Ohio

guitar hero  guitar + NES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiZbzBw1ZLI

he says hell post a "making of diary" sort of video soon. That looks so awesome, I want to make one! He says it can still play games, I know I'm not the only one wondering how he did that...

Utah

Yeah, Greig is very clever and a super nice guy. I'm sure if you asked him about it, he'd tell you all about it.

this is rad!

Ohio

He says it uses the actual NES soundchip for that. I'm assuming the guitar hero buttons change octaves, and the nes directional buttons change instruments maybe? I still want to know how the famicon controller is involved, and if he can actually use that touchpad on the guitar neck for some kind of note bend or something. I know the whammy bar is functional.

How cool is that!
Nice one.

looks like one fret is controlling a set level of vibrato - nice !

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

What!?! Awesomeness. Looking over the list of parts:

NESKeytar Components:
NES
Guitar Hero Controller
Famicom Controller
NES controller
Toy Keyboard
3 Mini Arduinos
Raspberry Pi
MaxM LEDs
Midi IN/OUT connections
MidiNES / Chip Maestro

Additional Components:
Gameboy with ArduinoBoy, used for additional live midi-triggered backing.
Laser harp used in "playback mode"

Seems like the NES case is STUFFED. Would guess that the RP is controlling everything, Arduinos interface the keyboard/GH neck. The Pi sending midi to MidiNES.
Yogi

NUMBSKULL

Oh that's so rad. I can't wait to see how he did it. I wonder where the third arduino comes in though?

Unsubscribe

I'm good.

Ohio

so he says in the comment section of his video...

"Most of the buttons are functional and can be remapped to different functions, as can the whammy bar. It also has an onboard arpeggio and drum sequencer."

so, the buttons do whatever he wants them to do at the time. like make drum beats or arpeggio notes. Like yogi mentioned, I'm surprised he mashed all that stuff in there while still keeping the NES functional to play games. Amazing.