Brunswick, GA USA

Why do these threads pop up on the eve of gigantic festivals? I'm pretty sure pixel is this weekend...

Earth

I like graphs http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=Chiptunes

Edit: I guess it doesn't look as bleak when you drop the 's'. I still think there's a bit of a slump.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q= … amp;cmpt=q

Last edited by breakphase (Oct 17, 2014 6:30 pm)

NC in the US of America

Lol @ the "free chiptunes" search

and wow... i got into it just around the time it spiked back up. Edit: Oh hey that's when the bedroom livestream concerts were a thing big_smile XD good times.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Oct 17, 2014 6:07 pm)

Baja California

@calmdownkidder sorry for butchering the sentence. Foreign language isn't my strong point. Maybe what I tried to say is that new events have (kind of) that blip fest fun (... I think this dosen't help either). My intention wasn't to insult or downplay blip. sorry for my grammar mistakes.

Brunswick, GA USA

I stopped calling it "chiptune" when this site did. Don't forget to search for "chipmusic" too.

Remember also that one of the things that happened is that a lot of artists are pushing past "this is chipmusic" and are simply showing the same music as electronic music, so it won't come up in the search. If anything, lament the loss of marketability. wink

Last edited by chunter (Oct 17, 2014 11:51 pm)

New Zealand

Laugh out loud

Los Angeles, CA

If I could write music any other way, I would, if only to get away from the majority of this scene.

Playboy Man-Baby
Mrwimmer wrote:

If I could write music any other way, I would, if only to get away from the majority of this scene.

I've seen the light in the past year and it's that the future for chipmusicians (assuming they seize it) is to just work harder to integrate themselves individually into irl scenes that aren't the chip scene because the chip scene kind of blows except for when you want to geek out or you have a question about your gear/software/etc.

ex: Chipthrash = harsh noise = noise/hardcore basement scene, and I'm about 500x happier doing my thing there than I am playing to a balloon-filled room of people wearing megaman tshirts and waiting for their turns to play their set with a Sega Master System or whatever.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I hate all of you. wink

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Oct 18, 2014 11:09 am)

Abandoned on Fire
Invisible Robot Hands wrote:
Mrwimmer wrote:

I've seen the light in the past year and it's that the future for chipmusicians (assuming they seize it) is to just work harder to integrate themselves individually into irl scenes that aren't the chip scene because the chip scene kind of blows except for when you want to geek out or you have a question about your gear/software/etc.

ex: Chipthrash = harsh noise = noise/hardcore basement scene, and I'm about 500x happier doing my thing there than I am playing to a balloon-filled room of people wearing megaman tshirts and waiting for their turns to play their set with a Sega Master System or whatever.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I hate all of you. wink

This is very true and what a lot of people have been doing.  herr prof was encouraging exactly this several years ago.  "No more chip ghetto!"  I'm getting much more involved with the experimental/noise/circuit bending guys in Nashville and it's the best move I've ever made.

Chipmusic has "broken out" enough that it doesn't really need to be contained in one space anymore.  It's in games again, in videos, it's "eveywhere" to an extent.  People are playing gigs and being part of compilations that aren't chipmusic-specific.  And thank god, quite frankly, in a way we "won". If the community isn't as large here these days it's because it's out there, outside of the couple of websites there were around to support it originally.  People discuss everything on Facebook and Twitter these days, but cm.org is still a good place to find technical info.  It's totally NOT the place to find new music though, and it shouldn't really be either.

Adelaide, Australia

4mat: Hear! Hear!

Abandoned on Fire
freezedream wrote:

4mat: Hear! Hear!

Gosford, Australia

luv u cmo, but its all about irl now heart

Brazil - Japan

I think that "after 8BC" the offline tendency spread out, people started to work their scene locally. I speak for myself . The only way to expand  (if you want it) chipmusic here is creating partnerships and interacting with other musicians from different segments. It is not easy, but good people will eventually notice that you are making your own music, with strange devices. When i first listened to Ralp, was at 8bc, now he has the Lowtoy collective growing and helping artists to release and spread the music. Since the beggining he was not a "chiptuner" and somehow i think that kept his mind open. Also, Chema is making some great effort at Mexico, releasing material and with Format DF festival. In Australia we have Square Sounds festival, bringing in some "hybrids" to play, like Doshy, wich plays "fake chip", but hey, at least this is connecting different cultures, that's positive. As Quarta 330 did in Japan, when kode9 set his release on Hyperdub, Maybe the first gameboy remix in a nice eletronic music label. The 8static from US, of course, is still there and strong. Recently Chippanze made a co-op release with Hexawe, and for me that's a good sign. And there are many many more, doing stuff locally.

Sometimes i play with Dj's, wich is fun, and somehow i try to influence them to make a live set, or play their own songs, in a good way. This year i played with my former band also, making an introduction act with my favourite trackers. I feel that this was kind of educational also, I surely prefer to play with my guys from the label, but that's not always possible here. So, to play chipmusic outside of the scene, will be mostly shocking to people, wich is what i expect when i go out to watch someone playing.

Sorry if i don't actively post here, but i am so glad to know that there is a place to talk about this! As 4mat said, chip is all over the net, not centralized. maybe this is the expansion tendency. I have a list of websites for chip related stuff, wich makes the thing very much alive for me. and of course, my friends here (pulselooper, subway sonicbeat) wich can give imediate feedback.

I hope that my humble experience can put some light into this matter. I am not a scene guy, so you should consider the relevance of this smile

Last edited by droid-on (Oct 18, 2014 3:03 pm)

vancouver, canada

it's a thing

vancouver, canada

but seriously if chip music is less a genre but more of a methodology and philosophy, as our greatest minds have suggested, should we really be surprised that it hasn't achieved any larger a share of today's music than a guitar does?  it really is just another thing in a composer's arsenal now, for better and/or worse.  i'd hate to see chiptune dominate the airwaves.