Robotcity, the year 20XX

Hello there! I find preparing kits for LSDJ a complete incremental process. Probably because I am a sound noob. Now the tutorials that are online (from adventure kid and little-scale) could really need an update I guess.

So, anyone here who is willing to write an up to date sample in LSDJ tutorial? Like, what kind of frame rates do you use, bit rate, etc. I find it kind of surprising how little is out there on this subject. Or am I searching in the wrong places?

NC in the US of America

All the tutorials I've seen addressed exactly those things... o.O

Oklahoma City, OK

2xAA did a nice tutorial on sample kit patching. Though, he is using a mac and idk what you are using, but I imagine the process shouldn't change much, if at all. Hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGeVrW5Jxww

Riverside, CA

I just EQ and import, works for me...

Gosford, Australia

what exactly isn't up to date about the current resources?

that youtube video explains it all

Robotcity, the year 20XX

Ah that YouTube tutorial by Sam looks promising! Gonna check it out when I am home from work.

Let me rephrase myself a little bit:
First of all, I am a complete idiot. And the adventure kid tutorial cuts corners IMHO. At least for me.
I cannot find all software for the little scale tutorial and I get unsatisfying results using ableton

I am making piano kits and know for a fact that they are doable with less noise than my latest efforts.
So I was just wondering how you guys prepare samples, sharing tips and tricks and stuff

Last edited by Men of Mega (Dec 8, 2014 6:59 am)

Seattle, WA

If you're looking FOR a tutorial don't phrase thread titles like they are tutorials.

Gosford, Australia
Men of Mega wrote:

I cannot find all software for the little scale tutorial and I get unsatisfying results using ableton

bias is owned by another company so you'll have to get PEAK elsewhere
i think you can do the same stuff with goldwave or audacity tho

Just use Audacity. It's free on all platforms. tongue

hiding under your bed

-Find audio you want to use
-Import into audacity, goldwave, whatever
-Cut it up to however you need it
-Increase volume by 200% (most of the time, anyway)
-Export as .wav
-Import into LSDPatcher
-

(for the record it does sound better IRL, my phone doesn't have such a great mic for recording video)

Last edited by PianoGameboy (Dec 8, 2014 9:05 am)

Bristol, UK

I just follow Little Scale's tutorial, using Audacity, add shit loads of gain, then keep testing in an emulator to gauge whether it needs to be louder or not. I think the part about the nquist frequency means you filter out anything above that frequency? And it's easy to set the sample rate in Audacity to the one mentioned in the tutorial.

Once you get it right you'll realise you can easily get your kits way louder than the stock ones and never want to use them again.
For example, check out the kick/snare in this: https://tommycreep.bandcamp.com/track/monster

Filter out everything above 5734hz, also boost some mids and remove some low-end bass.
Normalize after filtering, then add gain w/ a limiter to push the dynamics. Add a super quick fade-out at the end and you're good to go.

As for dithering, I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't impact the sound quality much or at all.

I'll consider writing a tutorial once I have some time on my hands.

_-_- wrote:

Filter out everything above 5734hz, also boost some mids and remove some low-end bass.
Normalize after filtering, then add gain w/ a limiter to push the dynamics. Add a super quick fade-out at the end and you're good to go.

As for dithering, I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't impact the sound quality much or at all.

I'll consider writing a tutorial once I have some time on my hands.

Thats the details i think he was looking for!

Detroit

To be honest with the antispike fix you really don't need to do anything except make it the desired volume, all my kits come out ultra clean from the get-go

Hmm... I don't agree with that. I think it does make a big difference if you spend a lot of time prepping the samples.
EDIT: But yeah, it does sound good anyway, but I personally wasn't content with it.

Last edited by _-_- (Dec 8, 2014 11:32 am)