right, the online communication has (maybe since I started following it) been more quiet than people that have more time in the scene claim to have since 8 bit collective (I joined/followed the chipscene when 8bitcollective was dying and wasn't aware of the drama that was happening at the time)

tl;dr maybe chipscene has been divided since 2012?

England

join the chiptune=win facebook group.

ask about how to make chipmusic.

receive 53 replies.

relive 8bc memories.

that is where all the life seems to be now anyway :P

Last edited by Jellica (Oct 17, 2014 6:35 am)

Seattle, WA

As much as I like CMO, I miss the weekly charts from 8bc. It gave me something to check up on and strive for.

Clermont-Ferrand, France
Jellica wrote:

join the chiptune=win facebook group.

ask about how to make chipmusic.

receive 53 replies.

relive 8bc memories.

that is where all the life seems to be now anyway tongue

That and µcollective

Adelaide, Australia

Yeah, I agree a bit with Dire Hit - there were some aspects of the 8bc site which were nice, like the charts. I also find it odd that the admins of cm.org have chosen to not show post counts OR how long people have been members. I understand the desire to welcome new-comers and avoid inferiority complexes but I really don't think that would be an issue in this kind of community. Displaying that kind of information can be helpful when seeking / taking advice from people.

[edit]

Last edited by freezedream (Oct 17, 2014 10:42 am)

IL, US

i'm guessing you didn't realize that post counts were off on 8bc after late 2008 or so (i know, i was the one who disabled them)

Sweeeeeeden

freezedream, if you really, REALLY, want to find out, go to the person's profile and click view posts. This way you can both see how many posts the account has, and when the first post was made, which is hopefully reasonably close to the join date.

Holland

I guess it's still a scene with a lot of divided groups who hardly try exploring other stuff, except for the stuff of people they meet on parties. I notice I do that a lot, which is kind of bad, but I don't really know where to start as well. Nowadays mostly checking out new stuff by artists I already know or meeting new artists on parties or because they do coops with artists I already know. Asides from that I still listen to a lot of old chiptunes and most of those guys are 30 or 40+ and have a serious life to live nowadays.

Brunswick, GA USA

Some people will keep making music whether there is a scene for it or not.

Adelaide, Australia
e.s.c. wrote:

i'm guessing you didn't realize that post counts were off on 8bc after late 2008 or so (i know, i was the one who disabled them)

Apparently I didn't - no problem.

nitro2k01 wrote:

freezedream, if you really, REALLY, want to find out, go to the person's profile and click view posts.

Thanks for that but I don't really need to find out, I was just commenting on one aspect of how 8bc compared to chipmusic.org, and e.s.c. has made it clear to me that I actually just have a fuzzy memory regarding 8bc.

Seattle, WA

The biggest difference between 8bc and cmo is the homepage. 8bc put music posts first, cmo puts forums posts first. Or maybe I don't listen to nearly as many random songs from random sites anymore, idk.

NC in the US of America

cm.o's homepage has the music at the top of the page. How much more put first do you want?

Hmmm... But yeah, chip=win has a lot of activity. On their facebook group and the IRC channel on Esper. Things seem to be moving more towards social media platforms that aren't solely dedicated to chiptunes.

Liverpool, UK
lvlzero wrote:

Also It seems that since blip fest ended new big chip festivals have been very successful.

2/10 got me to respond.