Alive and well in fucksville

I am trying the virtual machine, but ubuntu gives me an empty desktop. While i reinstall the iso i will try code blocks. update.twice i have installed ubuntu in virtualbox. my desktop is empty. so i am scrapping the idea of using virtual box. looks like code blocks is where its at.

Last edited by bitjacker (Jun 18, 2015 11:42 pm)

settle

I highly recommend using an IDE like CodeBlocks, especially when you're starting out; it will actively mark your errors before you compile, and having everything integrated makes it easier to code/run/rinse/repeat. Linux and OS X are just "more convenient" because they come with C/C++ compilers built in, but as Delek said, you can also download Windows compilers.

yoyz2k wrote:

C++ is the C language with ketchup and potatoes.
I think C++ is easier for a beginner.
C# is a Microsoft clone of Java, I have no experience at all but it's designed for and by Microsoft so you like or you hate.
SDL is free gpl stuff and IMHO it's really a great library to make game but also tracker interface.

yoyz2k and Vellain are right. C++ "contains" C plus more (hence the name), particularly classes and other goodies. I think C++ is easier to learn with (C can be a bit unwieldy at times), but for any low-level programming, especially trackers, C is the language to use. The good thing is that since so many languages were influenced by C, they're all pretty similar. Personally I think the best thing is to learn the techniques and algorithms that you need, then it's not too hard to pick up other languages.

I thought SDL was a library written in C++?

btw Ritchie is the man when it comes to C, good find smile

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I think the reason some people might recommend you learn within a *nix environment is because of the ease of interfacing with other elements of the operating system and/or hardware compared to Windows.

lolusa
jefftheworld wrote:

I think the reason some people might recommend you learn within a *nix environment is because of the ease of interfacing with other elements of the operating system and/or hardware compared to Windows.

djhaka wrote:

I highly recommend using an IDE like CodeBlocks, especially when you're starting out;

tru, I dev in windows because thats what work requires. and big ups to codeblox, once I got that running with SDL, it all started coming together.

The hurdle of learning a compiled language like c++ or java is enormous, especially if there is no prior experience. The first language I learned was Python.Here's a [install guide] and here is a great [book] to get you started. One of Pythons advantages is that it's an interpreted language, as opposed to compiled. Interpreted means you'll have the ability to screw around and try out things and seeing the results immediately. or more elegantly put

wikipedia wrote:

... a programming language for which most of its implementations execute instructions directly, without previously compiling a program into machine-language instructions.

Once coding feels comfortable, start reading about git. It's how you keep track of changes in code and share it with others. If you have a project idea, chances are that someone might have something similar on github.

wish ya the best, making a tracker sounds like a fun cool

the Netherlands

just found out about the website codeacademy.org
It has lots of free exercises and stuff and I'm really enjoying it so far because it's all very clear and there's lots of information :-)

so there is only one compiler (gnu gcc) that works in code blocks? what if i need more than that? is that compiler just c? there is a long drop down list. which one would be c?

Buenos Aires, Argentina

gcc is enough, I compile DefleMask with it everyday.

i will get started then. thank you to everyone.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The GNU toolkit will include pretty much anything you need for preprocessing, compiling, linking, debugging, etc.

i start making a program, and its different than the guy im learning from in youtube. when starting a new project, it shows no workspace in the little manager window off to the left. ideas? update. this guy is running version 10.05. im just going to keep going with this anyways. not having a workspace is stopping me from running anything.

Last edited by bitjacker (Jun 19, 2015 5:17 pm)

with all due respect because i know it is hard and confusing to make sense of new stuff

but start as you mean to go on - if you want to make a 3ds tracker you'll be doing something no one else has done before. no one is going to have the answers because if they did there'd be your 3ds tracker already. you need to learn how to read documentation and figure stuff out from there

here is the code blocks user manual http://www.codeblocks.org/user-manual

here is the code blocks wiki with links called things like "how do i create a new project" http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

good luck

I will be frequenting that wiki. Thanks.