Kiel, Germany

YES LET'S DISCUSS THE NATURE OF A TERM THAT WAS DISOWNED EVEN BY THE TWO FUCKING BANDS THAT IT WAS MADE UP FOR
Honestly I'd wish the revivalist kids were reviving the sound of Rites of Spring, Embrace and Moss Icon and not this sort of watered down version that came later. Especially since the OG bands were honest without being whiney, something that seems to be lost to fucking everyone.

As for crying, objectively they're a good band. Nice songwriting, absolutely nothing offensive about their sound, will likely be loved by the New York scene. Subjectively I'm fucking sick of the association of happy-go-lucky bleeps and bloops and 8bit music (Anamanaguchi have brought that to it's pinnacle imo) and I'd love to hear some actually aggressive and crazy bands pop up.

UK, Leicester
STereochan wrote:

I'd love to hear some actually aggressive and crazy bands pop up.

Gosford, Australia
chunter wrote:
breakphase wrote:

Yeah but who said that's what emo was about? Early emo was more about introspective/spiritual lyrics, and a certain type of dissonant and spooky instrumentation. I think the backlash against it is quite interesting.

I wish I could remember band names to put a finger on it for you. The negative first impression was a suburban white kid singing punk music that whines about childhood/adolescence, particularly, consider people who took that same aspect of early 90s alternative seriously. (For contrast, I thought grunge was whiny too.)

the used
hawthorne heights
my chemical romance
senses fail
emery
funeral for a friend
underoath
afi

just listing the usual suspects haha
i like most of those bands tbh

Victory Road wrote:
chunter wrote:

I wish I could remember band names to put a finger on it for you. The negative first impression was a suburban white kid singing punk music that whines about childhood/adolescence, particularly, consider people who took that same aspect of early 90s alternative seriously. (For contrast, I thought grunge was whiny too.)

the used
hawthorne heights
my chemical romance
senses fail
emery
funeral for a friend
underoath
afi

just listing the usual suspects haha
i like most of those bands tbh

Woaaahhh. Wrong! All of these bands were when emo was well-established and hitting the mainstream. Early emo consisted more of bands like

Jawbreaker
Sunny Day Real Estate
American Football
Braid
The Promise Ring
Cap'n Jazz
Mineral

In the last couple years there's been a bit of a resurgence in the vain of early emo (coined "emo revival" from blogs like pitchfork) with bands like Empire! Empire! (i was a lonely estate), Modern Baseball, The World Is A Beautiful Place..., and others.

NC in the US of America
STereochan wrote:

(Anamanaguchi have brought that to it's pinnacle imo)

hmm
Aamaananamananaughcihi's sound always gets lost to me somewhere between "here" and "there". My favorite of their songs is "Prom Night", one of two that doesn't even sound like Anamamgmmnugichi. Hehe.

Really glad Crying exists to give me something in that style that I can feel..  Doing things that amagamangunihci don't. filling that hole in my heart now i can go out happy ;-;

STereochan wrote:

]I'd love to hear some actually aggressive and crazy bands pop up.

Here here!
It's too bad complaining and wishing for people to do things you want doesn't make it any more likely to happen sad

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Dec 7, 2014 6:40 am)

Playboy Man-Baby
STereochan wrote:

Subjectively I'm fucking sick of the association of happy-go-lucky bleeps and bloops and 8bit music (Anamanaguchi have brought that to it's pinnacle imo) and I'd love to hear some actually aggressive and crazy bands pop up.

Stand by for my band(chip + punk/new wave/noise)'s eventual album release i guess idk.

Or just go to one of my shows as IRH wherein I'm half-naked and scraping my torso against the floor while doing lsdj shit with instruments that are like VF7 and 190bpm. I played a show in NY during tour where during my set I got two strangers in the audience to physically wrestle on a hardwood floor over a gameboy I rigged up with prelisten in lsdj.

Other tour highlights included moshing in the audience mid-song, some bloody knees/elbows, screaming about CIA conspiracies and veganism, an almost broken knee, and a head-on-head collision with someone in the audience. The songs were reflective of this, if there was any doubt.

