Douglas, Wyoming

http://youtu.be/OAbaZQPj97o IAYD getting some major hype behind him, have you guys listened to the new album? For those who don't know the needledrop is one of the most popular music review channels on YouTube.

São Paulo, Brazil

he said "crystal castles", "edm", "megaman" and then I felt asleep.

UK, Leicester
PULSELOOPER wrote:

he said "crystal castles", "edm", "megaman" and then I felt asleep.

i thought he did a good enough job of not saying dumb things, and this is comming from someone who mostly finds him to be an annoying person

Sweeeeeeden

He did not say that Crystal Castles are eating babies and supporting terrorism. 0/10, would not watch again. Unsubbed and reported.

if theres someone out there who deserves some good exposure, it's IAYD. glad to see him gaining traction.

Unsubscribe

How did I watch a 6 min review video that didnt play one sec of music?? Is this some copyright fear thing?

IAYD paid all his dues, godblessh him.

SLC, UT

I was hoping he would just keep going through all the megamans "Megaman 1, Megaman 2, Megaman 3.......Mega Man Battle Network 5 Team Protoman...."

detroit

dude said 8-bit about a million times

buffalo, NY

Wow you guys are harsh.

The Megaman comparison is wrong/bad (Led Zeppelin sounds like Metallica because guitartune), the Guchi/Castles references are relevant because of his audience, and he makes a fair differentiation from them.

THE MOST IMPORTANT PART is how he talks about how the low res timbres actually add grit and an edgy quality to the tunes.  I found it to be well researched and presented (except for Megaman), and he focused on the right musical and production choices. I even agreed with his songwriting criticism (sorry Alex love you bby)

I'm not sure if you guys actually listened to what he said, or if you're just making superficial judgements (which is ironically what he DIDNT do)

Brighton/Southampton

I agree with Danimal - the guy makes some very good points about chiptune, and actually acknowledges that a lot of people fall into the trap of seeing "8-bit_ or chiptune sounds as a gimmick. It's refreshing to hear a chiptune music review talk about the actual nature of the sounds in the context of electronic music as a whole. Not just "this sounds like megaman" (although yes, that needs to stop)..

(but yeah, it would help if some of the music was played during the review)

Last edited by Fearofdark (Nov 24, 2014 8:39 pm)

Douglas, Wyoming

He doesn't play the music during the review because YouTube are copyright Nazis, but he always posts a link to a song sample in the description. I feel it's near impossible for someone who doesn't regularly listen to chiptune to not make a comparison to video games. Although we could have done without the megaman allusion.

buffalo, NY

I really liked how he brought up Koji Kondo and (someone else sorry) in order to set the stage for "in the beginning there was video games, and now we have club bangers"

Sweeeeeeden

The Megaman comparison is at 2:50. There he makes a direct comparison. I'm sure you can find influences from games on this release, but Megaman just isn't it.

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:35 pm)

ohio gozaimasu

someone's jealous

I thought this was an honest and really nice interview for a great release. If I didn't know IAYD before, this review would totally make me check it out as a fan of 8bit and modern electronic music smile