I tried my friend's MidiNES, but wasn't too into it. Other than tracking on FT, would you suggest the Chip Meastro?

Unsubscribe

no, its somehow worse than a midines.

Joliette, QC, Canada

what herr_prof say !
IMO the best thing to do is get a Powerpak, Everdrive N8 or something like that and get your hands on Neil's roms !!! big_smile
Too many years I saw people crying saying stuffs like "No Native trackers on NES boohoo" and when we finally have some great tools thanks to Neil Baldwin, no one touch em lol !!! /rant
Here is the website !
http://www.nes-audio.com/
Oh btw, don't post the same thread in different categories please ! wink

Dallas, Texas

If the MidiNES didn't do it for you, the Chip maestro will seriously have you underwhelmed.

NUMBSKULL
XyNo wrote:

what herr_prof say !
IMO the best thing to do is get a Powerpak, Everdrive N8 or something like that and get your hands on Neil's roms !!! big_smile
Too many years I saw people crying saying stuffs like "No Native trackers on NES boohoo" and when we finally have some great tools thanks to Neil Baldwin, no one touch em lol !!! /rant
Here is the website !

I have a pulsar cart, but I can't figure out saving. It seems like they keep getting deleted randomly, but other times my songs persist in between shutting it off. Do you have any tips? I apologize in advance if this is something super simple on the readme or something.

Joliette, QC, Canada
catskull wrote:
XyNo wrote:

what herr_prof say !
Here is the website !

I have a pulsar cart, but I can't figure out saving. It seems like they keep getting deleted randomly, but other times my songs persist in between shutting it off. Do you have any tips? I apologize in advance if this is something super simple on the readme or something.

Owning a pulsar cart is kinda weird because you can only have 1 song per save if I remember well and the save file is 32kb instead of 8kb. Maybe this is why your cart erase by itself !
Totally recommend to get a flashcart in which you can put the mappers that allow you to use 32kb savefiles like the Powerpak !!!

Last edited by XyNo (Mar 26, 2015 11:34 pm)

Philly

Be aware that the Powerpak can play .NSF files, the Everdrive currently does not.

Whichever one you get, be sure to mod your NES for the emulated Japanese expansion audio.

Also, lift pin 4 on the CIC chip while you're at it.

Last edited by RatShack (Mar 27, 2015 12:38 am)

Michigan

Invest in Neil.

Unsubscribe

The best midi controlled NES is in chipsounds, followed by famitracker.

Seattle, WA

Invest in gold.

Philly

What's the problem with MIDInes anyway?  Not enough control like you get using commands in famitracker?

Unsubscribe

Yea if you want to do midi commands at the fast rate you do commands in famitracker youll be disappointment. If you use it as a regular midi synth its does very well at that, however.

It really depends on how creative you can get with midi and how much you like working in a daw.

Seattle, WA
herr_prof wrote:

Yea if you want to do midi commands at the fast rate you do commands in famitracker youll be disappointment. If you use it as a regular midi synth its does very well at that, however.

It really depends on how creative you can get with midi and how much you like working in a daw.

Live Animals does pretty well with minimal commands, it all depends on what you want to do with your music.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Midines' modulation hack, DPCM speed and "wave traveller" are actually really powerful. They're not easy to mimic in Famitracker. However, you're losing a lot of your fast tracker-style effects.

That said, the trade-off allows for a very different sort of NES sound than you might be used to. Warmer and fatter bass-lines and aggressive and resonant pulse channels can be really neat. Without the power of fast effects you might want to pair it with something else like a Commodore 64 or Game Boy.

Edit: The key to midines is digging into the MIDI CCs.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Mar 27, 2015 8:15 am)

Dallas, Texas

Yeah, I agree MidiNES is very powerful if you take the time to automate your CC. You can even write to $4011 directly. Also you can get broken chords to run at any speed you want if you use a free flowing midi arp like the one in ableton, rather than being constrained to the usual intervals like
@EN1 {0 | 4 3 -7} or {0 0 | 4 0 3 0 -7 0}

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Mar 27, 2015 2:20 pm)

Detroit

both midines and chip maestro are womp womp unless you are very very patient.  chip maestro is a fucking joke and I'm so glad I got mine for free lmao