Toronto, Ontario, Canada

A few months back I discovered a really neat Amiga Protracker MOD player called Protracker win32. The module player was designed to look and function exactly like the original Protracker and included a very accurate playback routine and the nostalgic look and feel of the real software was sort of neat.

I was amazed when I realized a lot of the editing features were functional. However, since it was aimed to be mainly a playback tool there was no save function. As a result I sort of put it aside.

However, very recently I decided to email Olav Sørensen, the author of the software, to let him know that there are probably lots of people who'd love to be able to use the save function and almost immediately he completes and uploads a build that features save functionality! Now, this project isn't complete. The save/load sample routine is still not implemented, so for now this is a tool mostly for Amiga/Protracker users who wish to work on projects they already created but I can confirm the following very promising things:

-Playback routines are very good and accurate!
-Emulation of Paula filters!
-Identical feel to Protracker!
-Modules saved/edited with PT32 work great on Amiga!
-Open source, easy to compile for Linux (probably OS X, too).!

Download, show your support, share around: http://16-bits.org/pt.php

Last edited by jefftheworld (May 21, 2015 3:28 am)

Montreal, Canada

Sploosh. From the looks of it, it seems to be based on PT 2.x? As in, can you switch samples mid-note by putting only a new instrument number in the column? And more importantly, why do I ask you when I can download it and check it out myself? Also, hello. Plus... Yeah. ERm. RED BUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLL. I really just wanna hear myself type right now. Yeah. So.... yeah.

Taichung, Taiwan

This.

San Francisco

raddddneeeessssss

n00bstar wrote:

Sploosh. From the looks of it, it seems to be based on PT 2.x? As in, can you switch samples mid-note by putting only a new instrument number in the column? And more importantly, why do I ask you when I can download it and check it out myself? Also, hello. Plus... Yeah. ERm. RED BUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLL. I really just wanna hear myself type right now. Yeah. So.... yeah.

Yeah I remember he did a lot of work on getting the playback accurate.  It plays samples from the loop point when you switch just the instrument number and so on.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Yeah, since the initial goal was accurate playback there is a very high degree of accuracy. Even replicating glitches and weird behaviours present in the original Amiga version.

Psydney, Australia

It's not intended to be just a playback tool.
8bitbubsy has been (slowly) adding editing features to it for ages.

Also thank god it's based on 2.x, sample switching on the fly is the single most useful trick to make amiga chiptunes come to life.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Initially he had aimed for it to be a playback tool but it's obvious that going the whole way is a great idea. At the time I made this post he had yet to add save functionality and was still billing it as a player.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Aug 8, 2013 12:15 am)

Holland
iLKke wrote:

It's not intended to be just a playback tool.
8bitbubsy has been (slowly) adding editing features to it for ages.

Also thank god it's based on 2.x, sample switching on the fly is the single most useful trick to make amiga chiptunes come to life.

Definitely!

Gosford, Australia

it looks rad!

e: i need to learn to read yo

Last edited by Victory Road (Aug 8, 2013 3:25 pm)

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Just an update for those of you interested in making Amiga music, this program is far, far more complete than it was when I posted it. It even got a makeover to make it look even more like PT2.3D! It now has all the original key-bindings and almost every single feature of the original, plus a few bonuses! In my estimation it's basically ready for prime-time.

EDIT: If you've never used Protracker before, check out this fantastic tutorial series:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P … SKNQNf6lTc

Last edited by jefftheworld (May 19, 2015 8:03 pm)

I found this myself earlier this year and was HYPED - it even works great on OSX!!

i totally forgot about my a500 in the other room, lol

Last edited by an0va (May 20, 2015 1:59 am)

probably even better than digistudio!

NC in the US of America

Where's the download link?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
SketchMan3 wrote:

Where's the download link?

http://16-bits.org/pt.php

Melbourne

oops wrong thread!

Last edited by pselodux (May 27, 2015 12:31 am)