Chips & Dip :3
e.s.c. wrote:
metatronaut wrote:

LSDJ is a separate tracker from Famitracker so you don't need LSDJ if you're going that route.

LSDJ is something I would totally recommend. People usually (from what I've seen) get turned off by the controls but once you get used to it it's really fun to work with

I personally don't know of any z80 trackers though, and you can't produce z80 sounds from Fami and LSDJ. Famitracker uses chips like VRC6 and LSDJ uses the GB soundchip.

vr6 is just one of the expansion NES chips.. in most cases, (ie original music on NES carts besides the ones with expansion chips built into the carts) all of the sound comes from the 2a03

Ah ok. I thought they were 2 completely different things haha tongue

Guess ya' learn something new everyday tongue

e.s.c. wrote:
bitjacker wrote:

Dont mod anything starting out (you can take hiss out of recordings with audacity really easily)... get an ems cart from kitsch bent, donate some $'s to lsdj, get some rechargable aa, and get to work. i cant wait to hear some of your tunes. your atomic purple gbc will be a good tool.

i also totally agree with this statement... mods are not necessary by any means, especially if you take a little time learning the in and outs of audacity and/or your daw of choice... noise reduction done properly in software is way better than what just recording with a prosund modded game boy can do... hell, even with prosound modded game boys, i still run 1-2 passes of noise reduction on any game boy recordings

Also, it's better to just use a GBC or something inexpensive to start out so that if you truly don't like LSDJ, Nanoloop, or whatever it is you might be using, then you can just forget about it without regretting a huge investment.

Michigan
e.s.c. wrote:
bitjacker wrote:

Dont mod anything starting out (you can take hiss out of recordings with audacity really easily)... get an ems cart from kitsch bent, donate some $'s to lsdj, get some rechargable aa, and get to work. i cant wait to hear some of your tunes. your atomic purple gbc will be a good tool.

i also totally agree with this statement... mods are not necessary by any means, especially if you take a little time learning the in and outs of audacity and/or your daw of choice... noise reduction done properly in software is way better than what just recording with a prosund modded game boy can do... hell, even with prosound modded game boys, i still run 1-2 passes of noise reduction on any game boy recordings

I wish I was told this before the possible board damage sad If Audacity and Garage Band can handle noise, then I guess everything would work out; with the exception of me still needing a flash cart and lsdj. Backlight would be awesome though, but I do have a friend that had a Game Boy Light, maybe I could take it. I'm guessing the difference between that and the game boy color is nothing much.

Michigan
snesei wrote:
Princedmorn wrote:

Thank you for the response! I scanned over the websites and they seem interesting enough for me to full around with. If I were to use them, do I still need lsdj? I know I'll need it for my gameboy, but could I just use z80 sounds from those programs directly?

I would love to go to shows too! But are there any going on around the Michigan region?

There's actually a really cool house show in Ypsilanti going down this Friday with Bubblegum Octopus, Watabou, and Volcano Themed Bathroom

https://www.facebook.com/events/1059852407373733/

Facebook link wasn't working. Could you send a message with time/place/door cost and I'll try my best to make it out!

Edit; link might not work because I don't have a Facebook big_smile

Last edited by Princedmorn (Feb 18, 2015 8:10 pm)

Michigan
Dire Hit wrote:

Satie fan? You'll fit in just fine.

Thank you. His Nocturne collection holds higher value than Chopin, in my opinion.

IL, US

yeah, game boy light doesn't sound too different from a gbc (though its closer in sound to a game boy pocket, just a little hum from the lighting if i remember correctly)... audacity does noise removal very well, just always remember to have a few seconds both at the beginning and end of your recording that are supposed to be silent so you have something to work with.. having both intro and outro silence is particularly important with lsdj as the characteristics of the noise tend to be different before a track has been played and after (not sure exactly why this is, but i bet nitro2k01 knows)

Last edited by e.s.c. (Feb 18, 2015 8:12 pm)

IL, US

oh, a GBA SP might also suit you well.. they sound a little harsher in general, but some eq and post-production work can take care of that if its not to your liking... plus their backlit screens are very nice and crisp.. only hassle is getting one of the headphone adapters, but they shouldnt be too hard to find (seems like their were more than enough made, at one point i had over a dozen and would just give them out semi-randomly to people who didn't have at least two already)

e.s.c. wrote:

oh, a GBA SP might also suit you well.. they sound a little harsher in general, but some eq and post-production work can take care of that if its not to your liking... plus their backlit screens are very nice and crisp.. only hassle is getting one of the headphone adapters, but they shouldnt be too hard to find (seems like their were more than enough made, at one point i had over a dozen and would just give them out semi-randomly to people who didn't have at least two already)

DMG-01 FOR LYFE!!!!

