Abandoned on Fire

I don't believe I've ever listened to of any of the groups/artists mentioned in this thread.  It's somewhat shocking how narrow my interest in chip-related stuff has become.

UK, Leicester
egr wrote:

I don't believe I've ever listened to of any of the groups/artists mentioned in this thread.  It's somewhat shocking how narrow my interest in chip-related stuff has become.

If youve played THUG2 (like 90% of the people I know) then you've heard Jimmy Eat World at least

Last edited by Alpine (Dec 4, 2014 4:45 pm)

Abandoned on Fire

I know Jimmy Eat World, I meant that I only pay attention to a tiny fraction of chip-related music nowadays.

Earth
danimal cannon wrote:

Cool band! Never met them though. 

They got on pitchfork by being on a record label, music journalism is a gated community yo

They use the Pitchfork to keep out us rabble.

I didn't realize that real labels were using bandcamp. That's weird. I guess they help with promotion and making actual records though (record labels, that is).

Last edited by breakphase (Dec 4, 2014 7:16 pm)

breakphase wrote:
danimal cannon wrote:

Cool band! Never met them though. 

They got on pitchfork by being on a record label, music journalism is a gated community yo

I didn't realize that real labels were using bandcamp. That's weird. I guess they help with promotion and making actual records though (record labels, that is).

Bandcamp has become a great platform for selling music much like iTunes, but much more independent. Pretty sure with iTunes you have to get "approved" or something. I've never bothered with it. It's easier for small indie labels to use bandcamp to distribute merch, music, records, etc. You can do that all from bandcamp fairly easily now.

SLC, UT

Speaking of crying, this video and song:

Last edited by stargazer (Dec 4, 2014 9:36 pm)

Earth
arlen wrote:
breakphase wrote:

Bandcamp has become a great platform for selling music much like iTunes, but much more independent. Pretty sure with iTunes you have to get "approved" or something. I've never bothered with it. It's easier for small indie labels to use bandcamp to distribute merch, music, records, etc. You can do that all from bandcamp fairly easily now.

Yeah band camp is the future for sure. But when labels use it, it makes it seem like the necessity of having a label is going away. It seems like the only real reason to have one is for the connections they can give you -- like getting reviewed by pitchfork. But even mass promotion can be accomplished through the internet. 

Anyway this band is great.

Last edited by breakphase (Dec 4, 2014 11:47 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA
arlen wrote:
breakphase wrote:

You don't need to be approved to sell in iTunes but it costs money. I think indie v commercial happens in waves, where right now the independent are considered to be at a disadvantage. That proverbial pendulum is due for a very hard swing.

When did 'emo' ever not mean immature? Basing a style of music on the idea that you are the only ones who express feelings deserved many flavors of hell.

TSSBAY01
Feryl wrote:
tempsoundsolutions wrote:

andy clark

Philosophers do albums now?

Brunswick, GA USA

Okay, having listened to a couple tracks I think they should have picked a better name.

breakphase wrote:
arlen wrote:

Yeah band camp is the future for sure. But when labels use it, it makes it seem like the necessity of having a label is going away. It seems like the only real reason to have one is for the connections they can give you -- like getting reviewed by pitchfork. But even mass promotion can be accomplished through the internet. 

Anyway this band is great.

Labels are good for getting physical stuff out there. Good luck pressing your own records, it costs a lot and if you're a label you can do bulk presses of a lot of stuff for cheaper (iirc. im not too up to speed on the whole record pressing stuff. my friend is in the process of pressing some band's record for his own little label)

You can do promotion yourself, but by being on a label it kind of gives you association to other bands and thus can kind of reach out to their fans. Plenty of people like facebook pages for labels and then those labels can promote you to people who may not know you. I don't think the era of the indie label is dead yet.

Oklahoma City, OK

Crying is pretty rad. I was fortunate enough to get to open for them back in July when they played in Norman, OK at a skatepark. They were touring with Told Slant. Their live show was good, and off stage they were the nicest of people. They were completely out of merch but I donated to their tour fund, and Elaiza drew me a picture of... something. I can't remember what it was or what I even did with it xD. Fun times.

In any case, if they swing by your area, check them out! They're super cool smile

Earth
chunter wrote:

When did 'emo' ever not mean immature? Basing a style of music on the idea that you are the only ones who express feelings deserved many flavors of hell.

Yeah but who said that's what emo was about? Early emo was more about introspective/spiritual lyrics, and a certain type of dissonant and spooky instrumentation. I think the backlash against it is quite interesting.

Brunswick, GA USA
breakphase wrote:

Yeah but who said that's what emo was about? Early emo was more about introspective/spiritual lyrics, and a certain type of dissonant and spooky instrumentation. I think the backlash against it is quite interesting.

I wish I could remember band names to put a finger on it for you. The negative first impression was a suburban white kid singing punk music that whines about childhood/adolescence, particularly, consider people who took that same aspect of early 90s alternative seriously. (For contrast, I thought grunge was whiny too.)

Seattle, WA US

I prefer this chiptune band

Seattle, WA US

on the real tho I don't even particularly enjoy this kind of music but I think Crying is good.. very tasteful square wave usage