hiding under your bed

Hey guys, a good friend of mine recently started a series of video game-themed artwork meant to make comment on various controversial aspects of the gaming industry and she asked me to stick this here in case some of you may be interested.
The first of four pieces(? or at least I know she's done four already, not sure if there are more planned) has been released, and is available to view on her new tumblr page, while 8x10 prints are available on her Etsy page for $10, while the original one-of-a-kind piece is also available for $3,999 (I doubt anyone here would want to buy it for that much, but I figured I'd include it too, lol).

Immersion (Piss Mario) by Allix Barrett

This work is a social commentary on the chloreic nature of the collecting and selling community of Nintendo’s popular wireless communications and storage device toys, the amiibo. Recent scalping, price-gouging, and market speculating on the Mario - Gold Edition Super Mario (Wave 1)amiibo has incited the artist to create her own Mario - Gold Edition amiibo by taking a Mario Super Smash Bros. (Wave 1) amiibo and submerging it in a container of the artist’s own urine. The container was then photographed with a professional DLSR camera and put on display. Prints of the artwork and the artwork itself are for sale, much like the amiibo themselves.

Montreal, Canada

Tell your friend to come up with original ideas? Or yknow.. at least credit the original idea *somewhere* in there? With that kind of "art", the object itself is very very secondary to the concept. And she didn't come up with shit here (hah! she came up with piss! get it?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piss_Christ

Last edited by n00bstar (Apr 1, 2015 6:17 am)

hiding under your bed

I actually mentioned to Allix that she should make that more clear.. Don't know if she will or not. I think she thinks most people will recognize that it's a parody. The other stuff she'll be putting up soon (not allowed to tell what it is yet, heheheh) is entirely original, though.

Dallas, Texas

Classic.... "I have a DSLR so my photos must look really professional, right?"

These photographs have average to bad lighting and aren't even white balanced correctly. As a wanna-be product photographer, I am unimpressed.

Subject matter is a whole different animal that I won't go into...

Also inb4 'April Fools'

Montreal, Canada

I'm not convinced Serrano is mainstream enough for the general public to understand if she meant it as a parody. Also not convinced this qualifies as parody in the first place.

Montreal, Canada
TylerBarnes wrote:

Also inb4 'April Fools'

DAMMIT. DAMN DAMN DAMN.

hiding under your bed

Hahah, as much as I would love for the date to be more than just coincidence, I can assure you that this is very real and there is more to come.

matt's mind

she's a little dehydrated

Seattle, WA
kitsch wrote:

she's a little dehydrated

Seriously, buy your friend a fucking water bottle. That stuff's probably the consistency of honey.