Chips & Dip :3

Hey all!

Sooo this is another issue in the series of issues I'm having with NL tongue

I'm trying to backup my songs to my Mac (I do have a PC, but Mac is where I keep my music stuff).

Here's what I input:
--:~ metatronaut$ cd /Users/metatronaut/Desktop/Nanoloop
--:Nanoloop metatronaut$ ./nlmidi02 -receive overkill.nl2
-bash: ./nlmidi02: Permission denied
--:Nanoloop metatronaut$

It keeps saying that permission is denied, and on the GBA, I input A+B+Up and the bar fills anyways.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

And second, I'm afraid that if I update my cart to the newest version (2.7.7) that it'll wipe all my data (hence trying to backup).
Will this happen? Or am I completely safe?

Thanks again for putting up with me! tongue
-Sam

Antwerp, Belgium

This is just OSX asking for root authentication to run a program. The way around this is to put the word 'sudo' before './nlmidi02'. This will prompt terminal to ask for your password. If you fill it in correctly everything will proceed as normal.

so: just type 'sudo ./nlmidi02 -XXXX' and it will work

I can't vouch for nanoloop not erasing your stuff but 1) backing up is always a good idea. 2) When I updated my nanoloop one from 1.6 to 1.7 nothing got erased. A lot of my song data became unusable/sounded different because of function changes though. Of course, 1.6 to 1.7 was  a pretty big update, so maybe a small update won't change any sounds.

Last edited by Vegasdiamond (May 31, 2015 4:14 pm)

Vegasdiamond wrote:

This is just OSX asking for root authentication to run a program. The way around this is to put the word 'sudo' before './nlmidi02'. This will prompt terminal to ask for your password. If you fill it in correctly everything will proceed as normal.

so: just type 'sudo ./nlmidi02 -XXXX' and it will work

I can't vouch for nanoloop not erasing your stuff but 1) backing up is always a good idea. 2) When I updated my nanoloop one from 1.6 to 1.7 nothing got erased. A lot of my song data became unusable/sounded different because of function changes though. Of course, 1.6 to 1.7 was  a pretty big update, so maybe a small update won't change any sounds.

kk, I'll try sudo before the code line!

There will soon be a HTML version of the nlmidi tool that runs in chrome. With buttons and evrything.

IL, US

oh, that's pretty handy

They only problem is that Chrome doesn't allow SysEx MIDI messages (on which nlmidi communications is built) from "untrusted" sources. It's not documtned anywhere, Chrome just suggests that you can add hosts to a list of exceptions, but that only works for localhost and silently fails on remote websites - which is clearly a bug in Chrome. Unfortunately, local file:// URLs don't work either, so you can't just save the page locally to work around this issue.
From what I read I think it may work when the web site is ssl encrypted, but before I spend money on a ssl-certificate I want to be sure.

oliver wrote:

There will soon be a HTML version of the nlmidi tool that runs in chrome. With buttons and evrything.

holy shit that's awesome

oliver wrote:

They only problem is that Chrome doesn't allow SysEx MIDI messages (on which nlmidi communications is built) from "untrusted" sources. It's not documtned anywhere, Chrome just suggests that you can add hosts to a list of exceptions, but that only works for localhost and silently fails on remote websites - which is clearly a bug in Chrome. Unfortunately, local file:// URLs don't work either, so you can't just save the page locally to work around this issue.
From what I read I think it may work when the web site is ssl encrypted, but before I spend money on a ssl-certificate I want to be sure.

I've gotten around a similar problem before by running a simple http server locally with python (or whatever) and hosting the page there.

Last edited by Adil Soubki (Jun 3, 2015 7:31 pm)

MAMP is what I use to run/test it, too, but that's certainly not the solution for the end user. running a server is almost as complex as running nlmidi.

Last edited by oliver (Jun 5, 2015 11:22 am)