Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Does anyone have CAD files of a C64 cart?

Alternatively, is anyone with a commodore 64 cartridge willing to take the housing off and photograph and measure it? I'm looking to 3D print myself a case to house my cynthcart and I could reward anyone who assists me with said measurements with a free print, free shipping within reason.

Michigan

Measure the PCB or shell?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jazzmarazz wrote:

Measure the PCB or shell?

The shell. Preferably detailed measurements with calipers but good detailed photographs taken from the top and sides plus some dimensions could help me recreate the dimensions myself.

Michigan

Pulled out my calipers.

Outer:
68.47mm x 88.87mm x 20.1mm

more shortly...

Michigan

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Awesome, thank you. Do you happen to have measurements of the wall heights?

Also, private message me if you want me to print something and send it to you. My printer's bed size is currently only 100mm cubed but I'm in the process of upgrading that right now, in case you need something larger. I can also print something in several parts for you to attach together with glue or friction welding.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Sep 15, 2014 3:02 am)

Michigan

20.1 / 2 = 10.05 mm wink

The calipers are very sensitive, so the dimensions will have a tolerance of about +/- 0.02 mm
This is trivial since the PCB fits loosely inside the shell and the shell fits loosely inside the C64, so no worries. The important dimensions are 4.4mm for the diameter of the PCB mounting hole and 7.7mm for the mounting hole height (measured from the outside of the wall. This is also the height of the small wall you see near the bottom of the shell) These two bodies are where the PCB rests so that it will be parallel with the rest of the shell

Last edited by Jazzmarazz (Sep 15, 2014 3:03 am)

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jazzmarazz wrote:

20.1 / 2 = 10.05 mm wink

The calipers are very sensitive, so the dimensions will have a tolerance of about +/- 0.02 mm
This is trivial since the PCB fits loosely inside the shell and the shell fits loosely inside the C64, so no worries. The important dimensions are 4.4mm for the diameter of the PCB mounting hole and 7.7mm for the mounting hole height (measured from the outside of the wall. This is also the height of the small wall you see near the bottom of the shell) These two bodies are where the PCB rests so that it will be parallel with the rest of the shell

Thanks! The mounting hole and dust wall thing were the heights I was unsure of. I'll bang this out in OpenSCAD tonight or tomorrow and post it for those who might need it.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Sep 15, 2014 3:06 am)

What happened with this?

NUMBSKULL

I'm all for DIY but just wanted to make sure everyone knows plenty of these are available (other colors as well): http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Commodore-6 … 25a5ff8acf

I have one and quality is pretty nice, good texture and feels solid.

I'd kind of be interested in making up some PCB's that are as short as possible (maybe even designed to be left in the console). They would just have the edge connector and eprom socket. Would there be any interest in that?

Michigan
catskull wrote:

I'm all for DIY but just wanted to make sure everyone knows plenty of these are available (other colors as well): http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Commodore-6 … 25a5ff8acf

I'd kind of be interested in making up some PCB's that are as short as possible (maybe even designed to be left in the console). They would just have the edge connector and eprom socket. Would there be any interest in that?

Pm me. I already have a board made.

Cleveland, OH
catskull wrote:

Definitely interested in this. Let me know!

catskull wrote:

This is awesome too. Just ordered three of them. Thanks!

Last edited by thursdaycustoms (May 31, 2015 3:09 am)

Michigan

For those interested, here is what I came up with:

The board is a meer 1.05 inches deep and has notches for easy removal or mounting (granted a shell is designed). Measuring my own commodore, a board of 1.1875 inches would be flush with the chassis. Also has optional reset switch as suggested by catskull.

My main concern was supporting as many proms, eproms and eeproms as I could since too many are no longer made, but easy to find.
supported...
28F010, 28F020, 28F040,
29F010, 29F020, 29F040,
49F010, 49F020, 49F040
2764, 27128, 27256, 27512
27c64, 27c128, 27c256, 27c512

As well as SF's, GL's, EE's, etc.
Also working on support for 2704, 2708, 2716, and 2732. These will fit, but would require a few rerouted pins.

or read it again on my blog:P
http://jazz-disassemblies.blogspot.com/ … t-for.html

Last edited by Jazzmarazz (Jun 1, 2015 8:32 pm)

NUMBSKULL

Jazz, you're my hero. I can't wait to get my hands on one of yours!

Michigan
jefftheworld wrote:

Also, private message me if you want me to print something and send it to you. My printer's bed size is currently only 100mm cubed but I'm in the process of upgrading that right now, in case you need something larger. I can also print something in several parts for you to attach together with glue or friction welding.

I'll take you up in that offer. The board I did above would be even cooler with an enclosure. What files would you need? File extensions?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jazzmarazz wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

I'll take you up in that offer. The board I did above would be even cooler with an enclosure. What files would you need? File extensions?

If you shoot me a manifold STL that'll do just fine.