It's only fair. If I'm able to receive donations for my project on Chipmusic.org, then Chipmusic.org should be able to accept donations from me and the many other users that enjoy the features of this site.

Seattle, WA

I'd throw some cash towards the 2nd best chip forum I've ever been on.

UK, Leicester

kitsch said something about how the site doesn't accpet any money or donations, can't remmeber exactly why though

NC in the US of America

The love of money is the root of all evil, and it screwed up good things, eh?

yes how else will they fund the Chipmusic LLC office & Chipmusic LLC telephone hotline

Unsubscribe

trash80 has it covered, so just buy his records or something:
http://trash80.com/

IL, US

yeah, from the start, the site has a policy of not taking donations from members so i wouldnt worry about it...just keep doing the good work you're doing and if you feel like giving back, buy records from artists in the scene and hit up shows smile

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning for this policy.

Milwaukee, WI

Because.

CountSymphoniC wrote:

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning for this policy.

well i don't really know either but there was a chiptunes website before this one that was popular and the guy who ran it dropped out of university to turn it into a company and then started doing wild and desperate things to keep the money coming in that hurt the community and made everyone come here instead and it was a bad and not fun time in internet chiptunes land so maybe it is something to do with that

Canada
sandneil wrote:

well i don't really know either but there was a chiptunes website before this one that was popular and the guy who ran it dropped out of university to turn it into a company and then started doing wild and desperate things to keep the money coming in that hurt the community and made everyone come here instead and it was a bad and not fun time in internet chiptunes land so maybe it is something to do with that

I think this is the clearest explanation I've ever gotten for the downfall of 8bc, and the chiphip migration.
Ya, I'd donate, but I get the vibe that this thing's a community project that wants to remain nourished by the quality of its members' musical and technical (etc) contributions, rather than monetary support.

Last edited by Jansaw (Nov 13, 2014 10:27 pm)

TSSBAY01

just donate to hamas instead, they can use the money.

Am I understanding this correctly? Chipmusic will not accept donations because it does not want to fall to the same fate as 8bc? What?

That's like saying just because a lightning bolt struck and killed someone at a certain place, means we should all stay as far away from that place as possible. Look, maybe I don't know the whole story, but if one guy is willing to pay out of pocket to keep this forum alive, then we should all have the choice to support it as well. This isn't a corporate owned business. Of course, if you think I'm crazy, then now would be a great time to call me out on it.

Allow me to illustrate my point with this:
As far as I know, Chipmusic.org at present time is the largest and best social gathering in forum form specifically for chiptune musicians and like minded people to join and share thoughts, ideas and art. We just had a sizeable paid offer for talent HERE. I've looked around and everything else I've come across is subpar compared to Chipmusic.org and maybe that's just a simple opinion of mine. However, Chipmusic.org is a place for growth, for the entire chiptune movement, and I'd be willing to assert... a central pillar.

My goals are the success of the 8 and 16-bit chiptune movement and considering the tracker I'm working on, my goals are most especially focused on the 16-bit movement. Shiru, Delek, cTrix and I all are providing software to help make this happen. I see absolutely no reason why Chipmusic.org can't be the next 8bc, or better yet surpass it. I've heard numerous ex-chiptuners tell me that they gave up with the fall of 8bc. I get it, we don't want to walk through the same footsteps of 8bc, right? Are we going to make progress out of the concern that we'll repeat history, or are we going to make progress out of having the confidence to forge a new path?

Donations are one way to help the cause. To fortify the pillar. But there are many other ways that haven't been considered that could help expand everything we're doing here. More people need to hear our music and learn about what it is that we're doing here. This means more fans, more chiptuners, and more innovation. Music is an inter-inspired art form. We learn from each other and create new ideas based off of those ideas.

If everyone here thinks that donations aren't the answer, then what will it take beyond what we're already doing to expand? There's so much talent here that's waiting to be heard. Once in a while I poke around and listen to the music that other artists are creating here, and I hear amazing talent and potential. What is something that we can do to better expose the artistic creativity here to the rest of the world?

Unsubscribe

Who cares if they don't want your money?

I do.

Unsubscribe

I assure you it's nothing personal.