Abandoned on Fire

I got hold of a prototype of Kitsch's amp_dmg Game Boy headphone/speaker amplifier replacement board.

It's a direct drop-in replacement with no cutting or drilling required.  The stock amp board is removed and the amp_dmg connects to your choice of prosound output (pre or post pot) and takes power from the regulator or other 5V source like a backlight or other mod would.  There's connections for the internal speaker as well but I didn't use it.

I've recorded a sound comparison of the stock output and the amp_dmg output using one of my LSDJ tracks here:

There is a noticeable volume increase but the most significant benefit for me is being able to write with headphones using the prosound output without needing an external amp.  Also, there's almost zero background hum from buttons presses etc when LSDJ isn't playing.

Kitsch is currently revising the design but when these become available I highly recommend them!  In fact, I already wish I'd gotten a few more!

Link to the amp_dmg entry on kitsch-bent: http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/amp_dmg

Last edited by egr (Mar 22, 2015 2:59 pm)

Atlanta, GA

I've been looking foward to these! Glad to hear that they aren't terrible haha.

Atlanta, GA

*:..。o○DoUbLe PoSt○o。..:*

Last edited by Ninten Kwon Do (Mar 20, 2015 1:43 am)

SLC, UT

Can you post a pic of this installed in your gameboy? I mean with the wires going to where they need to go? I sort of wish I could just desolder the wires from the existing amp and put them right into this.

Now if I could get the same thing for the voltage regulator.

Abandoned on Fire

I will tomorrow. Too late tonight, already in bed.

Paris

Paris

Also, will it work on a CBG?

Joliette, QC, Canada
Biere Gratuite wrote:

Also, will it work on a CBG?

I dont know if the gbc have the space to put it but Im pretty sure something like that exist for it !
Oh btw...t'as un maudit beau nom !!! Je veux ma Biere gratis !!! big_smile

Paris

Quand tu veux sur Paris mon ami.

Chips & Dip :3

niiiiiiice

Abandoned on Fire

Added wiring pic to first post.

Brooklon

Dang this looks nice

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ el ass dee j

Any update on this? It's been 5 ever since there's been any news about it...

Salt Lake City, UT

I want this so bad.. it's still just "Coming Soon" status on kitsch-bent

Planet Zaxxon

need.

Abandoned on Fire

Yeah these are crazy nice. I hope they get produced at some point. I could use two right now!