Hello all!
I was pondering this subject and this seems to be a good place to ask. 

I was using broken NES flight stick pad wire, then when that ran out, I started using wire from a discarded iphone usb charge cable.
Now, I am almost out again and before I lose my mind, start cutting open random stuff or drop money for some suitable replacement online, was wondering what you guys typically use or recommend. Possibly even which could be found around a gamer's house.
(I have tried a couple of things but they wouldn't do, such as a ps1's a/v cord. No go...)

This would be used for particularly small solder points such as volume pot.
Must be thin for easy routing inside a GBC in multiple locations with a flush closure.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by Koji-Kendo (Oct 23, 2014 6:47 am)

Whateverville, California

What gauge do you usually use for your soldering projects? I was told AWG30 is standard for soldering PCBs, do you need to go even smaller than that?

Last edited by Imaginary (Oct 23, 2014 3:01 pm)

Kansas

I've seen a many console modders use IDE Ribbon cable from old computers. The connectors just pop off and you can peel individual wires off the edge like pull-and-peel licorice. Plenty of it be found in almost any computer more than 6 or 7 years old. IIRC it's usually 28 AWG.

Looks like this:

IL, US

yeah, those work great, think i still have a few dozens IDE cables sitting around in a box (unless i made my noise musician friend take them)

Montreal, Canada

I use old CAT5 cable. Most of the older stuff practically given away, is fine enough for most rework (28AWG), comes in stranded or solid and is colour coded to boot. For high pin out stuff yes recycled ribbon cables work well.

Last edited by lain2097 (Oct 23, 2014 5:08 pm)

Imaginary wrote:

What gauge do you usually use for your soldering projects? I was told AWG30 is standard for soldering PCBs, do you need to go even smaller than that?

Ah, not sure exactly on the gauge.
I think I used to use 20 or 22, but it was too thick.
Now I use a gauge in similar gauge to the wires attached to a back-light or front-light panel.

Could be 30, maybe smaller.
I can't seem to find the gauge for ipod/iphone charging cable wire online, but a similar gauge would be ideal for my needs.

Last edited by Koji-Kendo (Oct 23, 2014 7:07 pm)

loudaslife wrote:

I've seen a many console modders use IDE Ribbon cable from old computers. The connectors just pop off and you can peel individual wires off the edge like pull-and-peel licorice. Plenty of it be found in almost any computer more than 6 or 7 years old. IIRC it's usually 28 AWG.

Looks like this:

That's a great idea.
I will have to look into that shortly. :-)

Kansas City

I use old video cables! I really like VGA and DVI. They have small wire and plenty of it!

Last edited by MidnightAbyss (Oct 24, 2014 5:44 am)

MidnightAbyss wrote:

I use old video cables! I really like VGA and DVI. The have small wire and plenty of it!

Awesome! I think I have a spare from an old laptop. Thanks, I'll give that a try. :-)

Single strand 30awg. Can get it in 3 different colors from any radioshack.

12ianma wrote:

Single strand 30awg. Can get it in 3 different colors from any radioshack.

Yeah but I'm not gonna drop radioshack money for some modding wire.
A bit overpriced for my needs.
Thank you though.

Last edited by Koji-Kendo (Oct 24, 2014 3:18 am)

It's like 50ft for 5-6$ one of the products not actually super over priced to pick up in a store.

12ianma wrote:

It's like 50ft for 5-6$ one of the products not actually super over priced to pick up in a store.

Oh, I guess I just assumed it was, 'cause I'm such a cheap ass. haha. Sorry.
That is a great price for that much.
Nice!

Found the best wire.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/P-N-B-30-1000- … SwojxZm933

Last edited by Mark Gelman (Aug 27, 2018 3:20 pm)