Florida

Hey, all! I'm fairly new here on cm.o, but I've been making chiptunes for a few years. For some time, I've wanted to release something akin to x|k's Baud of Passion, i.e. an album in two versions, one of which has the songs as they are composed and one of which has the songs linked together like a dance mix. (Not that I'm trying to compare myself to x|k's greatness; I just like the idea). I have a few songs lined up and would like to make a few more, but I wanted to know if anyone here has any advice on a decent/the best way to go about recording it something like that. And while we're at it, I also wanted to know how everyone decides what goes on an album. What's your method of determining what goes on your releases and what remains a single or gets lost in the mountains of submitted-to-the-internet tracks?

Minneapolis, MN

As far as recording goes, I don't know too much.
EDIT: When I did have some songs that ran together pretty well, the guy who mastered my music took care of that, edited them together, and got the timing right and everything.

But as far as whats songs I use; I submit a lot of the unmastered singles, here and on soundcloud, and I figure out which ones get the most plays, positive feedback, ect. and then I will normally use those, as well as 3-8 others that I have not previously released.

Last edited by TEOMAWKI (Feb 9, 2015 4:46 pm)

atm the minute im recording channel by channel so i can EQ and add reverb/delay to each channel seperately, but other people have different methods and this is my first session recording from LSDJ, so far so good...

what goes on an album??

either plan your album from scratch with a vibe for each tune, and planned themes + progression, or just make a whole bunch of tunes and find which piece together best, and how.

i would go for the latter myself cos plans change and things digress. I did the latter and the album was a success, soon to be released.. have fun .. and make love

Seattle, WA

Since you're recording channel by channel just make it like a dance mix. Put parts that sound good together and fade between them, or build to a more sudden transition. If you make the whole album one long mix you can find the best transition points between songs and divide the tracks at those points.

Florida
TEOMAWKI wrote:

But as far as whats songs I use; I submit a lot of the unmastered singles, here and on soundcloud, and I figure out which ones get the most plays, positive feedback, ect. and then I will normally use those, as well as 3-8 others that I have not previously released.

That's actually not a bad idea and I was considering it. Thanks for the affirmation :3

Dire Hit wrote:

If you make the whole album one long mix you can find the best transition points between songs and divide the tracks at those points.

That's kind of also what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the tip.

Dire Hit wrote:

Since you're recording channel by channel just make it like a dance mix. Put parts that sound good together and fade between them, or build to a more sudden transition.

I have tried recording channel by channel before and had such trouble trying to get them lined up perfectly in Audacity that I just gave up and recorded all channels simultaneously. I've been recording whole songs as they play on the Game Boy and have had no trouble with it at all.

Seattle, WA
Sonus Silver wrote:
TEOMAWKI wrote:

That's actually not a bad idea and I was considering it. Thanks for the affirmation :3

Dire Hit wrote:

If you make the whole album one long mix you can find the best transition points between songs and divide the tracks at those points.

That's kind of also what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the tip.

Dire Hit wrote:

Since you're recording channel by channel just make it like a dance mix. Put parts that sound good together and fade between them, or build to a more sudden transition.

I have tried recording channel by channel before and had such trouble trying to get them lined up perfectly in Audacity that I just gave up and recorded all channels simultaneously. I've been recording whole songs as they play on the Game Boy and have had no trouble with it at all.

Try downloading some free DJ software and using that. You should be able to use audacity though, there's a move audio tool that actually took me a few years to find. It lets you slide the separate recordings into position. Ideally you'd want to use a more powerful DAW, like reaper (kinda free, check it out)