Canada

I had never gotten the chance to formally release/share my thesis with you folks. Wrote this a year or so ago during my last year of attending university.

The paper deals with elements of networking which keep low-resolution art sustainable. Topics include online and offline networking (social networking), importance of learning resources, and the popular culture 'debate'.

Interviewed in the paper are the following artists:
Goto80
Danimal Cannon
cTrix
Bit Shifter
Arnie Holder
4mat
Kitsch
Amphibious

Within the paper are multiple references to examples included in a "media pack". This was given to my marking professors. If there's a want, I can upload the media to google drive or some such place. As for now, most links to the content are provided at the end of the paper under works cited.

Link to the paper:

http://goo.gl/4Z68Ls

Feel free to share this with any and all if you have the urge. part of my effort was just to see some academic research concerning chipmusic. Another part was to write a thesis that referenced chipmusic trolls... only joking. Kinda. 

Thanks for taking the time, and I hope you enjoy it. I certainly enjoyed writing it, and thanks again to those who took the time to get involved with my project.

Cheers.

Very cool. I meant to ask you about this at one point, this should be an interesting read.

Canada
CountSymphoniC wrote:

Very cool. I meant to ask you about this at one point, this should be an interesting read.

Thanks!
Page 11 discusses a trend in chipmusic growth through development of software for hardware with hardly any compositional tools (i.e. 16bit technologies). Your current work with the genesis is a perfect example of this! People like you keep the culture from being stagnant.

I found your thesis to be an inspiring read. It is well written, detailed, and has plenty of good sources.

Aside from that, reading this helps give me a clearer picture of some of the things that I can do to help kindle Chipmusic growth. It also helps me understand when the growth boom is likely to take place in the life cycle of Prodigy Tracker. Right now, this is just the spark. But all it takes is a spark.

Thanks for posting your work. I think it's a wonderful contribution to the scene, especially for the intellectual minds of us out there.

matt's mind

thanks for posting this!  i was wondering what had become of your thesis smile

can't wait to read through it

buffalo, NY

Whoa, very well put together!

I have to admit, it can be strange reconciling the idea that I am a cited authority on these subjects, I haven't been doing it as long as others.  I can only speak from anecdotal experience, luckily I've found my conclusions are usually shared by others.

Abandoned on Fire

I'm glad you shared this, it's very well done!

Canada
kitsch wrote:

thanks for posting this!  i was wondering what had become of your thesis smile

can't wait to read through it

Ya, the end of the year was such a blur to me, I spaced on actually sharing my thoughts with the community. Wasn't until I filled out someone's survey here that I decided to put it up. Thanks for contributing, Kitsch smile

danimal cannon wrote:

Whoa, very well put together!

I have to admit, it can be strange reconciling the idea that I am a cited authority on these subjects, I haven't been doing it as long as others.  I can only speak from anecdotal experience, luckily I've found my conclusions are usually shared by others.

Thanks a bunch! Well, I'd say someone who's been accepted to do a TEDx talk (in any subject matter), most likely has the stuff of critical thought. So, I'm very happy to cite you in the paper!

egr wrote:

I'm glad you shared this, it's very well done!

d'awh, thanks smile

Nomad's Land

Some great thoughts in there, and elegant terminology: Good job on talking about "low resolution art" rather than bothering to come up with a definition for chipmusic, which is ultimately bound to fail. Some things made me smile too, like for example the thought of the community being "sometimes guarded by trolls". hehehe. Some other aspects I don't quite agree with, for example I believe that the downfall of 8bc and even more so the end of tctd did have lasting negative effects, maybe not in regards to the strength of the scene but certainly in regards to the social cohesion of the community. Another thing that I thought is a bit questionable is the whole "new tools for so far underrepresented platforms is due to a growing community" attribution. I don't think community growth has a major impact in this regard. Or, at least on can say that there are numerous other causes: It was a development that was bound to happen in any case. Gameboy has become so much of a staple, people want to evolve from that. 10 years ago 16-bit platforms weren't as "vintage" as they are now Edit: No, that one doesn't make sense actually, considering the release dates of e.g. DMG vs Mega Drive. 16-bit platforms usually aren't portable, or their portable variants were not as common as Gameboy, for example. etcetc...
Anyway, overall a very enjoyable read, thanks for sharing.

Last edited by irrlichtproject (Nov 20, 2014 11:50 pm)

Canada

Awesome post! Thanks for reading and engaging with my work!

Re: 8bc & tctd: I would say that there were definitely negative aspects, but I think my thought process was to point to the fact that "we shall overcome." Chipmusic was probably hurt, but wasn't rid of. Plus, I'm sure there were definitely some positives to come out of the fall of 8bc & tctd. These community sites definitely did't (and don't) define the art, just acted as networking resources. The less networking, the less progress, but aren't there positives? These are good thoughts.

Re: new tools: I think what I meant by this was that chipmusic is bound to technology by nature. The more software that comes out for what we consider now to be low-res, the more the community might grow. I don't think I could see the community suffering from the release of a particular technology? Unless that tech makes what we use somehow obsolete (i.e. VSTs?). But isn't that kind of the point? obsolete tech? So maybe that doesn't carry weight. You're so right in thinking that at some point or another, certain tech begins to fall out of the realm of contemporary, and into the realm of vintage. Also an inherent part of CM. Good thoughts all around!

Thanks!

Last edited by Jansaw (Nov 21, 2014 12:08 am)