Hey, just discovered this place. I was wondering if anyone knew about a dealer or something, that is able to make 50-100 nintendo 8bit system cartridges with my music on em?

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:23 am)

In Cubase, using various program plug ins like Massive, chipsounds, pluss different voice samples, and guitar. Is that possible to even get over on cartridge? Or does it have to be made on gameboys and trackers etc.

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

I would recommend you talk to INL
http://www.infiniteneslives.com/products.php
He produces Flash based carts in a number of mappers and has assisted with some resent  NES album releases. Infinite NES Lives (Paul) mainly hangs out at nesdev.com forums. A good guy in my book smile
Yogi

Michigan

you wont be able to put you songs on a cart with the programs you are using to make them. you'll need to use famitracker to transcribe those songs to a file thats playable on the nes.

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
Darkhan wrote:

In Cubase, using various program plug ins like Massive, chipsounds, pluss different voice samples, and guitar. Is that possible to even get over on cartridge? Or does it have to be made on gameboys and trackers etc.

Well in this case you will have a problem. To "play" a song on NES hardware you are accessing the Sound generator registers. There are several ways to compose, FamiTracker is a very popular one as well as Deflemask. The point being that these tools produce code that runs on the micro processor of the NES.
Your studio process is a very valid way to create chiptunes but the audio mix will not run on the restricted hardware of the console smile Do you have a bandcamp page, would like to hear.
Yogi

Ahaa, I get it. How will milky tracker work? One or the other tracking programs better than the other?
No I don't have bandcamp for my bit music yet, I play guitar in two other bands, so the chiptunes is on the side. Im thinking a half year ahead in time kinda of. Ive made some demos, n some starters/ideas for up coming songs, as well as a inspired bit song, but with more of a new age element. I was planing to sit down to learn me milkytracker, but didn't get a chance yet.

Youngstown, OH

If you really want to get it on a NES cart, focus on learning famitracker. That'll be your best bet.

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
Darkhan wrote:

Ahaa, I get it. How will milky tracker work? One or the other tracking programs better than the other?

Milky Tracker is one of the modern MOD trackers, which relies on samples of waveforms, not unlike Cubase. The MOD tracker dates back to early days of PC music and the Demoscene. MOD files have an inherent compact size, including the note data and only the sample waveforms used.  But again produces an audio stream on the PC as the main output. The 'Tracker' UI is a style of composing that some enjoy over the more common 'Piano Roll' UI and this style allows better control in some ways.
  The console specific tracker programs can create audio files but with the help of emulator code that re-creates the console's hardware with-in PC software. The core of these trackers 'speak' the native code of the target console.
  There are software attempts to convert between some consoles and MOD files or Midi files. But these face the limitation of the target system and are a bit like "fitting a square peg in a round hole".

Darkhan wrote:

No I don't have bandcamp for my bit music yet, I play guitar in two other bands, so the chiptunes is on the side. Im thinking a half year ahead in time kinda of. Ive made some demos, n some starters/ideas for up coming songs, as well as a inspired bit song, but with more of a new age element. I was planing to sit down to learn me milkytracker, but didn't get a chance yet.

Oh OK. Would love to hear when you release some. I would say that 'chiptunes' in general encompass a diverse range of genres, everything from the traditional 'in game' type of music to ambient electro drone and jazz, ( but I've yet to hear any Country and Western chip). Everyone has a preference but almost all will respect the effort in dealing with the limitations of the instrument.
Welcome aboard,
Yogi

Whateverville, California

Hey man, welcome to tracking! I'm a proponent of Famitracker all the way. It's got a fun and easy to learn UI and it sounds awesome. The channel specific .wav export is pretty nice, and you can't beat it's NSF export function either.

yogi wrote:

The console specific tracker programs can create audio files but with the help of emulator code that re-creates the console's hardware with-in PC software. The core of these trackers 'speak' the native code of the target console.
  There are software attempts to convert between some consoles and MOD files or Midi files. But these face the limitation of the target system and are a bit like "fitting a square peg in a round hole".

This brings up a few questions I've been meaning to ask, If one has cart copies of Pulsar or Ntraq, what's required to get the song data from the carts and hopefully into NSF format on a PC? Is there some sort of NES card reader out there? After you get the song data, how do you go about compiling it into NSF?