The point: chipthrash peeps are out there (shoutout to datathrash records, but there's non-label dudes too), playing shows in basements alongside hardcore/harsh noise acts and telling twinkly bleepbloop chipmusic to get fucked.

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Dec 7, 2014 9:57 am)

Gosford, Australia
arlen wrote:

Woaaahhh. Wrong!

well yeah, but i never felt like it was socially divisive until the trend went a bit more mainstream, like 03/04. did people ever get mad about texas is the reason? i'm too young to really appreciate late 90's alt culture i guess :v

Brunswick, GA USA
Victory Road wrote:
arlen wrote:

Woaaahhh. Wrong!

well yeah, but i never felt like it was socially divisive until the trend went a bit more mainstream, like 03/04. did people ever get mad about texas is the reason? i'm too young to really appreciate late 90's alt culture i guess :v

Most of those bands (AFI, MCR, etc) were an off-handed pop/metal to me, may as well have been Fallout Boy or Linkin Park.

It's funny how it only takes 3 seconds for the popular idea of what a genre is to get messed up.

TSSBAY01

i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion i will not enter this discussion

Gosford, Australia
chunter wrote:

It's funny how it only takes 3 seconds for the popular idea of what a genre is to get messed up.

i'll drink to that!

UK, Leicester
tempsoundsolutions wrote:

words

u made the correct decision

Kiel, Germany
Invisible Robot Hands wrote:

The point: chipthrash peeps are out there (shoutout to datathrash records, but there's non-label dudes too), playing shows in basements alongside hardcore/harsh noise acts and telling twinkly bleepbloop chipmusic to get fucked.

Yeah, but most of those are pretty bad too. Especially the Datathrash stuff is usually just adapting pre-existing genre forms without any interesting songwriting or experimentation beyond "look at all these crazy noises I can make". Basically, what's amiss is bands taking the chip sounds at face value instead of invoking nostalgia with overly happy and video gamey melodies.

Playboy Man-Baby
STereochan wrote:
Invisible Robot Hands wrote:

Basically, what's amiss is bands taking the chip sounds at face value instead of invoking nostalgia with overly happy and video gamey melodies.

I dunno, that isn't a thing I've noticed in chipthrash, which is why I mentioned chipthrash.

At the very minimum, the music that local friends and I do with lsdj has no "nostalgia angle" to it. When I'm writing the music at home it's just like "in spite of what I have available (DMG-01), can I actualize this musical idea that I had in my head?" and then when I play it's just "I'm performing music." There's no step where I'm like "Look at these crazy noises u guize it's like EVIL videogame music!!lolol" or "It's cool dark music but it's all on a gameboy wowww". I just show up and do my thing like I would with a guitar, and if anyone asks about it after the show, I give them the technical details for a second. If crazy sounds happen in the song, it's because I came up with a song idea that involved crazy sounds, and then did my best to recreate those sounds verbatim outside my head using the gameboy.

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Dec 14, 2014 8:03 pm)

it's alright .

Hey! I just noticed this thread. I play guitar/LSDJ (and Twitter) in Crying and have def. made a post at some point that went something like, "please listen to our EP!"

I complain about a lot of the writeups calling us emo (we used to get described as, like, "Mario Kart meets Liz Phair"or whatever) because it means the people who seemingly have music authority aren't good at listening. I feel like most chiptune artists should understand how quickly you can be dismissed by someone that isn't actually paying attention or looking beyond the instrumentation. Everyone confusing your identity is frustrating, especially when half of the time, it's for the sake of SEO purposes. Our sound has very little to do with emo and I'm not going to accept a world where tastemakers have no idea what they're talking about. Threads/conversations like this are way more important to music than Pitchfork's twisted, pay-your-way posts, since they're two way in terms of communication.

I'm also really curious about this "rival" band, though. Have we met? Tell me when and where your next NYC show is!

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:40 pm)