This week there were a couple of spam posts made on the forum. Happens everywhere of course, but it amazes me how abstract (for a lack of other word) they are. I mean, most of them make no sense at all, apart from making funny headlines over the talking C.

The last one that was posted seems to address a new Snoop Dogg album. I clicked some of the links (I know, you shouldn't, but i'm on a computer at work anyway) and it takes me mostly to other fora where the same post is repeated

Now if it was a post with links about making your willy bigger, I get that.. But this, they're not selling anything.
What's the use of these posts?

I know this isn't chipmusic related. But in a way, it is. tongue

Liverpool, UK

because people click on them. clicks = traffic = money. Don't click on them, or even respond, just Report 'em.

calmdownkidder wrote:

because people click on them. clicks = traffic = money. Don't click on them, or even respond, just Report 'em.

Traffic where?

They lead to other special interests forums like these. How can they make a profit out of that?

Montreal, Canada

They're paid from ad revenue on those pages they link to.

Sweeeeeeden

SEO. Google ranks pages based on how many links they have. These spam various forums and posts links between each place they spam. That way, google (supposedly) thinks these pages are really hot. And then from each spam post, there's also a link to their real page, the one that sells something or so.

Unsubscribe

Also you run them from countries where the cost of living is so low you can pay people to brute force spam stuff for a few bucks.

nitro2k01 wrote:

SEO. Google ranks pages based on how many links they have. These spam various forums and posts links between each place they spam. That way, google (supposedly) thinks these pages are really hot. And then from each spam post, there's also a link to their real page, the one that sells something or so.

Ah, that makes sense.

It's basically doing "look how important this one link is since it's everywhere"

next question
I get the crappy google translate sentences, but what's with the random animal names?
They seem to be really fond of daddy long leg spiders and bird of prey...

Liverpool, UK
Timbob wrote:

next question
I get the crappy google translate sentences, but what's with the random animal names?

Proper words/terms/sentences are less likely to trigger spam detecting algorithms than gibberish, so they use proper terms to bypass them. Do you never get spam email with some proper terms in?

Montreal, Canada

They look for hot google searches and use those words.

Beyonce in the news this week? There's something about her in the spam.

I'm assuming the spiders are because daddy long legs are common all around the world and a lot of people might be googling how to get rid of them around the house?

Dunno man... I don't ask questions, I just sit here fascinated that spam is still a thing.

Sweeeeeeden
Timbob wrote:

That's the site's word filters. It's really saying something like cats and various animals.

Abandoned on Fire

Cat

Oh, lol I thought it was the old site style word filters

Last edited by egr (May 13, 2015 5:03 pm)

Sweeeeeeden

Oh snap... I forgot to consider that those things would get filtered. tongue
Well, click quote on my post and look what it actually says.

NUMBSKULL

Last edited by catskull (May 14, 2015 3:46 am)

cats cats cats!