San Francisco

the funny thing about drinking is that when you need a drink the most it usually is when you cant afford it.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
wedanced wrote:

$75-100 maybe cheap for you but.... some of us aren't as fortunate.

the way you describe music is that those with money should have more access to music creation devices then those without. thats not really fair low-gain. not all of us can buy new platforms to get midi support. thats why i support any development for midi support on the various LGPT platforms. i know some one can use it.

i dont mean to come off like i am pissed off at you or trying to be disrespectful in any way but i think there is a flaw in your logic  low-gain.

I'll simply put it this way... If you can afford to spend the $100+ on the PSP for video games... you can probably squirrel away another $100 for a GP2X

Musical Creation.... while being something that comes from within and should never be handicapped due to lack of money... requires a small investment
from the musician. $100 can be paid for with a little over a days worth of pay at any given place of employment with the minimum wage where it's at.

That means that even a 16 year old can go out and get a job at mcdonalds to pay a little bit of money to get a piece of hardware thats going to help
with their musicial creation.  I say little because it really is a small amount of money compared to a lot of things.. I'm building a microphone pre-amp right now thats worth about $3000... and all it does it amplify 4 microphones at the same time. haha

Not to mention. if you are looking for midi sequencing options for your midi gear.. that tells me you had the money to buy the midi gear wink

Anyways... If you are wanting to get a gp2x, the reality is, if you want it bad enough you'll probably find a way to get one in order to do what you feel is
required to make music.

And while i'm not made or upset or anything of that nature... to make a financial argument that $100 is a lot of money to some, but not others...
is pretty silly. More often than not, i'm living with $100 or less in my bank account. Not proud to admit that, but i'm very much aware that $100 can be A LOT of money. But i also know that if i knew of something that i felt personally was going to help me and my music move up to a new potential, and it was as affordable as say  a PSP.. i'd probably be willing to put in a little extra here and there to eventually save up and buy it. smile heart

The likely hood of the Dingoo obtaining midi options is very slim. Even if that pigtail that i added onto that Dingo worked, and M-.-n was able to
get midi working on it.. I'd be 1 of maybe a handful of people who could probably do the modification to the dingoo in this community and not distroy it. there's virtually NO room in that thing. There wouldn't be very many Dingoo's out there with midi anyways because of that reason. Makes for a great business venture to offer the service, But it's not even an option to anyone.

PSP is a bit more realistic as it's already been obtained, just not put into serious motion. Get the information into enough motivated people, and you
could find yourself w/ midi on your psp. It would require probably paying m-.-n to write the code, or talk him into  having LGPT be open source and allowing the masses to change it at their own free will.. but it probably would have more chances of seeing the light of day that way. smile

Not everyone is midi oriented though. And if you aren't using midi hardware than by all means use a psp or dingoo or your laptop or what ever...
But the GP2X is hands down the best hand held midi supporting platform under $150 that i have found out there.

But thats just my opinion. What do i know though. i'm just a native son to midwestern fly over state. haha
*time to go to work!*

Geneva, NY

All $$$ talk aside, gp2x are no longer manufactured and are few and far between compared to how many PSPs are out there.  Continuing to put all our eggs in the perpetually vanishing gp2x basket is just asking for trouble.

Renewable resources, people!

edit: fwiw i don't even have a psp and all of my eggs are in the gp2x basket like no one else!  wink

Last edited by BLEO (May 17, 2010 2:10 pm)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

i see gp2x's all the time.. Gameboy's aren't being made either.. but that doesn't stop people from using them.
And i'd be willign to bet their were quite a few gp2x's made too

They aren't that hard to come by. just keep an eye out on ebay.

yes. psp's are common.. and work great for sample based lgpt work.. but it still doesn't support midi.
that is all i'm saying

Geneva, NY

It's not that they aren't being made, it's that they aren't being made and I'm pretty sure there are several THOUSANDS fewer gp2xs out there than PSPs or Gameboys.  Maybe MILLIONS.  So for everyone that breaks or goes to an owner that will NEVER sell it, it hurts our team that much more. 

