theres more replies tearing apart my comment than helping, great community guys, really supportive

Los Angeles, CA
JodyBigfoot wrote:

theres more replies tearing apart my comment than helping, great community guys, really supportive

You claimed to have mastered two of the most powerful tools for music chipmusic has.  Of course you were ridiculed.

Some of you who posted could really have been more constructive like: "Here's a few links about NES/LGPT/Sega/whatever, but I think you should continue to use lsdj/nanoloop, they are really vast." instead of being completely obtuse about it. There's nothing to gain for anyone by ridiculing someone.

(This post is not directed at a certain post(er)!)

Oh and you mentioned Atari/Commodore, I don't know much about any Atari soft/gear, but if you're into hardware synths you could get a hold of a used SammichSid fairly easy & cheap, they're great little synths using 2x SID chips. Check maybe Mutable Instruments forum, Midibox forum for sell posts.

Last edited by _-_- (Dec 7, 2014 1:54 pm)

West Yorks, UK

LGPT (the best, and if u know lsdj, u know the pig, but has more stuff to "master"), picoloop, renoise, deflemask, klystrack (Win/Mac/Linux) Famitracker (mehhh) Pulsar, PR8, NTRQ, Cajones, DroNES,(NES) Mssiah p64 (c64), Protracker, OctaMED (Amiga) Maxymiser / Soundmon (Atari ST)

But you certainly havent mastered LSDJ or Nanoloop, methinks! Wheres ur tracks?!

São Paulo, Brazil

You don't need to abandon lsdj and nanoloop even if you (think you) mastered them. Just use all of them together with other programs.

(and yes, piggy)

buffalo, NY

What's great about "mastering" a particular platform is that then you can effectively translate exactly what's in your head to the sequencer big_smile

TSSBAY01

protools or logic, naturally

of course i am not claiming to be some kind of fucking Neo in the matrix, im just saying ive wrapped my heads around all the commands and wanted to learn some more software. And im not walking away from lsdj and nanoloop just dont need to learn any commands or anything, still got a lot of making to do...

thanks for the help from the people that actually helped

Dallas, Texas

Beepola

Sample based trackers are a great next step! Try LGPT, Milky/fasttracker 2, Schism/Impulse tracker for starters. Grab a bunch of 4 channel mods and listen to a lot of amazing music. Learn everything you can about the demoscene and the kinds of art that developed from it!

Or if you like FM, try out Deflemask or Adlib Tracker on MS-DOS!

Last edited by an0va (Dec 8, 2014 7:06 am)

Madison, WI

I remember when David Sugar told me he had stepped away from LSDJ because he had gotten everything he could out of it.  Then, a year or so later, people started doing those mad WAV dubstep wubs.

JodyBigfoot, there are a TON of areas you can focus on while staying in LSDJ/nano.  A TON TON TON TON TON TON TON.  Remember, these are musical instruments.  Similar to guitar, you wouldn't learn how to play a couple chords then say you were ready to move on to the next thing.  You'd write a song, you'd perform it, you'd record it.

Here are some things you can do with LSDJ/nano that will improve your abilities with ALL future platforms:

1. Get really good at one and two channel delays.
2. Get a basic knowledge of chord structure.  If you're already using arpeggios, try changing your habits around and pick something new.  Simply stepping my arps down from 0C to 0B changed the sound of my music significantly.
3. Perform somewhere.  Preferably for people that don't like chipmusic.  Do so well at it that you convert them.
4. Treat that DMG as an instrument, not as a self-contained universe.  Add some guitar on top of your music.  Write lyrics and sing along with it. Make it accessible.
5. Cover a song you hate - turn it into a song you enjoy.

I could go on and on.  Now that you have some knowledge of your instrument, do something cool with it!

nonfinite wrote:

I remember when David Sugar told me he had stepped away from LSDJ because he had gotten everything he could out of it.  Then, a year or so later, people started doing those mad WAV dubstep wubs.

JodyBigfoot, there are a TON of areas you can focus on while staying in LSDJ/nano.  A TON TON TON TON TON TON TON.  Remember, these are musical instruments.  Similar to guitar, you wouldn't learn how to play a couple chords then say you were ready to move on to the next thing.  You'd write a song, you'd perform it, you'd record it.

Here are some things you can do with LSDJ/nano that will improve your abilities with ALL future platforms:

1. Get really good at one and two channel delays.
2. Get a basic knowledge of chord structure.  If you're already using arpeggios, try changing your habits around and pick something new.  Simply stepping my arps down from 0C to 0B changed the sound of my music significantly.
3. Perform somewhere.  Preferably for people that don't like chipmusic.  Do so well at it that you convert them.
4. Treat that DMG as an instrument, not as a self-contained universe.  Add some guitar on top of your music.  Write lyrics and sing along with it. Make it accessible.
5. Cover a song you hate - turn it into a song you enjoy.

I could go on and on.  Now that you have some knowledge of your instrument, do something cool with it!

VERY constructive criticism, I appreciate it! To make it clear though, i was just saying i understand the software and want to learn more, maybe my phrasing was arrogant, but im a confident person and confidence helps me succeed. NOT walking away from LSDJ!! just looking to expand my pallette.

1.one and two channel delays are understood but I am choosing to use analogue delays ouside of the DMG as they sound a lot better and can be easily played with for feedabck time and amount etc

2.chords, have been one of my main focus' since i am making reggae I have many different techniques and when i have access to a camera I will be amking tutorials based on what i've learned, making one DMG and two DMG chords

3.perform somewhere - yes!! i need to as soon as my current setlist is wrapped up. I'm testing it on the north east's biggest soundsystem in january

4. yeah you are right, it can get hard when its so tedious to do the details and its a hard instrument to play live with the keyboard!

5.i'm making a cover album as a side project, but its from songs i love into songs i love ha ha

thanks bro

Last edited by JodyBigfoot (Dec 8, 2014 3:26 pm)

Seattle, WA
JodyBigfoot wrote:

I think you're mistaking making fun of your post for making fun of you.

Dire Hit wrote:
JodyBigfoot wrote:

I think you're mistaking making fun of your post for making fun of you.

either way what good does it do

California

Not much, but for better or for worse that's the type of culture that's been built up here.

Anyways, like other people have said there's tons of options for different programs outside of LSDJ and Nanoloop, and a lot of them are nearly or totally free as well so if you want some more stuff to learn you could just go out and download them all!

Last edited by VCMG (Dec 8, 2014 5:39 pm)

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:36 pm)