For "Live" play I use song mode, select which part of a song I want to use and change the beginning and end to make it more mixable.
Add a few fx and Sample here and there and you're pretty busy smile

4mat wrote:

I don't see how shuffling a couple of columns around on a gameboy screen makes anyone more or less legit tbh.

Also very true IMO

Bristol, UK

I never use live mode, I like the structure how it is, I don't need to fuck it up or repeat the best bit just to feel like i'm doing more. Live music is about how you present your music, not how "live" it really is. If it's that important to you then maybe you should be using a keyboard and not a sequencer.

Unsubscribe

If you arent shrimps youre cheating.

Playboy Man-Baby

I suppose there's nothing "wrong" with song mode but there sure is a lot of the same "live mode isn't live mode" comment in this thread. I like to think the setup I described earlier is a pretty decent rigging up of lsdj for really-live live sets, idk...

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Dec 2, 2014 10:42 pm)

lolusa

keep the debate alive

lolusa

i mean a-live mode

Seattle, WA

No one here is a musician because none of us can play the guitar.

Playboy Man-Baby
Dire Hit wrote:

I am the first musician to ever join cm.o

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Dec 3, 2014 6:59 am)

if you are playing song mode, find something else to do on top so you still have a performance wink
but i see no problem with song mode

Detroit, Michigan

WWJD (what would Je Mappelle do)

WWJDDJ3JD

No Particular Place
an0va wrote:
B4D-W0LF wrote:

I want to know is it possible that I can be considered chiptunes

Don't worry about what you are "considered," genre or performance wise. wink

A live show is about the experience, the feeling and the atmosphere. You could be the busiest person on stage and it still wouldn't matter if your production is weak or if the songs aren't good. It's common to feel like you'd have to keep yourself busy to make it "feel more like a performance," but I think this is a rookie mistake to be honest. People seeing you perform at live show is much different from people watching a video of you on youtube - for example, they aren't going to be staring at everything you're doing on the table. A youtube video gives a hundred people the same view of your rig, but in reality this would be limited to only the people closest to the stage at a live gig. Many people won't even be looking or even care what you're doing - they just want to hear and feel good music pumping out of a nice system and they want to see a person taking ownership of presenting that music to them. I think the sooner you begin to think about what's interesting for a person on the floor and not what's interesting for you on stage is when you really start to nail it down.

Put yourself in the shoes of someone else that night - would they want to observe your performance from a technical perspective or would they want to enjoy the general atmosphere? Obviously this changes from show to show, venue to venue, and city to city but I definitely think this is worth considering about way more than considering the validity.  Try everything and think of ways you can present the music each time - you'll love the trial and error and you will definitely find a way that works best for you! smile

tl;dr - you can perform in any way you want to. smile live performance is a presentation unique to each individual person and not a rigidly defined standard

This is all of what I will be trying to do. There's an artist that I know of that faced away from the crowd to make the statement of she's doing with the audience. I also listen to Pharmacon. She does the craziest shows. She Takes Random objects and makes noise with them. it's crazy how she does live shows. Maybe, I could do weird stuff like that, and flow them into my kickass music, cause, no doubt, I have quality. I wonder about what people think about how to anything, Just to know if the world is a place to do whatever....
I'll even make a dedicated peeing song so everyone could go pee in the middle of my set lmfao... serious.

No Particular Place
Dire Hit wrote:

You forgot about me, dude. I play guitar, too Lol.... Funny thing is, I could do some chiptuney guitar stuff, too :3

No Particular Place
PULSELOOPER wrote:
chunter wrote:

This burns my ass somewhat. While a rapport with the audience is important, eg. "How are you doing tonight? Are you enjoying yourselves? Thanks for having me," if what the performer is doing matters more than the music itself, why are the audience there?

While a circus-act feeling can help keep people who aren't necessarily musicians interested, and sometimes stupendous technique is part of that, and others just need a smoke machine, some lighter fluid, and a zippo, what's the point if people don't enjoy your music at face value?

And of course, it always depends on the audience. Here in Brazil, I´m used to perform for audience who are more into experimental/weird music, so they have a good time looking at what you´re doing with your gear, or they´re just hypnotized by the visuals. On the other hand, I felt slightly uncomfortably performing at Blip Festival 2012. Kris Keyser had a blast of a gig, jumping around and smashing a DMG in the end. People went nuts. Then comes this weirdo fuck from Brazil and stands there like he´s playing a round of Tetris. In any case, I think the most important thing is that the one who should have more fun is the artist himself. It´s not a matter of ^fuck the audience^. But I do think it´s the most boring thing in the world to just press play and listen to the same music you´ve listened to a bunch of times.

All of my music is in one way or another experimental. So, I can bring out a random drum solo out of nowhere, and play different genres of music just for the heck of it.. Freaking sweet, when you do all types of genres and everyone gets out something different, because the number of songs I have is different than you've ever thought they'd be.

France (au milieu)

I'll even make a dedicated peeing song so everyone could go pee in the middle of my set lmfao... serious.

love this idea!! smile