Put yourself in a remote location where you're playing a gig.  Your Game Boy/PSP dies.  How easy will it be for you to get a replacement ASAP?  What about a gp2x?

And sure, like you said the PSP doesn't support MIDI... yet.  That's kinda what people are hoping for here, no?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Ok.. lets talk Amiga A600's and A1200's.. not many of those around .. people still use them..
Last i checked though... the newest PSP's aren't what you want to use for LGPT off the bat. So just to be a dick in an argument.. that makes the need to find a specific PSP. which makes the search alittle harder. And they're the same price as a GP2X.

PSP can and has supported midi, it just hasn't been worked into LGPT.

Geneva, NY

Right on.  But I bet if you asked those people who use the rare Amigas if they could have something that functions and sounds just as good as the A600's and A1200's, but is wayyy easier to find, they'd be all over it.  MIDI working *OK* on the gp2x is no reason to argue that another, better option shouldn't be pursued. 

As far as a backup for my gp2x, I'd love to see windows piggy MIDI perfected before any other console, though I'm not sure it will ever happen.  Marc's tried his darndest and it's still pretty iffy.

☺☺☺
low-gain wrote:

. I'd be 1 of maybe a handful of people who could probably do the modification to the dingoo in this community and not distroy it. there's virtually NO room in that thing.

try me wink

San Francisco
low-gain wrote:

I'll simply put it this way... If you can afford to spend the $100+ on the PSP for video games... you can probably squirrel away another $100 for a GP2X

for the record (has nothing to do with anything) I dont play video games. i wasn't allowed to have them as a kid and by the time i was able to have them i just wasn't as interested with games as much as i was with the technology but i see what your saying with the saving up stuff. i have had those experiences myself and still will in the future. more and more i am dependent on DIY options for creation these days.... /me shakes head slowly. if only.... but i digress.

P.S. WEST COAST SENDS NOTHING BUT LOVE TO THE MIDWEST!!!!! /me flashed west coast gang sign of respect.

bleo wrote:

All $$$ talk aside, gp2x are no longer manufactured and are few and far between compared to how many PSPs are out there.  Continuing to put all our eggs in the perpetually vanishing gp2x basket is just asking for trouble.

Renewable resources, people!

edit: fwiw i don't even have a psp and all of my eggs are in the gp2x basket like no one else!  wink

word. i think this is main idea here a much more valid argument then my own, garbled rants. tongue

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
bleo wrote:

MIDI working *OK* on the gp2x is no reason to argue that another, better option shouldn't be pursued. 

As far as a backup for my gp2x, I'd love to see windows piggy MIDI perfected before any other console, though I'm not sure it will ever happen.  Marc's tried his darndest and it's still pretty iffy.

Oh i totally agree.. I wont argue the PSP isn't a great platform for LGPT. smile I hope to get one soon.
My only argument relies on the idea of having midi in a handheld.

And given the current demand for gp2x w/ midi.. there can't be that much demand for it on psp... otherwise i'd like to think people would be using
the gp2x. smile

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
wedanced wrote:

P.S. WEST COAST SENDS NOTHING BUT LOVE TO THE MIDWEST!!!!! /me flashed west coast gang sign of respect.

And i have nothing but love for the west coast! *ass grabs* I just wish i could come out there and visit more heart

San Francisco
low-gain wrote:
wedanced wrote:

And i have nothing but love for the west coast! *ass grabs* I just wish i could come out there and visit more heart

you should hit up the dutycycle and 8bitsf crew. we are always looking for peeps!

Hey guys, you can use Piggy on a PC too, and it might even work with MIDI, I dunno. I heard a rumor that computers are capable of MIDI.

Last edited by PlainFlavored (May 18, 2010 7:44 am)

San Francisco

that is insane.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

it does work on a pc. and at the moment midi support is 1 Midi output. which is fine. smile
So rock it on a netbook and life is wonderful.

Unsubscribe

Unless you want to rock midi AND piggy samples. then it can get a bit wonky.