Whitley Bay, England

Recently been playing with Pulsar and NTRQ on my NES (class programs, and I'm such a sucker for the sound of the NES) and have come to a point where I'm wanting to record a bit

However, the RCA out gives me so much buzz. Like, to the point where the audio itself is somewhat buried in it. I know that this is a recognised problem but I feel that maybe mine is worse than usual?

I've done one recording, using the hearing loop output from my TV (my TV is SUPER old), which had less of that buzz (and a different kind of buzz, but that was quieter). Here's that recording - you can hear the buzz at the end: https://soundcloud.com/euanlynn/nes
That whole recording sounds quite lo-fi and noisy (I recorded the guitar + vocals like that on purpose) which I actually like, but it'd be kinda nice to have the option to have a clean recording!

I know that there's the lowgain mod which splits the audio, but is there any other way to reduce the buzz? Replacing any capacitors or anything?

Thanks! I'm totally new to using my NES (been using my Game Boy for years) and it's really exciting!

Brunswick, GA USA

It sounds like noise, and could be getting picked up from a CRT. Move stuff around and see what happens?

Last edited by chunter (Nov 23, 2014 2:07 pm)

Whitley Bay, England

I tried it with my TV turned off and it was still there hmm

Dallas, Texas

Sounds like mains hum. Also turning off the tv will not really be sufficient. In my experiences, you must unplug it. I'd also double check it's not your recording machine. I've once had a PC that had some grounding issues and caused hum in my recordings when using certain 1/8" mic inputs.

Furthermore, if you end up splitting the audio I can tell you that the inherent background hiss of the NES seems to only be present on the Tri/Noise/DPCM channel. This hiss is the one that changes in regard to what the PPU is displaying on screen. So if you mainly are using the pulse channels I'd reccomend adding some ac coupled and diode protected 1/4" outputs and just use the pulse outs (or low-gain's mod) This will also allow you to bypass the old audio mixer and amp inside the RF box. This is right next to the power supply and I prolly don't have to tell you this is a bad combo for trying to get a clean signal.

If you ever feel the need to replace caps, I'd start with the power supply filter caps. and possibly any in the audio path. Though, I believe that metal can is difficult to get into and work on these parts.

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Nov 23, 2014 2:25 pm)

Whitley Bay, England

I'll try having it plugged in elsewhere! Definitely not with my laptop - I've done a lot of recording and never had that problem. It comes through when plugged into my hi-fi too.

I'm not TOO bothered about a bit of hiss (if I was, I wouldn't be using this kinda tech!), so that sounds alright by me. I'll have a poke around and look into some of the mods that have been done smile

Thanks!

Clermont-Ferrand, France

Same problem with my new NTSC NES, I have a very similar buzz that the one at the end of your track.

Seriously, the low gain mod with splitted audio is very simple to do (I'm a modding beginner and yet it worked), and has worked very well on the buzz for my european NES. You should reconsider it smile

Last edited by PleaseLoseBattle (Nov 23, 2014 3:13 pm)

You'll either have to mod your NES or run the signal through noise filter software, you might lose some of the good frequencies doing method two so modding your NES might be the best thing for you.

Last edited by CountSymphoniC (Nov 23, 2014 10:46 pm)