Earth
chunter wrote:
breakphase wrote:

I just like to dick around online. And something about the amature, file posting culture is cool/fun to me. Whatever though, I'm not crying about it. *sniff*

Do it if you want, nobody's stopping you and I'm sure people listen.

No I know, I was commiserating the demise of the bigger sites like that (8bc, micromusic). I know micromusic is still up, but no one goes there. Anyways, if there's enough demand for a community like that, someone will build it. Oh wait they already have, it's uCollective.

Also I wouldn't really call it an 'existential crisis' to evaluate the status of online chip music communities. We _are_ online right now.

Man I'm lagging here.

Last edited by breakphase (Oct 21, 2014 6:42 pm)

Nottingham, UK

Earth

Have we reached the duck yet?

Nottingham, UK
breakphase wrote:

Have we reached the duck yet?

Earth

I don't use that name willy nilly

To do so is to invite tradgety, and SHAME

Last edited by breakphase (Oct 21, 2014 7:19 pm)

Baja California

I missed the ant1 spiral of death ;_; . lots of threads needed that treatment.

zobe

as soon as you are born you are friends with a horse

Los Angeles, CA
aanaaanaaanaaana wrote:

as soon as you are born you are friends with a horse

For real though aanaaanaaanaaana is really the only reason I stick around.

calmdownkidder wrote:

Yo - listen, guys - I got out my house, got on a plane, went to 8static, and had a fucking blast hanging out with rad people and listening to rad music.

Do that.

herr_prof wrote:
danimal cannon wrote:

Thisssss

bumping/supporting this post a third time because IMO if you try to analyze "the online state" of any music/art scene it often times turns into an analysis of why people are upset looking at their internet devices all day. i don't think it's actually healthy to separate the "states" like that between real and the internet in that manner, tbh. i think physical events are needed because they allow yourself to step back, humble yourself, and appreciate the things that made you inspired by it in the first place. they allow you to stop finding the negatives or finding a way to criticize and also allow you to become motivated by the things that worked and and have worked instead of trying to solve a puzzle of how to make it work better in the future for the benefit of others or for even for yourself. on the internet it's very easy to do that, because you're observing information constantly and responding to it. it's difficult to just enjoy being immersed in something that's going on because "online" is just a collection of statements and responses to those statements. i think i'm getting unnecessarily heady here, lol

the chances for finding an event close to anybody is more of a reality now than years ago though, i definitely suggest checking some out if anyone has the time and means to do it smile

edit: read through thread, I don't intend to be crass but I do also see how answering the OP with a different answer is just as frustrating and annoying so I apologize CS! but we did also talk about the topic of "Is the chip scene less supportive," and I think it's good to suggest going to a physical show as a better way to answer that large of a question. so personally I don't think a single person is trying to "be too cool for the internet" or anything like that at all by bringing up going to shows, but it's more of an extension of what 4mat said - the scene is way more physical than it was before because the outlets to express yourself outside of internet forums exist in a larger amount these days. many people didn't intentionally choose to be on forums outside of other options, forums and IRC were almost the only option then

Last edited by an0va (Oct 21, 2014 8:54 pm)

NC in the US of America

+1 to all of that ^ but especially this:

an0va wrote:

i think physical events are needed because they allow yourself to step back, humble yourself, and appreciate the things that made you inspired by it in the first place. they allow you to stop finding the negatives or finding a way to criticize and also allow you to become motivated by the things that worked and and have worked

I've noticed this myself when going to live events of various sorts.

IL, US

and if youre near chicago, be prepared to travel a few hundred miles if you want to be at a gig with more than 10-12 people in attendance ... i mean, its a lot easier for you guys within a 3-4 hour ride from philly or nyc or sf or any of the places with scenes that have things going on on a semi-regular or regular basis, theres just not much going on in some cities and travel is sometimes cost or time prohibitive.. i had a 20+ hours trip between cars, trains and buses to get out to nyc for lwlvl ,.. not everyone can spare that kind of time...

Brunswick, GA USA
SketchMan3 wrote:

+1 to all of that ^ but especially this:

an0va wrote:

i think physical events are needed because they allow yourself to step back, humble yourself, and appreciate the things that made you inspired by it in the first place. they allow you to stop finding the negatives or finding a way to criticize and also allow you to become motivated by the things that worked and and have worked

I've noticed this myself when going to live events of various sorts.

Since we're repeating ourselves a bit, I can only speak for myself by saying I know what would happen for me... What's true is, if you find yourself a thing to do (anything, really) the online virtual whatever will matter to you less and less. That doesn't necessarily have to be music.

Regarding miku stomp, as well as it seems to track I want to throw high speed randomized tones at it and see if it keeps up.

buffalo, NY
e.s.c. wrote:

and if youre near chicago, be prepared to travel a few hundred miles if you want to be at a gig with more than 10-12 people in attendance ... i mean, its a lot easier for you guys within a 3-4 hour ride from philly or nyc or sf or any of the places with scenes that have things going on on a semi-regular or regular basis, theres just not much going on in some cities and travel is sometimes cost or time prohibitive.. i had a 20+ hours trip between cars, trains and buses to get out to nyc for lwlvl ,.. not everyone can spare that kind of time...

BRKFEST?

Also I toured through Chicago and had ~50 people in attendance, so stuff is happening dude, just keep your eyes open!

Last edited by danimal cannon (Oct 22, 2014 12:08 am)

IL, US

still 350 miles from chicago wink (and i was moving that week)... well that would make it triple the audience when shadowtravel came through town this summer... last full chip gig in chicago i remember with around 50 people was late 2010

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Oct 11, 2021 7:25 pm)

IMO you never need to find "chip shows" to appreciate the growth of the scene - take your gear to a local open mic and blow some minds (or piss people off, lol) - either one is a great development - electronic music as a whole is at least on a ton of people's minds more than it was before - it a great time to be interested in this stuff I think! smile

Last edited by an0va (Oct 22, 2014 5:20 am)