Melbourne, Australia
Victory Road wrote:

referring to gentle hurst? used to be sydney fam smile if you ever get a chance to cross the bass strait let us know and we can do chiptune stuff m8

Yeah, he's started up again, and it's good to see someone doing stuff, but he's mainly doing it for events run by the Arts program he's in, so it's not really a chip scene as such...

And awesome, sounds rad big_smile Should be coming Melbourne way next year hopefully.

i reaffirm my resolve to stay relevant to the chip scene

a bunch of gigging musicians from new york and philadelphia saying "uh yea but its different irl"

buffalo, NY
sandneil wrote:

a bunch of gigging musicians from new york and philadelphia saying "uh yea but its different irl"

Just for the record, Buffalo NY is about 9 hours away from NYC.  I am the only regular gigging chip musician in my city.  Anova doesn't live in Philly anymore. We travel for shows, spent a decent chunk of change going to Lwlvl 2 months ago, it was way worth it.

sandneil wrote:

FWIW, I have been living in Richmond, Virginia (an area completely devoid of any kind of "chipscene" and at least six hours any direction towards anything else) since March and only played a couple shows in the past year. wink I believe Danimal is in super northern upstate New York, an area with music scenes I'm sure but I also don't think there's a "chip scene" there either. but he gigs out with multiple projects and makes it work for him. we all have to realize that "chipscenes" like NYC and Philadelphia simply didn't exist ten years ago - it was just people reaching out to each other via e-mail and then hanging out. there's always a way to make it work smile

And I've been doing almost all of the suggestions I made in my previous post to a surprising amount of relative success, actually. and there's nothing special about my situation, I'm just trying to suggest that you aren't 100% governed by where you live. It may require different strategies but I think the sounds of chipmusic are more familiar to many ears in this time period than they ever were before. You'd almost have to find a population of people that have never heard of a computer before to find people that don't "get it" smile

and kind of tangenting further with something brought up on the last page, but IMO it works to let people call it what they view it as and instead just hone your skills to the point where people want to see it again. even if they don't want to see it again, keep pushing it until you find people that do smile

Last edited by an0va (Oct 23, 2014 6:34 pm)

Chiptunes=WIN actually hosts a really cool user-submitted Google Map plotting the locations of anyone who does stuff sympathetic to chiptune / "nerd culture" related work. I don't know how up to date it is but it could be very useful to take a glance at and find the closest people near you ! smile

http://chiptuneswin.com/map

IL, US

reminds me again that i need to finish getting out of illinois.. left chicago, but now im in a 50 mile buffer zone with 0 hits on that map
edit: though its funny to see that theres someone in the town my brother lives in now

Last edited by e.s.c. (Oct 23, 2014 5:39 pm)

there are also examples of super talented musicians like trey frey, who resides in a town that wiki states has only a little over 1,000 people total, and he just finished a successful European tour smile

http://www.heraldmailmedia.com/life/she … 1c76b.html

the internet can be used as a successful tool to connect people together IRL across great distances and chipmusic is definitely great for this

Last edited by an0va (Oct 23, 2014 7:05 pm)

Robotcity, the year 20XX

You guys know eindbaas? Well, when eindbaas started no-one knew about eindbaas. When I started making chiptune? Chip music was dead in Holland.
In 2014 not only is the chip scene in the Netherlands thriving with the likes of xyce and monodeer, eindbaas is one of the best known chip shows in the world. Oh, and I played chip tunes all over the world, from Tokyo to NYC, and met almost all chip peeps IRL. And it cost me heaps of money all worth it.
And I almost forget: I also play a lot of shows that have nothing to do with chip music. I could not care less that people come up and ask me what game I am playing, just as long by the end of the night they are dancing their asses off.

Los Angeles, CA

I think that map's pretty telling, isn't it?  Like, I don't wanna be that guy, but me and Solarbear sure as fuck are the only people making things in Lexington still, right?  Even after throwing 2 rather large fests and consistently playing shows at venues of all sizes, nobody around here is interested in chip at all.  We've been doing stuff for years and not a damn thing has changed. 

an0va, you and Danimal are in the upper percentages of accessibility and success in this scene, let's not kid ourselves.  It's more than a little disheartening to be putting in the work and getting nothing in return.  Let's take the example of Trey.  He's making supremely accessible dance music that does not sound like it's coming from gameboys at all, and his success has not at all fostered a scene in his town, or even his whole state, really.  I don't see what hope some of the less "mainstream" of us have.

I realize this is more than a bit meandering, but I think that fostering a scene really isn't worth it if you're on your own somewhere.  Most of us are hobbyists. Seeing real live people who are interested in your hobby is cool, but ramming up against the wall of public apathy for years is enough to make anyone stop giving a fuck.

Alive and well in fucksville

what happened to doing it because you like it? you dont need anyone's permission.

Outer Space
bitjacker wrote:

what happened to doing it because you like it? you dont need anyone's permission.

Right? I mean don't get me wrong, I'd like to play for people and all. Nobody is stopping me from playing live though. Heck, I can just plug up some speaks on the street.

Unsubscribe

This thread is quickly becoming "why arent I popular"

*sigh*

Last edited by sandneil (Oct 24, 2014 12:26 am)

Brunswick, GA USA
herr_prof wrote:

This thread is quickly becoming "why arent I popular"

Well, it got hijacked into you gotta go to shows which can be easily twisted to you gotta play shows which is in turn easily twisted to you're shit if you're not playing shows.

sandneil wrote:

*sigh*

You know, I agree with what you deleted.

Last edited by chunter (Oct 24, 2014 12:30 am)

cmo kid brothers "throw down your internets we're going out in the streets"