Los Angeles, CA

Yeah, .sav loading being slow is a known problem. For what it's worth, it's a lot faster JITed (running through pypy, for example), but that's probably more of a consequence of bread being a bit too clever with class internals for its own good. I've considered switching the backend to construct, but perfect is the enemy of done.

If you're not working off 2.0, you should be. I did a pretty big refactor of instrument internals last night that I'm still writing tests for / debugging.

Yeah I tried to use construct as well, but I find bread is better (even if slower)

I'll try to update to 2.0, I still have some tests failing in python3, but there is progress.

Los Angeles, CA

An update:

pylsdj 2.3.0 should resolve a lot of the speed problems that have plagued the library in the past. I added in a bunch of lazy loading that wasn't there before, and it appears to have sped things up substantially.

I won't spam this thread with future update announcements; if you'd like to stay current with pylsdj's development, here's an RSS feed:

https://github.com/alexras/pylsdj/commits/master.atom

Earth

Hey Alexras, nice work! I haven't spent too much time with this yet, but I'm excited that you seem to hhave made a way to import/export instruments. I didn't see any wavetable data in the .lsdinst files. Is there a way to include those in the instruments?

Edit, nm I figured it out, dur. So you can't write the wave data to a sav file though? Is that correct? You say in the docs, "Note that waves in pylsdj are read-only, since updating parameters will invalidate the raw waves." Sorry just trying to understand if there are any limitations.

Last edited by breakphase (Jan 26, 2015 4:08 am)

Los Angeles, CA

Ah, yeah the docs are a bit misleading here. You can change the individual waves to your heart's content, but the other synth settings (volume, cutoff, phase, etc) won't stay synchronized with the wave.

In any event, the waves are just 32 hex nibbles, and can be edited just like an array of numbers.

**Edit**: wait, actually I spoke too soon. Turns out I _did_ make the waves read-only. If that's something you feel should be relaxed (because yolo, who cares about consistency between parameters and waves) then let me know. I'm clearly not super invested in the idea.

Last edited by alexras (Jan 26, 2015 5:03 am)

alexras wrote:

**Edit**: wait, actually I spoke too soon. Turns out I _did_ make the waves read-only. If that's something you feel should be relaxed (because yolo, who cares about consistency between parameters and waves) then let me know. I'm clearly not super invested in the idea.

In fact, I think that lsdj asks for a confirmation if we try to manually override the waves.
The field is "wave_synth_overwrite_lock".
I though that if it on, lsdj with use hand drawn waves. And synth settings won't be synchronuized, that's normal.
If it is off, lsdj will use waves generated in the synth screen.

I am wrong?

I think it would be great to have it read/write, to 'upload' custom samples without patching the kits in the ROM

Unsubscribe

If this is still being worked on, id love the ability to audit drum samples, so the tool can tell me what kits are being use and which are not, so I can decide which of the stock kits I can ditch to replace with my own easily.