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
Imaginary wrote:

Hey man, welcome to tracking! I'm a proponent of Famitracker all the way. It's got a fun and easy to learn UI and it sounds awesome. The channel specific .wav export is pretty nice, and you can't beat it's NSF export function either.

yogi wrote:

This brings up a few questions I've been meaning to ask, If one has cart copies of Pulsar or Ntraq, what's required to get the song data from the carts and hopefully into NSF format on a PC? Is there some sort of NES card reader out there? After you get the song data, how do you go about compiling it into NSF?

For my setup I have INL flash carts and the Kazzo cart edge programmer. This allows me to move Save data between the NES and Nestopia running Pulsar. But there isn't really a way to get a NSF out of the deal, that I know of.
I imagine the PowerPak or EverDrive flash carts can do similar if that helps. Probably more flexible also; INL's focus is more on the Repo/homebrew cart community rather then dumping ROMs and the original Japanese Kazzo project software documentation does not translate well with Google. So it's difficult to write/change the dumping scripts for it. But I lucked out and figured out how to do the SNROM and SXROM mappers.
EDIT Also wanted to say that the Kazzo hardware will also dump/load save files from a rechiped cart; so if you take a SNROM cart and replace the PRG rom with a NTRQ EPROM, you can access the Save data in the battery backed WRAM as described above.

Yogi

Last edited by yogi (Feb 2, 2015 1:10 am)

Dallas, Texas

It should also be noted that you will have to have some nsf player code to get the nsfs to play on the console. I don't use Fami so I'm unaware if it is capable of exporting a complete .NES rom.

The easiest way by far is to compile all your tracks into a multi song nsf. then get a copy of vegaplay and compile that using your multi nsf. Which brings up another point, Fami can surely export a multi nsf right guys?? I use MML for everything so I'm not to knowledgeable about Famitracker.

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
TylerBarnes wrote:

It should also be noted that you will have to have some nsf player code to get the nsfs to play on the console. I don't use Fami so I'm unaware if it is capable of exporting a complete .NES rom.

The easiest way by far is to compile all your tracks into a multi song nsf. then get a copy of vegaplay and compile that using your multi nsf. Which brings up another point, Fami can surely export a multi nsf right guys?? I use MML for everything so I'm not to knowledgeable about Famitracker.

FamiTracker exports to a selection of file types .nes, .prg, .bin, .asm as well as .nsf. And does multi-song nsf also
Yogi

Damn, great help! Thx a ton. Ill hook myself up with a famitracker, seems like it only works on a pc? And not on mac? Is there also a youtube guide or something about famitracker wich someone recommends? I remember starting watching a guy from Sweden having a really good turtorial about Milky Tracker, explaing like a TON.

The only stuff I have out is from my band

https://soundcloud.com/d4rkh4n/sodoma-o … ra/s-pysbk

https://soundcloud.com/d4rkh4n/messalina/s-YHMC7

And some 8bit inspired school project I made, wich I myself! Think is pretty neat;p

https://soundcloud.com/d4rkh4n/krysst

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
Darkhan wrote:

Damn, great help! Thx a ton. Ill hook myself up with a famitracker, seems like it only works on a pc? And not on mac? Is there also a youtube guide or something about famitracker wich someone recommends? I remember starting watching a guy from Sweden having a really good turtorial about Milky Tracker, explaing like a TON.

The only stuff I have out is from my band

https://soundcloud.com/d4rkh4n/sodoma-o … ra/s-pysbk

https://soundcloud.com/d4rkh4n/messalina/s-YHMC7

And some 8bit inspired school project I made, wich I myself! Think is pretty neat;p

https://soundcloud.com/d4rkh4n/krysst

Cool, I agree, lik'n krysst alot
   Can't help too much with a Youtube but there is lots of help on the Famitracker forum.
Here is a NES rom by Neil Bladwin that my intrest you, droNES
http://marmotaudio.co.uk/shop/
Alot of atypical sonics. No save function, live improve. Fairly easy to burn to a cart.
Yogi

Nice thx:)