Los Angeles, CA
Cooshinator wrote:

someone's jealous

Just sharing my feelings, yo.  I do wish I had said it a little nicer, but that is honestly how I feel about the record.

buffalo, NY

As a biased chip musician you're missing the point Wimmer.  His sound design may not be the most groundbreaking thing to ever chiptune, but it's a great showcase to someone who doesn't listen to chip music to show that the Gameboy can sound fucking gnarly (remember the audience!).  The timbre IS awesome, especially to someone who hasn't heard of it before.

Also, your comment is analogous to saying "this Diplo record is lame, you should check out Thelonious Monk"

Douglas, Wyoming

I feel the best criticism for this album, that keep in mind I loved and ordered the physical copy of, was some of the tracks weren't cohesive and that it felt like a bit of a mixed bag of tracks. But overall I thought, even to someone of the chiptune community, the sound design was great. There isn't a whole lot of chiptune trap other than boa constructor and dire hit, and he certainly nailed the sound. Also I always love IAYD's wav channel instruments because they always sounds gritty and heavy. I thought it could have benifitted from having some of the tracks removed or replaced though.

Seattle, WA
Monotron wrote:

I feel the best criticism for this album, that keep in mind I loved and ordered the physical copy of, was some of the tracks weren't cohesive and that it felt like a bit of a mixed bag of tracks. But overall I thought, even to someone of the chiptune community, the sound design was great. There isn't a whole lot of chiptune trap other than boa constructor and dire hit, and he certainly nailed the sound. Also I always love IAYD's wav channel instruments because they always sounds gritty and heavy. I thought it could have benifitted from having some of the tracks removed or replaced though.

Yay I got mentioned

IMO "Dolores" especially is a milestone in chipmusic and for me it easily stands out among nearly all chiptune songs made over the last year or so, god i love it so much hahaha

Los Angeles, CA
danimal cannon wrote:

As a biased chip musician you're missing the point Wimmer.  His sound design may not be the most groundbreaking thing to ever chiptune, but it's a great showcase to someone who doesn't listen to chip music to show that the Gameboy can sound fucking gnarly (remember the audience!).  The timbre IS awesome, especially to someone who hasn't heard of it before.

Also, your comment is analogous to saying "this Diplo record is lame, you should check out Thelonious Monk"

the audience is people who are watching the needledrop. 

I just don't like dance music, I don't like gameboy wubs, and I don't want people to think that's all we've got, so I said something.

Los Angeles, CA

Y'all I don't understand why my shitty opinion is a big deal

Outer Space
Mrwimmer wrote:

Y'all I don't understand why my shitty opinion is a big deal

It's not

Canada

This is amazing. Go IAYD! Go chipmusic!

I really like this review, it seems like needledrop has actually taken the time to analyse the album and at the very least it gives exposure which is always good!

Oh and the intro to Blood Money is literally my favourite sound design ever.

Last edited by J3wel (Nov 25, 2014 7:11 pm)

Nottingham, UK

Not a huge fan of Andampathy Flampdingo but I'm always happy to see people reviewing chip music as music not as novelty.

Michigan

This just means bigger things are in store for Basebit and chiptunes. As an avid user of lsdj, this release is technically and sonically amazing. There are sounds here that I can't create, and probably won't be able to for years to come. IAYD killed it and the album makes me ultra-stoked to do some 2x.

Seattle, WA US

ayyyyyy lmao

babylon

i suppose im biased but im particularly proud of alex. i think the whole things pretty cool.

TSSBAY01

what if it garners iayd tens of thousands of fans who just want to beat up mario at a rave? then all of his work will have been for nothing, all because of one guy on youtube.

Canada

I guess we've arrived at the classic underground impasse re: money and steady living > or < artistic integrity. Though it's not IAYD's integrity in question, but his fans... and how the hell can someone control that (other than maybe choosing which outlets you allow your media through).

In the end, it doesn't matter... disregard haters, acquire what you want.