Sweeeeeeden

Edited to make the title overly clear.

SLC, UT
nitro2k01 wrote:

Awwww, I thought my title was so clever. That being said the obvious sarcastic posts are annoying. Thanks.

NC in the US of America

I kept thinking this thread would be a discussion on emotional response to chipmusic. Then I saw the edited title up to the point "How do you feel about the band..." and thought it was going to be "How do you feel about the band Crying" and was going to talk about how touching it is to see performers so touched by their music that they break out into tears along with the audience.

But alas...

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Dec 3, 2014 11:08 pm)

SLC, UT
SketchMan3 wrote:

I kept thinking this thread would be a discussion on emotional response to chipmusic. Then I saw the edited title up to the point "How do you feel about the band..." and thought it was going to be "How do you feel about the band Crying" and was going to talk about how touching it is to see performers so touched by their music that they break out into tears along with the audience.

But alas...

I lol'ed.

But more importantly: Have you seen a band perform live that was so touched by their music they shed tears? I don't know how I feel about that. To me it's kind of like wearing your own band's t-shirt or something. But then again, I think a good performer should perform with emotion, but it may be a different kind of emotion than tearing up at how touching the music you are playing is.

But I guess I could see someone tearing up while performing something they didn't write. Like a member of a choir performing Handel's Messiah. Though if Handel teared up while conducting the choir, that would be a no-go for me.

Outer Space

I think they're awesome! They're actually playing a show where I am tonight and I'm not gonna be able to make it out to hear them live. sad

NC in the US of America

Whether they wrote it or not, I have no problem with it. I mean... if it's real emotion it's real. Not going to bash them for writing something real and feeling it.

I will say that I don't think I've seen anyone tear up when performing something they wrote themselves, though. "How touching the music you are playing is" and being "touched by your music" aren't entirely the same thing.. but.. um.. lel.

I'll have to check out this Crying band... >.>

SLC, UT

Back to the band called 'Crying', I checked out their twitter. One thing I found kind of perplexing was whoever runs it was ranting about all the album reviewers referring to them as 'emo', presumably due to their name. Assuming that emo is bad because it now means 'immature', whining about album reviews on twitter is a pretty emo thing to do. Aren't Jimmy Eat World considered to be one of the pioneering 'emo' bands? They're a great freaking band, there's nothing wrong with them being 'emo'.

Though, at the end of the day, the band referred to as 'Crying' is kind of emo.

Outer Space
stargazer wrote:

Back to the band called 'Crying', I checked out their twitter. One thing I found kind of perplexing was whoever runs it was ranting about all the album reviewers referring to them as 'emo', presumably due to their name. Assuming that emo is bad because it now means 'immature', whining about album reviews on twitter is a pretty emo thing to do. Aren't Jimmy Eat World considered to be one of the pioneering 'emo' bands? They're a great freaking band, there's nothing wrong with them being 'emo'.

lol

Los Angeles, CA
stargazer wrote:

Probably refering to the emo movement that broke off of hardcore in the 80s.  Jawbreaker and Sunny Day Real Estate, which was sadly co-opted by crappy bands everywhere in the 2000s.  There was semi-recently kind of a revival I guess? But I'm guessing their complaint was that they don't consider themselves an emo band, despite having a bunch of the stylistic hallmarks of being one (super melodically driven, all those guitar parts, etc) and the cultural problems in that scene (misogyny).

SLC, UT
Mrwimmer wrote:
stargazer wrote:

Probably refering to the emo movement that broke off of hardcore in the 80s.  Jawbreaker and Sunny Day Real Estate, which was sadly co-opted by crappy bands everywhere in the 2000s.  There was semi-recently kind of a revival I guess? But I'm guessing their complaint was that they don't consider themselves an emo band, despite having a bunch of the stylistic hallmarks of being one (super melodically driven, all those guitar parts, etc) and the cultural problems in that scene (misogyny).

That's a good point. I guess I'm going off my experience here where bands I've known that we're clearly emo, when asked if they were emo, refuted it. It seems like emo bands would much prefer to be called post-hardcore. I wonder what they'd say if someone called them post-hardcore.

I mean, they're getting reviewed. Which by extension means people are actually noticing them and taking them seriously. That alone is pretty impressive for a band that incorporates chipmusic. Then, throw in the fact that the people that are reviewing them aren't immediately comparing their songs to Mega Man and Mario at a rave.

It's not my place to say, but I feel like they don't have much to be complaining about.

Los Angeles, CA
stargazer wrote:

It's not my place to say, but I feel like they don't have much to be complaining about.

So they're a chip band?

Gosford, Australia

crying are the BEST. rat baby and bodega run are some of my all time favourite jams

NC in the US of America

listening to their bandcamp. I'm enjoying it.  I've definitely heard less interesting less engaging chippy band projects that sometimes sound like backing tracks waiting for vocals to go on top...

the band known as Crying gets a (^.^)b from me

And the mix between the chip elements and the live band elements is actually CLEAR and i can hear each part distinctly instead of the guitars just fading into the pulse waves or the chip leads fading into the background of everything... That's always a plus for me. Guitars doing more than power chords... actual guitar parts.. And you can actually hear it o.o

The vocals kind of remind me of BC Likes You, except it's done naturally without the vocoding stuff. I likes.

IDK why chip + guitar seems to be such a difficult balance to strike... I've heard so many people do it well (in my opinion), yet the ones who don't do it so well mix-wise (in my opinion) seem to get the most jabber...

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Dec 4, 2014 12:29 am)

Seattle, WA
nitro2k01 wrote:

Thank you very much. That title threw me for a loop no matter how many times I read it.

TSSBAY01

i will never hear them, because when i see a band being talked about i immediately realize that i am not their target audience and i stay far away...i'd much rather listen to a joel vdb or an andy clark album that most anything else at this point

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:36 pm)