Indiana

Hi guys,

I've had some questions for a while regarding the stability of the clock in LSDJ. I've been running V. 4.6.9, and have been finding it very difficult to multitrack because of small fluctuations in the tempo of each play.

I typically record each track in live mode, top to the first transient and sync from there. That being said, it seems like my tracks pretty quickly fall out of sync, in some case by several samples, others being pretty crippled by ms differences. It gets to the point where I'll just grab a few bars and loop them to keep it tight.

Has anybody encountered something similar when recording LSDJ? I'm not sure if it's a hardware or version issue, but it's a real hassle, and if there is a better way it'd save me a lot of time!

Thanks

Last edited by Fudgers (Apr 9, 2015 6:21 pm)

Abandoned on Fire

Yes.  Both from emulator (BGB) and hardware.  The frustrating part is that over time the tempo seems to average out correctly so recordings that are more than a few bars (minutes, maybe) long appear to be the correct length.  But when you place different recordings next to each other, just as you've described, the variations become obvious.

When multitracking now, either I use the "save individual channels" option in BGB or I slave the game boy to a midi clock with the correct tempo.  BGB is the simplest option as long as you're not also trying to keep your channels in sync with additional hardware.  In that case your only/best bet is to record while midi synced.

Last edited by egr (Apr 9, 2015 6:28 pm)

Detroit

If you want perfect timing I suggest grabbing an arduinoboy and slaving it to a master midi clock like a DAW or what have you

Unsubscribe

Yea I either slave lsdj to the daw clock X 4 channels or I record a stereo mix with lsdj into the daw and use that to make a tempo match so all my midi stuff is similarly flaky. With Live its a bit of work but you can also drop warp markers every bar or so and it sounds relatively tight with no sync.

If you do enough warp markers it will actually be tighter than midi, because audio is sample accurate.

Last edited by herr_prof (Apr 9, 2015 6:53 pm)

Los Angeles, CA

If you really find it necessary to multitrack, play the whole thing in song mode and just mute every channel but the one you're recording.  Fluctuations are pretty much uniform that way.

or if you have a second gameboy, copy your save over to a second cart, set one version of the song to master, and record the slaved GB channels individually.

Last edited by Mrwimmer (Apr 9, 2015 7:17 pm)

perth, WA
Mrwimmer wrote:

If you really find it necessary to multitrack, play the whole thing in song mode and just mute every channel but the one you're recording.  Fluctuations are pretty much uniform that way.

this is how i do it, works a treat

Indiana

i appreciate the tips, this is actually really good stuff for me; i tend to get cemented in my workflow. just played around some with doing song mode mutes and then drawing a tempo map in PT.

it was kind of a hassle, but took less time than chopping it up all over the place. might dust off the Aboy and see if that ends up working better.

Unsubscribe

Lsdj works much tighter as a slave for sure. Ive noticed LSDJ even drifts differently muted vs triggering each chain in live mode separately, so your results may vary.

United States

gotta love a nice tight slave

Last edited by Boner (Apr 11, 2015 7:42 am)