Best sound quality (minus having to do noise reduction after recording, which you won't be escaping regardless what model you get)

Michigan

Deflemask does z80 so that shouldn't be an issue. Imo lsdj is easier to manipulate wav synths and has super easy effects tables. I'm not all that familiar with writing Delfemask as it felt overwhelming comparitvely.

As for that show in Ypsilanti, Snesei posted about it here, but he may have responded already. I'm going to do my best to be there, so we'll have a chance to catch up then.

IL, US
metatronaut wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

DMG-01 FOR LYFE!!!!

Best sound quality (minus having to do noise reduction after recording, which you won't be escaping regardless what model you get)

hey, i have a tattoo of a dmg, but still prefer the sound from a gba sp for most of my stuff... and im not alone, low-gain usually used sp's same with bubblyfish.. plus for those using lsdj, the extra processor power is very useful.. ive written a few tracks in lsdj that cause the dmg to become unresponsive

Michigan
e.s.c. wrote:
metatronaut wrote:

DMG-01 FOR LYFE!!!!

hey, i have a tattoo of a dmg, but still prefer the sound from a gba sp for most of my stuff... and im not alone, low-gain usually used sp's same with bubblyfish.. plus for those using lsdj, the extra processor power is very useful.. ive written a few tracks in lsdj that cause the dmg to become unresponsive

I guess that should be something else to consider, processor power. Is there a huge difference in what can be done between a original game boy and a game boy advance? Do the songs play smoother or is the interface easier to use? And since lsdj using the sound from the system, are there more available on the advance handhelds?

Again, sorry for all the questions. Just want to making sure I am doing this right.

Princedmorn wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

I guess that should be something else to consider, processor power. Is there a huge difference in what can be done between a original game boy and a game boy advance? Do the songs play smoother or is the interface easier to use? And since lsdj using the sound from the system, are there more available on the advance handhelds?

Again, sorry for all the questions. Just want to making sure I am doing this right.

Both are good options, whichever you prefer.

GBA takes 2xAA while DMG takes 4xAA
GBA < DMG when it comes to sound quality ( http://www.herbertweixelbaum.com/comparison.htm )
GBA/SP is smaller
Both don't come with a backlight (with the exception of the GBASP)
GBASP needs a rare-ish adapter for audio out and and even more rare adapter for charging/link AND audio out.
Link cables are different but you can find hybrids that have both types of inputs

Those are some of the things I remember/can think of (correct me if I'm wrong please!)

Michigan

Well everyone, I would like to thank you for all of the responses and the helpful advice; both here and through messages. I think I have a handle on what I need to do next:
I will use my CGB for now and was advised to purchase a Drag and Derp cartridge for LSDJ. This should hold my interests with the program, and from what I was told, last longer then normal because of no battery. (honestly didn't know there were batteries in cartridges).
Also downloading Deflemask right now to see if it would be easier to play with while I'm waiting for everything else.
I will not mod my clear purple gameboy, but since my teal one is already ripped apart, I'll try and do something with it /shrug
I will be re-transcribing my music, and now I can not wait to hear how it would sound through a gaming system!
Thank you all again for your input and for welcoming me.

Also, I do hope to make it to the show on Friday.

Gosford, Australia

drag and derp is an expensive option but it's also really good + you're supporting a rad australian chip dude (which is probably the best reason to buy a dnd imo!)

Detroit

Well, no one mentioned Nanoloop yet...it probably isn't as well-suited for transcribing your scores ( space is an issue, compared to lsdj) but it's great if you have any step-sequencer experience.

Also, I'm in the area as well.

Metro Detroit, MI

I thought I'd hop in here an say hello as well! I recently picked up a CGB at a local shop called Retro Taku Videogames (a pretty cool retro gaming store) and a flashcart with LSDJ. I just started playing around with it and realized the sound is pretty terrible on the CGB.

I  am looking for someone who would be willing to prosound mod it. I am more than happy to pay for parts and labor. I would love to meet up with someone in the Detroit area and not have to ship out the unit. Would love to get some tips and meet other people in the area that are making chiptune music as well. I am also considering doing a frontlight mod as well, but the prosound mod is most essential right now.