Bit late posting this on here but last week I finished installing a mod on a DMG with a bluetooth audio transmitter.

Demo video here:  https://youtu.be/StovYnUdeq8

Article here:  http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/0 … e_heck_not

It's the first time I've tried it as a Gameboy mod and as far as I can tell it's the first internal bluetooth transmitter on a DMG.  I had to figure it out as I went along, part planning, part trial and error.  The end result works really well although there is a slight lag in the audio.  Next time I do one I'll try and get a transmitter module that's a bit more instant. Also, I'm using the select button to operate it and there have been a few people voicing concerns about this messing up LSDJ as it makes a lot of use of the select button.  The mod could easily be done with a momentary switch instead but I quite fancied hacking the select button.  It only operates the bluetooth when held for 3 or 5 seconds and hasn't caused me any problems so far.

Pretty pleased with how it turned out and makes a nice change from the usual mods.  Once I get the hang of it I'll put a tutorial together if there's interest.

Melbourne

I saw the video on facebook a few days ago. Nice work! Would make playing live gigs so much fun, especially if it has a bit of range and is stable (ie. could go out into the audience etc).

Seattle, WA

How's the latency?

Dire Hit wrote:

How's the latency?

The end result works really well although there is a slight lag in the audio.

Unsubscribe

i wouldnt call bluetooth audio "pro".

Melbourne

Probably good enough for playing live though!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
herr_prof wrote:

I wouldn't call a Game Boy "pro", either.

NUMBSKULL

NeX actually did this a few years back. http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/3205/ … pro-sound/

Overall though, I like yours much better. Can you link to the specific bluetooth module you used?

Philly
jefftheworld wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

The point of prosound mods are to get better quality audio signals than available through the stock circuitry.  Transmitting your signal using a lossy data compression algorithm is going to give you a worse signal overall.

This IS nice work, I'm sure it sounds good enough for composing on or using around the house, but there's no reason anyone should use it in a live setting.

Catskull thanks for the link! I'd done lots of searching before trying this and not found any info before; interesting to see where he placed the module.

As for "prosound", I half-jokingly used that term as it quickly explains what the mod does. The module is wired up to the standard solder points for the prosound mod so that's why I used the term.

I never set out to find something suitable for gigging or recording, I just wanted to see if I could get it to work. You know, for fun. And it is a lot of fun. As for improving on stock circuitry, modern tech is becoming more and more wireless and it will be interesting to see what anyone else comes up with.

Taichung, Taiwan
RatShack wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

The point of prosound mods are to get better quality audio signals than available through the stock circuitry.  Transmitting your signal using a lossy data compression algorithm is going to give you a worse signal overall.

This IS nice work, I'm sure it sounds good enough for composing on or using around the house, but there's no reason anyone should use it in a live setting.

The point of pro sound is to make it sound better than through the headphone jack. This sounds better than through the headphone jack. I say GGbro.

OP, did you check out NeX's RGB boy with bluetooth prosound? He did the mod many years ago.

Seattle, WA
katsumbhong wrote:

OP, did you check out NeX's RGB boy with bluetooth prosound? He did the mod many years ago.

He did every mod on that thing. It's a miracle the screws could keep it closed.

Taichung, Taiwan
Dire Hit wrote:
katsumbhong wrote:

He did every mod on that thing. It's a miracle the screws could keep it closed.

It's like the swiss army knife of modded gameboys.

Chips & Dip :3

Nice work dude! big_smile

Thanks!

South Carolina

I would love a tutorial on this, this really is a awesome mod! Also could you post a link to the transmitter you used?