Buffalo

So I have been having many troubles updating my nanoloop 1 carts using the USB - MIDI adaptors. Let me explain my situation:

I have two carts of Nanoloop 1, one that I got a while ago that runs 1.6.3. This cart works fine, but I would like to update it to the most recent software. My second nanoloop 1 cart I received about a week ago and "runs" 1.7.1. I put runs in quotes because when I try to start up nanoloop, I get this screen, and can not progress to the program:

http://i.imgur.com/uWI1Yqv.jpg?1

It also may be worth it to note with this second cart, I can never get the opening "hello" load screen to work. I figured, maybe updating the rom on this cartridge might fix it. Perhaps I received a faulty cartridge and should contact Oliver.

However, I am having trouble getting my USB - MIDI adaptor to communicate with my cartridges. I can usually figure this type of stuff out with a little trial and error, and finding stuff online (I did get the EMS cart drivers installed all by myself). I have tried some things that seemed like they were working, but ultimately everything I try fails.

Can anyone either give me a step by step description of updating the roms, or just some advice as to what to try next (perhaps there is one thing I am missing that would help me). I am a native mac user, so would prefer any help that way, but have access to windows. I only have a limited amount of experience using terminal, so maybe there is something I am missing there. I did already try updating the cartridges on windows too.

If anyone at all can help me out, I would be greatly thankful!

EDIT: So I have figured out what was wrong with my cart that is already running 1.7.1. There is a procedure that needs to be done when first using new carts. From the email by Oliver when he sends out your cartridge:

To start nanoloop, press the START button. When it starts for the first time, it will then display "??????" below the nanoloop logo. To continue, press START+SELECT.

I guess I had forgotten about this step in the time from when he sent the e-mail to the time I received the cart in the mail.

I am still looking to update my 1.6.3 cartridge, but have not had any time to experiment with it since the original post. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by SBthree (Apr 27, 2015 11:54 am)

Atlanta, GA

That link just doesn't exist btw. Can you try uploading it again and linking directly to the .jpg? that would give you better results.

Buffalo

link fixed. not having a good computer day...

Atlanta, GA

have you held down select while turning on the device? If you have, contact oliver.

ohgodno, Indiana

I had the same start up issue with my 2.5 & basically the only way to get it "booted up" is to tun it on/off till the nintendo logo pops up then your good..I know with my cart its a error i guess that some of these may have had..to cut it short, if u can't get it going I'd contact Oliver. He's the one that told me to tun it on/off & if it didn't work he would replace it.

Buffalo

Ok, so I have got my new nanoloop cart working. From the e-mail oliver sends when he sends out your cart:

To start nanoloop, press the START button. When it starts for the first time, it will then display "??????" below the nanoloop logo. To continue, press START+SELECT.

I guess I just read over that. This also fixed the hello start screen.

If anyone can still help me with updating my 1.6.3 cart, that would be great! still no luck connecting it with USB - MIDI adaptor.

Alive and well in fucksville

you have to edit the command line in notepad (im on windows)

Buffalo
bitjacker wrote:

you have to edit the command line in notepad (im on windows)

Can you elaborate on this a bit?

Swansea, UK

Oliver is pretty good at getting back to you via twitter as well. https://twitter.com/nanoloop

Abandoned on Fire

Edit after reading your post more closely.  Make sure when you type in the commands that you use exactly what's shown in the command list on the screen.  Don't just copy/paste from somewhere else.

Last edited by egr (Apr 27, 2015 11:32 am)

first of all, what version of usb midi adaptor do you own? is it red?

Buffalo

I actually own one of both

okay. use the red one. download the nanoloop midi sync software, unzip the folder. put 1.71 rom in there.

Atlanta, GA

put rom in folder
turn on gameboy while holding select until the rhombus boot screen appears
connect nlmidi connector to usb port and link cable
insert link cable in
run the command: nlmidi -send <rom name>.gb
hold select and press start on the gameboy
an "n" should appear under the rhombus
on the computer, hit "enter" to start the transfer
nlmidi in the command line should count up to 64/64k
when nlmidi says "done" hit start on the gameboy

is that good enough?

Buffalo

I will try that as soon as I get home from work. Thanks for all the help; I really appreciate it!

Buffalo

Ok BitFlourish, I greatly appreciate your step by step, but it did not work for me. I will type out the steps I did in order to show where it stopped working for me. I am going to type out every little thing I did, just to really be clear as what I tried to do. Here is what I did:

put rom in folder
***added step*** opened terminal
***added step*** ran command: cd <folder location / name >
turn on gameboy while holding select until the rhombus boot screen appears
connect nlmidi connector to usb port and link cable
insert link cable in
run the command: nlmidi -send <rom name>.gb

at this point the terminal window returns this:

-bash: nlmidi: command not found

Is there something I need to do to get the system to recognize the command? I do get the n to appear, so I think my gameboy is all ready to