Internet

So I just got my new Drag and Derp cartridge in the mail and I'm already a bit disappointed.

The drivers seemed to work fair enough. I followed the directions and was able to load on my copy of LSDJ and .sav file

I put the cart in my GBA SP and it works fine. It boots, it does everything.

When I try to do the same thing with my original Play It Loud DMG Game Boy, it shows a scrambled Nintendo logo, or sometimes none at all (as if a cart wasn't inserted to begin with)

This issue is consistent and I don't know what to do. It came shipped with the newest firmware. I've already contacted the creator, but I'm hoping I can get some insight here too.

Abandoned on Fire

It's just a bad connection between the cart and the gb. Insert and remove it forcefully several times and it'll be fine.

Utah

My newer derp has a similar issue. On certain DMGs I have to wedge a folded piece of paper between the cart and the gameboy.

Chips & Dip :3

This has happened to me several times with an EMS cart. Cost me lots of money, time, trust, and patients, to do so.

egr wrote:

Insert and remove it forcefully several times and it'll be fine.

If this still doesn't fix the problem, or it only works a few times, you may have to either loosen up the DMG shell slightly, (I would say clean the cart but it works fine on your SP), and or send it off to someone for repair.

Last edited by metatronaut (Mar 26, 2015 11:35 am)

cali

I had the same problem when I got mine. Then I opened the cartridge and put a piece of card under the contacts .
Working flawlessly ever since.

pic:
https://instagram.com/p/1B6P6svSre/

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:20 am)

matt's mind

putting cardboard underneath the board seems to be sorting out the issue, dealt with this in an email today and that worked for them as well.  thanks for the tip!

cali
kitsch wrote:

putting cardboard underneath the board seems to be sorting out the issue, dealt with this in an email today and that worked for them as well.  thanks for the tip!

Thank you, sir!
I actually used one of your business cards (usually included in your orders) to do it.
big_smile

matt's mind

its awesome to not have it end up in the trash  smile  someone had saved up the cards from a few orders and did an origami flower and sent me a picture once.  that was sort of awesome.  other people collect them even, like stamps i guess.  i get requests for a specific color sometimes to 'complete the collection' or replace a bent one tongue  hmmmm.  i could get super kitsch with this, hmmmm

anywho, glad to hear it sorted out the issue for you!

Same thing for use. We bought 10 DMGs, and 4 were unable to boot the derp. (but commercial games were booting correctly)
We then tried on other DMGs until we got 10 working.
it  seems that 1 out of 2 was booting correctly...

We also had save corruption problems on GB clones. Corruption only occurred with dergs, not with EMSes.

Gosford, Australia

try card-in-case trick, and don't hotplug the cart while it's writing
fwiw i've never had any problems with my DnD but i think it's one of the first batch that was made

matt's mind
cyberic wrote:

Same thing for use. We bought 10 DMGs, and 4 were unable to boot the derp. (but commercial games were booting correctly)
We then tried on other DMGs until we got 10 working.
it  seems that 1 out of 2 was booting correctly...

We also had save corruption problems on GB clones. Corruption only occurred with dergs, not with EMSes.

are the clones the GB Boy and GB Boy Colour?  or one of the older types of clones?

kitsch wrote:

are the clones the GB Boy and GB Boy Colour?  or one of the older types of clones?

These clones:
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6397 … 4319627836

Other than that, they are really great with EMS carts. The screen is great, the sound is loud and mostly faithful
but some notes get cut sometimes.

Last edited by cyberic (Apr 5, 2015 9:00 pm)

Utah
Apeshit wrote:

Is it just your newer one? Wondering if the PCBs are slightly thinner, because I had no problems with 100+ Heebie carts that are housed in the same shells.

Yup, definitely just the newer one. The older one is slightly less see through and feels just a tad sturdier. It works in all of my DMGs. The newer one works in my DMG with the ASM shell but not in my DMG with the Kitsch shell.

matt's mind

yeah, ditto def the newer batch.  emails are trickling in.  didn't have any before this last batch that i can recall, and they are all the same issue (the DMG stuff) currently.  the only commonality is the cart itself and it being DMG guts.  shells vary, types of mods vary, but its only in the DMG afaik.  because they are all working in peoples other consoles, and even in other random DMGs but not some particular one (someone had a few consoles to try with).

however, the good news is that the business card trick is so far undefeated...  i think double-sided tape might work too, to borrow something EMS did some years ago with a similar issue.  i'll suggest that if i get any future emails about this.  it will give it a little lift but also 'disable' any wiggle

will also shoot abrasive an email right now and make sure he's caught up.  i only have one cart from the last batch, and one from the first, so me testing them doesn't reveal much.  however, the PCBs are measuring the same on these two (doesn't mean the batch wasn't a mix of different runs of the PCB, though).  there are manufacturing tolerances in anything, so it could just be an unhappy mistake where the tolerances on the shell and PCB *in a particular cartridge* are both very slightly shy and just make a difference.  there are a whole slew of factors really.  even the edge finger treatment.  who knows...  but i can't tell squat on just two carts, so i'll see if abrasive will check his batch and we can see whats up.

but, like i said, the card stock is working fine.  the fingers just need raised a hair.

kitsch, do you think that the corruption problem with the derp and the gb boy is also related to the PCB?