Hi all, I read about this phenomenon somewhere and probably this poor DMG is afflicted by it.
Is it, as I think, unfixable?

Thanks

looks cool as fuck. maybe a new screen is the only fix though

edit- im no expert

Last edited by JodyBigfoot (Jan 4, 2015 5:36 pm)

is your avatar from links awakening?

JodyBigfoot wrote:

is your avatar from links awakening?

It is indeed smile

A deeper search on the forums gave me the answer sad

thursdaycustoms wrote:

Cancer is the black spots on the LCD where the liquid crystals have broken loose. It's called cancer because it can't be fixed and usually spreads over time.

I also read some time ago that Kitsch was working on a screen replacement but I can't find the thread anymore.

Thats an awful shame, im sure you could get a screen from a cheap ebay gameboy

and big up the avatar

Yeah, I have a bunch of other DMGs, it's just sad since it's my first ill display sad
I'll keep my eyes peeled anyway, in case kitsch comes out with a modern replacement.

if he did it would be cool as fuck if it came pre backlit with a contrast increase, imagine that!

matt's mind

the LCD screens have been done for some time.  I expected to have them out a LONG time ago, but the whole project was really, really ambitious and I ran into all sorts of issues which just weighed progress entirely down.  my eyes were bigger than my stomach, as they say.

so, i decided that instead of releasing the project as i'd like at first it'd be best to get a basic version (same functionality as the original LCD board, not much more) out now, and then build upon that rather than the other way around.  besides, i think most people would be in for the basic version anyways.

so, that is whats going on with those.  at this very moment I've got the latest revision being assembled right now and it should be straightforward tbh.  its not nearly as difficult at this point, and this aspect I've gotten working before easily it was mainly the video out that was giving me the headache.  so, all-in-all, it will be just like before...  there will be multiple variations and prices depending on the features, but rather than have them released all at the outset like I've been intending, I'll be releasing them as new-improved versions but still make/support the basic varieties.  in the end, there will be the exact same products in the shop.  just sooner and staggered, not later and all-at-once.  this also decreases the support/etc load, because the basic version won't do much more than work or not work, and the install is obvious. 

sorry about all the delays.  its annoying to me much more than it is to you, believe me...  i want nothing more to get these wrapped up!

Whateverville, California
kitsch wrote:

sorry about all the delays.  its annoying to me much more than it is to you, believe me...  i want nothing more to get these wrapped up!

Anything worth doing is hardly ever easy. And as far as I'm concerned, usually worth waiting for. I've been impressed by the level of dedication team KB has shown in my experience with y'all. The fact that you're making this product at all is a huge deal, (to me at least). Thanks dude(s).

kitsch wrote:

the LCD screens have been done for some time. [...]

This feels like a second Christmas big_smile
Thank you very much Kitsch!

Italy

might need one of those as well, my screens are all loosing lines on the sides.

Missing columns are easily fixable (there are lots of tutorials for this), missing lines are unfixable AFAIK.

Italy

I actually wanted to say columns... i.e. they are vertical on mine.
I need to search the web for fixes then. thanks!

rumpelfilter wrote:

I actually wanted to say columns... i.e. they are vertical on mine.
I need to search the web for fixes then. thanks!

Here you go. I just made one a little over a week ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XLVWjMo9fI

Italy

@Apeshit: cool thing! Thanks a lot for this one! I'll let you know how it goes!