Finland

Hi there again!

My second track is more like music what I will focus on when I get better. I'm just missing that deep sine wave bass. I love it but don't know how to create it. If you don't know what kind of sound I'm talking about, you can find it here at 2:14: https://soundcloud.com/oskill8/oskill8-jonezky-ski-die

I'd have some use for it in my next tracks. By the way, let me know what you think of my second chiptune ever, I really appreciate feedback.

https://soundcloud.com/hi5ki/5heep-in-w0lfs-cl0th35

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It sounds like a pretty simple squarish sine wave. I'm guessing you're using LSDJ?

In the wave channel, create a "sine" waveform but push it a little more square-like. That is to say, increase the amplitude until the middle of the sinewave flattens a little. It'll sound somewhere between a sine and square depending on how far you go in either direction.

Finland

Yes, I'm using LSDJ. Thanks, I'm gonna try that out. By saying "push it a little more square-like" you mean editing it in wave screen?

Aarhus, Denmark

Just amp the volume until it looks about right. (Remember to CLIP and not WRAP)

Edit: If you want to go DEEPER than a C2, you'll need a clock mod. ;^)

Last edited by zii.hrs (May 15, 2015 10:59 am)

put the wav on manual progression, draw a nice curvey sin wav in the first frame, or use the wav synth screen and just focus on the first frame

Montreal, Canada
HI5KI wrote:

Hi there again!

My second track is more like music what I will focus on when I get better. I'm just missing that deep sine wave bass. I love it but don't know how to create it. If you don't know what kind of sound I'm talking about, you can find it here at 2:14: https://soundcloud.com/oskill8/oskill8-jonezky-ski-die

I'd have some use for it in my next tracks. By the way, let me know what you think of my second chiptune ever, I really appreciate feedback.

https://soundcloud.com/hi5ki/5heep-in-w0lfs-cl0th35

That's not a sine, it's a triangle wave. And that particular one is a 4bit triangle wave (standard NES type triangle)

The thing about triangle waves though is that they neither have the harsh punch of a square, or the deep rumble of a sine, so they tend to be softer and die easily in the mix. Your solution for that is too keep the surrounding instruments fairly low volume and your tri wave should pierce the mix just fine. Or you can overamp it, but you'll lose some of the character of the sound.. the more you clip, the closer to a square you get.

Buenos Aires, Argentina

It is a triangle rather than a sine! yikes

Last edited by Delek (May 15, 2015 2:34 pm)

Dallas, Texas
Delek wrote:

It is a triangle rather than a sine! yikes

Yeah, it sounds like an emulated NES triangle. So, draw one in the wav editor. Just remember tracks like the one you used as an example have mixing and EQ done to them. So to get it "Deep" just eq the low end.

yeah that track definitely sounds like a NES triangle of some sort, it has that extra semi-resonant high harmonic innit

sounded like fm to me haha *shrug*

some thoughts about this

- not totally incompetent
- some interesting musical ideas
- proper sick beats innit
- beyond the intro no part of the song DOESN'T have "proper sick beats" over it
- it is a bit messy / sloppy
- structure is complex and difficult to follow
- the instruments are fairly plain/unembellished

a lot of people's early chiptunes are like this for whatever reason, there are a lot of sounds doing a lot of things in ways that are kind of hard to follow. you can even hear it in early zan-zan-zawa-veia wink but as people gain more experience it seems like they find ways to make stuff sound "tighter". i don't have a good definition for what "tighter" means but i think with practise you can get the sounds to cooperate with each other a bit better

don't be too disheartened by this please i am trying to be critical which i am not very good at usually

Seattle, WA

The best way to get a sine is to draw it, but you can also lower the lowpass cutoff on a triangle wave.

The best way to get a sine to be loud is to lower the volume of everything else.

Finland
sandneil wrote:

some thoughts about this

Hey, thanks for the feedback! You're the only one so far haha! Yea, this is my second attempt ever and I didn't even try to make an EMI winning track. Just trying out some badass sounds to use when I get more experienced smile However, your thought about putting too many sounds on each other as a messy wholeness was true and that's something I need to get rid of. But yea, I've been doing this for couple of weeks now so I believe I'm advancing kinda well. Thanks again for the feedback and have a nice weekend!

Melbourne
sandneil wrote:

some thoughts about this

a lot of people's early chiptunes are like this for whatever reason, there are a lot of sounds doing a lot of things in ways that are kind of hard to follow. you can even hear it in early zan-zan-zawa-veia wink but as people gain more experience it seems like they find ways to make stuff sound "tighter". i don't have a good definition for what "tighter" means but i think with practise you can get the sounds to cooperate with each other a bit better

don't be too disheartened by this please i am trying to be critical which i am not very good at usually

that's really good general advice, actually!

NC in the US of America
an0va wrote:

yeah that track definitely sounds like a NES triangle of some sort, it has that extra semi-resonant high harmonic innit

I love that semi-resonant high harmonic in it heart

Seattle, WA
SketchMan3 wrote:
an0va wrote:

I love that semi-resonant high harmonic in it heart

Actually learning the physics of sound has made a huge difference in the sounds I can make with a synthesiser in front of me. Everyone should learn about harmonics.