Chicago, IL

Hi Everyone,
forgive me if this info is here somewhere already but a cursory search didn't lead me to anything definitive. I got a commission to do a iOs game soundtrack in the style of the Sega Genesis. I did a small demo using VOPM and drum samples from various Sega Games. It's nice but I want to make some legit stuff, possibly using the console. I've used VGM Maker before and have a decent grasp on FM synthesis. The Gen MDM looks like exactly what I want, but, unless I've been looking in all the wrong places, it seems like my only chance to get one of those is to watch eBay and pay big money. So my question is, are there other options out there? Even if it's making a track in a tracker and somehow putting it on a cartridge or some sort of cartridge interface. It looks like there's a lsdj-style tracker in the works, but i'm not sure when that'd be out. Ideally, I'd like something that treats it like a hardware synth where I can midi out / audio back in.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by BeatScribe (Mar 6, 2015 11:53 am)

Brighton

Have you seen fmdrive ?
It's MIDI mapping is the same as GenMDM in case we ever do end up with the hardware.

Edit: Deflemask can also export a ROM to playback on a flashcart.

Last edited by radian (Mar 6, 2015 12:05 pm)

Chicago, IL
radian wrote:

Have you seen fmdrive ?
It's MIDI mapping is the same as GenMDM in case we ever do end up with the hardware.

Edit: Deflemask can also export a ROM to playback on a flashcart.

Something like this?
http://store.krikzz.com/products/mega-ed

São Paulo, Brazil

I recently did some tracks on vgmmm, created a rom with the music and played it on a chinese everdrive. It sounds great.

Chicago, IL
PULSELOOPER wrote:

I recently did some tracks on vgmmm, created a rom with the music and played it on a chinese everdrive. It sounds great.

that seems like the route i'll probably have to go. thanks!

Canada

I use deflemask and an everdrive. You can track in deflemask and export as rom/bin which plays when you select it via everdrive on the genesis. In my opinion, that's the easiest way to go.

Philly

Genny.  It uses the sound engine of a genesis/mega drive emulator.  It has the ability to log it's output as a .VGM file, which you can playback later on hardware.  Drum mapping is wonky but other than that it's pretty cool.

The biggest advantage is that since it's a VST you don't need to change your process at all.

Last edited by RatShack (Mar 6, 2015 11:45 pm)