Garden city Victoria B.C

hey guys i just posted up 4 new tracks ...would love some cc ...ive tried to set levels better but i still keep getting high frequency songs ...i want to learn how to make warmer music with a powerful smooth sound with presence but when i add bass and eq it i either get a wimpy bass or overbearing ...im still learning but maybe im not compressing at the right ratios. its closer but not exactly the sound i want yet. anyone listen to popskyy thats the kind of quality im wanting..notes that make your ears happy cheers!

http://www.soundcloud.com/megagirlx

Dallas, Texas

Simple tones like squares and triangles usually don't need compression cause they are synthesized at a constant volume already. and when you compress an entire mix you are usually just sucking the life out of the drums. I would only put a very light amount of comp if any. But others have their own ways of processing.

On 'Drifting Mariokarts' I noticed only like one or two of your bass notes really resonate with any power at all. I suspect you are boosting something like 80hz with a bell curve. I would recommend not doing this (Personally). I would have instead just shelved out some the highmid-high stuff and increase the overall volume. This will make the lows increase more evenly across the freq spectrum.

Again everyone prolly has their own ways of accomplishing these things. Just some ideas to try and see if they work.

Garden city Victoria B.C

also it could be the notes i choose and instruments...i feel i may be adding too many elements at too high volume..but its scary bringing down the volumes when im still learning compression !! haha

Last edited by megagirlx (Apr 10, 2015 8:05 pm)

Garden city Victoria B.C

ok cool ill try that...yeah i do auto filter the lows to about 60 hrzt to cut the bass rumble but it does take away the power. ok ill not use too much compression and wont cut as much. cheers! smile

Dallas, Texas

I always have everything at low volume when mixing...My individual tracks never go above -12dB. If you can't hear, turn up your speakers, not your track levels.

Compression is definitely one of those things that is very mysterious and hard at first. But if you stick with it you will get the hang of it.

I usually point newcomers to this video when introducing them to compression. You prolly have the basics down already but it's still a great vid to learn from. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkeJqtJGn0I

Dallas, Texas
megagirlx wrote:

ok cool ill try that...yeah i do auto filter the lows to about 60 hrzt to cut the bass rumble but it does take away the power. ok ill not use too much compression and wont cut as much. cheers! smile

I wouldn't have cut so much meat out of the bass especially if your highpass filter is 12dB/oct. I like to keep my bass' highpass filter around 30hz. Again I'm only saying my personal preference. Refine your style and don't get too discouraged if others have a different outlook than you. Though, still take all styles into consideration and try all kinds of ways to do things.

Another trick I use is to high pass every other instrument to make more room for your bass and kick. Don't carve out any frequency that the instrument is actually using but only the low stuff that the instrument isn't using. For example if I had a snare track I would find the fundamental note that the snare's main meat is, then Id put a high pass filter below that so that it doesn't take away any snare meat but still makes room for the bass. All instruments can use a bit of this treatment.

Garden city Victoria B.C

awesome thx! smile

Whateverville, California

Hey MGX are you only making fakebit at this point or do you use any trackers for your sounds? If not, looking into some trackers could add some cool textures to your repertoire.

Garden city Victoria B.C

yeah right now anyway but i have a game boy pocket and a game gear i want to do something with. Any suggestions on tutorial links for using them?  can i mod them with a cartridge? me = noobing B)

Garden city Victoria B.C

haha i looked up what a tracker did and its interesting ...i may try thx

Hot Springs, Arkansas

It seems like you wanted cc on mixing and mastering, but I'll throw in my two cents anyway. While I was trying to thing of things to criticize, I noticed that right after a listened to one of your songs, I completely forgot what it went like. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but I couldn't remember a thing. That is why suggestion to you is make better melodies. No, not better, more memorable, because, if I don't even remember what your songs sounds like, I'm less likely to even listen to another. I know that people can't just make "better" melodies from someone just telling them to, but really put some more thought into your patterns. I sounded very disjointed to me, and your video game samples seemed arbitrary. I hope I'm not coming off as too harsh. but just hear me out. I love your style, and how everything seems very spacious, and i also love when you don't use the vgm samples  arbitrarily. I really think you have potential, and would love you to take my words and the others who commented to heart. Please get some more stuff out there bigger, better, and faster? That last one didn't make sense, but do the first two! Thank you for listening!