Tallahassee, FL

Hey all! Trying to learn how to make more interesting sounding lead tones and I was wondering if anyone could guess how to make the lead instrument that comes in at 0:20 in this song: https://shadynastyiscool.bandcamp.com/t … r-scissors

Los Angeles, CA

You might try adding some hop gated tables so that your lead tones kind of  evolve over time.  Also it's hard to go wrong with a detune of 1 or 2 on just about any instrument.

Btw, this song kicks ass.

Bristol, UK

Try pulse width modulation. Have a table set up with W commands or there are some tutorials on here about how to do it with the wav channel.

Seattle, WA

Totally read this as lead instruments like, the metal.

Tallahassee, FL
Mrwimmer wrote:

You might try adding some hop gated tables so that your lead tones kind of  evolve over time.  Also it's hard to go wrong with a detune of 1 or 2 on just about any instrument.

Btw, this song kicks ass.

Could you explain how to do hop gated tables? I'm just starting with tables. Newbie here haha

Los Angeles, CA

So, in a table, the H command's second digit tells the table what row to hop to, and the first digit tells it how many times to do that, with 0 being infinite.

So:

00  -  00
00  -  00
00  H 20
00 V 53
00 H 04

Would bring in some vibrato after the note is held for a little while.  It's a very powerful tool.

Winter Haven, FL

There isn't anything super-insane about the "lead instrument."
IF this was done w/LSDJ I'll agree that it sounds like nothing more than some PWM--maybe..25 or 75 percent.
There MAY be a 50% on the 0 tick directly followed on the 1 tick by the 25 or 75. There is a ton of "L"egato going on. Maybe that's part of what you are referring to?

And as far as spicing up your leads...V and O commands in the table can do wonders.
-good luck

Last edited by Nestrogen (Apr 16, 2015 7:50 pm)