Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Hi, so I was testing out a Compaq Proliena 6150e I've had for awhile, it has a Pent Pro Socket 8 @ 150MHz and 32M of ram. I have some OPL3 options I can install, SB2800, Labway YMF719 or Labway YMF 724 as well as some Audigy 1 or 2 cards. So will be loading AT II but wanted some other Trackers or Midi seq softs. I'm very midi 'centric, so Midi In/Out options is the way I plan on going.
  Was thinking of trying OpenMPT and Seq24 (not sure if this will run in Win98 SE), but are there others you would recommend? Any trackers for duel OPL cards? Any other cool stuff I should use?
Yogi

since you have opl cards, freq monster 801 and midi yoke might be interesting with openmpt.

the only other options i can think of are dos-based trackers with mpu-401 support like edlib, ft2, and impulse tracker.

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Thanks for the input. Will deff be using FM801, have it on a Dell box running XP: very fun! And Midi Yoke/Ox as well, noticed some XG and  FM synth stuff at Jerry's site that look interesting also.
So the tentative A Team list:
Trackers;
AT II
FerqMonster 801 (Midi in automation)
Milky Tracker (Midi Note in)
Schism Tracker (has basic Midi Start/Stop/Cont in)
OpenMPT (more advanced Midi I/O)

Midi Seq:
  Seq24 ( light weight loop based seq)
  ZTracker ( IT style Midi seq)

GM Midi Seq:
  XGWorks (Win 98 seq)
  Voyetra  SeqPlus Gold (DOS)

So I'll probability try some others also, but this machine may be too fast for some really old DOS stuff and may be too slow for some of the newer Win98 stuff. Awhile back watched a Youtube with Edlib running two OPL3 cards (or was it Adlibs), but there was no details how they did that.
  Upgrade options are limited by the Socket 8 Mobo, although it's interesting in a rarity sense to the retro PC collector crowd. I could increase the RAM to 128M and try over clocking.
  Would also like to hear from anyone using FreeDOS. Can/should I replace MSDOS from the Win98SE install? I plan to apply one of the Unofficial Win update packages and KernalEX. Will this be a problem with FreeDOS?
Yogi

yogi wrote:

Awhile back watched a Youtube with Edlib running two OPL3 cards (or was it Adlibs), but there was no details how they did that.

iirc both a genuine ymf262 card and a crystal card somehow used the same I/O address for fm (default is 388). apparently crystal's drivers like to be put into resource conflicts.

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
menthes wrote:
yogi wrote:

Awhile back watched a Youtube with Edlib running two OPL3 cards (or was it Adlibs), but there was no details how they did that.

iirc both a genuine ymf262 card and a crystal card somehow used the same I/O address for fm (default is 388). apparently crystal's drivers like to be put into resource conflicts.

Hmm interesting, I wouldn't of thought that was possible but they did have it working somehow. When I was researching, I got a bit excited reading that Scream handled both Adlib and Gus. But it was short lived. it's a either/or setup I think. Finding a tracker that handled samples and FM would rock; but seems like that is probable asking too much. In the day, a PC with TWO sound cards was rare as hens teeth; things have changed so much.
Yogi