Instead of Tables like LSDJ, it might be easier (and more congruent to the NES, like Famitracker) to have some type of MML Editor in the instrument settings and like a calculator number pad to enter in a value.

Think of like a button that turns on a "Pulse Width mode," and you enter in "0121" on the number pad, which essentially works as a command to have the synth play a pulse that sweeps between duty cycles of 12.5% (0) - 25% (1) - 50% (2) - 12.5% (1). And then, a knob to control the speed of that looping cycle.

Other modes could be like "Arpeggio," where the values are just semitones. Like 037 for a minor triad. Negative numbers to pitch downward too. 0 -12 would be bouncing up and down between a note and it's octave below

Last edited by an0va (Aug 29, 2014 5:18 pm)

IL, US

good call

Seattle, WA

I really like tables though. An option for either would be cool.

They're p much the same thing, but with tables he'd have to have some type of visual display showing you what's going on which would raise the amount of work and the cost

Seattle, WA

They're not the same thing if you're doing things that don't loop or things that have multiple different length loops/not looping.

Melbourne, Australia
an0va wrote:

They're p much the same thing, but with tables he'd have to have some type of visual display showing you what's going on which would raise the amount of work and the cost

I'd still rather pay extra to have those tables though. In my opinion I find them far more versatile and fun than the MML editors. That said, it would still be cool, I'd just prefer tables.

Also, wouldn't you need a visual display for both though?

San Francisco

so uh what happened to this?

Netherlands
wedanced wrote:

Hi thanks for the reminder. I am still busy with the synth at the moment. Unfortunately I am doing everything on my own, which takes a crazy amount of time and I haven't had that much to spare.

So far the status update. I currently have a functioning (polyphonic) sound generator, currently it can support up to 30 voices (10 note polyphony) with free running and syncable ADSR envelopes, however this is without filters. It has a square wave channel; currently with pwm (divided in 12.5% increments). A selectable waveform (square, triangle, ramp, saw, sine, also toying with the idea with user selectable waveforms), with hard sync.

Of course many features still have to be implemented, midi sync is definitely one of them, but also an arpeggiator. Perhaps you noticed in my ramblings that I am talking features and not the interface. This is because I am still considering what the interface will be. I am toying with the idea to keep it a small and simple desktop synthesizer, combining a menu oriented interface with discrete and assigned/ assignable controls, or piling on more features and controls like a step sequencer and dedicated knobs.

I am hoping to have more time over the summer to spend on this and that I am nearing completion by the end of the summer. Furthermore I want to complete some sketches of several interface and exterior possibilities within now and a few weeks to show you guys. I am really curious what you think of the ideas for this synth I am toying with.

Madriz, Supain

In only want it to look pretty and have sub-bass capabilitties.

Milwaukee, WI

Make it black.

Unsubscribe

have a knob

Madriz, Supain
TSC wrote:

Make it black.

With black keys and knobs and lettering

San Francisco
bandismyname wrote:
wedanced wrote:

Hi thanks for the reminder. I am still busy with the synth at the moment. Unfortunately I am doing everything on my own, which takes a crazy amount of time and I haven't had that much to spare.

So far the status update. I currently have a functioning (polyphonic) sound generator, currently it can support up to 30 voices (10 note polyphony) with free running and syncable ADSR envelopes, however this is without filters. It has a square wave channel; currently with pwm (divided in 12.5% increments). A selectable waveform (square, triangle, ramp, saw, sine, also toying with the idea with user selectable waveforms), with hard sync.

Of course many features still have to be implemented, midi sync is definitely one of them, but also an arpeggiator. Perhaps you noticed in my ramblings that I am talking features and not the interface. This is because I am still considering what the interface will be. I am toying with the idea to keep it a small and simple desktop synthesizer, combining a menu oriented interface with discrete and assigned/ assignable controls, or piling on more features and controls like a step sequencer and dedicated knobs.

I am hoping to have more time over the summer to spend on this and that I am nearing completion by the end of the summer. Furthermore I want to complete some sketches of several interface and exterior possibilities within now and a few weeks to show you guys. I am really curious what you think of the ideas for this synth I am toying with.

Sounds cool man! glad it's still going smile
I think hands on interface is the key. I would avoid a setup with too much menu diving and would suggest having the most immediate controls to have devoted knobs while the lesser ones be accessible via knob encoder and a screen. I have been looking at designing a poly synth myself so I get the design woes. Good luck man. I am sure you don't need it tho.

Chips & Dip :3

https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/op-1

Madriz, Supain

yeah, make it cheaper than this

all clasic machines in one. synchronized and nicely mixed.
that's what would be awesome.