Turku, FIN
JodyBigfoot wrote:

expand? whats a gimmick in chip music?

I think a lot of 8 bit reggae is done with samples or synths like chipsounds instead of hardware

I hear a lot of mario samples for example, and what some could call easy production techniques. Not that i don't mind, i think it's a good fit with the style.

Last edited by KeFF (Jan 9, 2015 10:07 am)

yeah i hear ya man. check out these for non mario sampling super hardcore LSDJ skills.

The scene is definitely in its infancy compared to the established chip scene, and I think it could benefit from more hardware experimentation etc but some people are still absolutely killing it as it is. check out this playlist from french producer wellwell and various reggae singers

https://soundcloud.com/wellwellsound/se … lwellsound

Turku, FIN

I know all these and much more very good stuff and i've been really liking all the 8bitreggae in recent years. q330 is the boss of course.

I think that the disrupts lsdj album is just what i tried to explain about the techniques side. It's great composingwise, but the sound design is very basic lsdj stuff and nowadays that makes my ears hurt, no matter what the genre is.

Yeah I understand, I guess that's where 8 bit reggae can hit a bit of a block, because old school reggae riddims are so simple you either do what you are saying or you start to drift away from the genre basis.

I have found in my recent productions and my first rap album with helgeland 8 bit squad that we do the the latter, drifting away from the strictly reggae side, and entering a new unchartered territory where we don't really have a pigeon hole, apart from something like "8 bit reggae hip hop" but its not reggae...this is where genres and pigeon holing start to annoy me. we make music ...

France (au milieu)
JodyBigfoot wrote:

this is where genres and pigeon holing start to annoy me. we make music ...

yep!

can we get some more links to some lsdj dub going, the 2 mentioned above are the only ones i myself can even think of...

well unfortunately there isnt an awful lot, most the 8 bit reggae producers are using laptops. I have recently invested in a dub set up and LSDJ etc but whilst learning the ropes I've mostly made some pretty heavy grimey stuff and hip hop beats with an influence of reggae dub. so I'm gonna wrap up that rap release and then get started on serious live dubbing productions with dual LSDJ.

I'd love to have have people on board making the backbone of LSDJ projects to be dubbed and voiced

google has shown me a couple more lone rangers

http://droidon.bandcamp.com/album/dub-4-machine-2

https://ucollective.org/audio/Musho/umb … dubreggae/

Turku, FIN

i guess i have to record some of the older ones!

Yes AYE or send them through to me once I have a home to set the dub studio up in! I recently invested all my money in equipment and was left a little homeless.... gonna work that one out and get straight into it

KeFF wrote:

I think that the disrupts lsdj album is just what i tried to explain about the techniques side. It's great composingwise, but the sound design is very basic lsdj stuff and nowadays that makes my ears hurt, no matter what the genre is.

Agreed! A lot of 8bit reggae is hard to listen to cause the sound design and instrumentation sounds so generic. I gotta go back to metrodub and find some gems, but I remember skipping through releases and many sounded super generic as far as sound/synthesis. One of my fav chip reggae traks is by ???. The song is called machine gum. It's impossible for me to find cause his name messes with search results. He changed his name actually but I don't remember what he changed it to.

Gave that Japanese reggae album a listen recently and although the music was good, the vocals were terribly mixed (too loud in the mix, and very dry)and that made it a bit unpleasant for me.

I've been meaning to make some reggae for quite some time. I plan on doing a release in the future. I think it's awesome that 8-bit reggae has it's own scene, and a book! Wow! Can't wait to see the scene grow.

matt's mind

there are a few ??? tracks in the flashplayer down on the bottom of my site

but if someone knows of more please share!

http://www.vektarecords.com/releases/vr004/

A dubby album. Really really well done. One of my favs

I think it's really interesting the comments on sound design and instrumentation. I'm going to try and take that on board whenI start my next project.

This first thing I've been piecing together has been made as a learning process of LSDJ and now I know how everything works I need to really make it work for me. As i said before if any LSDJ heads are interested in getting stuck into the dubby stuff with me feel free to get in touch, my a full dubbing studio is ready in boxes... big_smile

Antwerp, Belgium
kitsch wrote:

there are a few ??? tracks in the flashplayer down on the bottom of my site

but if someone knows of more please share!

??? is the best. Most of you will probably know this chipflip release but I am always very very happy to share it because it is so so so good!

http://goto80.com/chipflip/04/

Sorry about the mix on the vocals .. I tried hard to make them clear and stand out above the chip parts but maybe I tried too hard.. I'll try and drop the level / flatten mids a bit and add some more reverb I guess?