Lake Titicaca

Hello, just wondering if anyone here has tried this new NES:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/26/88503 … do-console

Is the audio quality as good as a prosound modded NES?

I guess it would be pretty cool to get NTRQ and pulsar running from carts on this.

Kiel, Germany

Absolutely retarded. Low resolution graphics look best on CRT monitors/screens, no idea why anyone would want to see them on a fucking HDTV. As for the unit itself, it looks tacky as hell and the price tag is ridiculous.

California

Man, imagine how many replacement pin connectors you could buy with $500.

Clermont-Ferrand, France

Agreed. You can already have top-notch audio from a Famicom AV or a modded NES. Why spend 500 bucks in some hyped piece of heavy material just so you can play it on a plasma screen ? Also, the NES is in itself nearly indestructible.
This seems to be the regular scam for temporary nostalgic people.

Washington, PA
STereochan wrote:

Absolutely retarded. Low resolution graphics look best on CRT monitors/screens, no idea why anyone would want to see them on a fucking HDTV. As for the unit itself, it looks tacky as hell and the price tag is ridiculous.

The HDTV upconversion costs extra and that also wasn't what the OP was asking about. He wasn't asking about what it looks like either. But the price is ridiculous... and yes, anyone thinking an HDMI port is going to improve NES graphics is going to be severely disappointed.

JaffaCakeMexica - The best I can assume is that if they're using "original hardware," the sound will be comparable to an original NES. I'm not going to pay $500 to figure out and I really don't think you should either.

Dallas, Texas

<Infomercial announcer voice>

Now for only one easy payment of five hundred dollars, you can play your games with emulator quality graphics! Because we all know that if you can't see every single individual pixel, you might as well not play any game ever.

</Infomercial announcer voice>

Also I don't get the Leica comparison... It doesn't look at all like a leica

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It would legitimately be cheaper to go to your local metal shop, hand them your NES and have the build you a one-off stamped aluminum case. You could get a custom design, stamped and welded, for way less than what this thing sells for.

I love to see development on any of the older consoles.  Just like anything else, if it's not for you, then don't buy it. 
I see love and research and development into this, so I encourage it.  Go ahead and knock it, but unless you yourself
have built something with love,than you really will not understand!  Everyone here knocks anything that costs over $100.
I don't really understand it, but it seems to be this is the rule here.

I just bought a Prophet 6.  I have always wanted a Prophet and could never afford it.  Now that I finally can, Dave gets back the Sequential name and redesigns the prophet with a new VCO design and updated layout.  I received it and the main board had a problem and needed to be replaced, which I did two days ago.  I have since spent the entire time playing with it and now I am starting a deep meaningful relationship with this instrument.  If you are going to evaluate all of your instrument relationships based on purely financial numbers, than you would never think to spend $2700.00 for a synth. Does that mean you NEED to spend $2700.00 to have a deep meaningful relationship, obviously NO,  But if you think that you may even be able to feel, understand and just for a moment glimpse at real synth design greatness that has been nurtured over the last three decades, than the price does not even enter your mind.  You just know you need it!  Not want, but NEED.  I obviously was not the only one in thinking this, because Dave sold out of this initial run of 500 in two days. 

Leave the hate and encourage the love.  Especially if you don't understand it!

Los Angeles, CA
DSC wrote:

I love to see development on any of the older consoles.  Just like anything else, if it's not for you, then don't buy it. 
I see love and research and development into this, so I encourage it.  Go ahead and knock it, but unless you yourself
have built something with love,than you really will not understand!  Everyone here knocks anything that costs over $100.
I don't really understand it, but it seems to be this is the rule here.

I just bought a Prophet 6.  I have always wanted a Prophet and could never afford it.  Now that I finally can, Dave gets back the Sequential name and redesigns the prophet with a new VCO design and updated layout.  I received it and the main board had a problem and needed to be replaced, which I did two days ago.  I have since spent the entire time playing with it and now I am starting a deep meaningful relationship with this instrument.  If you are going to evaluate all of your instrument relationships based on purely financial numbers, than you would never think to spend $2700.00 for a synth. Does that mean you NEED to spend $2700.00 to have a deep meaningful relationship, obviously NO,  But if you think that you may even be able to feel, understand and just for a moment glimpse at real synth design greatness that has been nurtured over the last three decades, than the price does not even enter your mind.  You just know you need it!  Not want, but NEED.  I obviously was not the only one in thinking this, because Dave sold out of this initial run of 500 in two days. 

Leave the hate and encourage the love.  Especially if you don't understand it!

There is a very big difference between a polyphonic analog synth and an NES in a fancy case.

Mrwimmer wrote:

There is a very big difference between a polyphonic analog synth and an NES in a fancy case.

DSC wrote:

Go ahead and knock it, but unless you yourself have built something with love,than you really will not understand!

Clermont-Ferrand, France

Really I don't think there is much love to find in this aluminium.

This is like the vintage amps (like Fender Bassman) re-issue : why spend 3,000 $ for a brand new amp with just the name in common when you can still find the old ones with their particular sound (which probably makes you love them) for 1,000 $ ?

PleaseLoseBattle wrote:

Really I don't think there is much love to find in this aluminium.

I will take you at face value if you can at least qualify your remarks.  Do you understand the amount of work, costs and development that goes into custom metal cases?  Or are you just of the mind that all of this magically appears for free?  I spent three years in contract manufacturing.  I worked a CNC turrent press.  I worked a CNC lathe.  I worked directly with the coating process, both powder coat and anodized.  I designed the art and shot the screens and screenprinted and cured the ink on the boxes.
Link to some of the pics.
http://absolutextremes.com/product.asp? … p;P_ID=145

So please qualify your remarks if you want to explain to me when something does not have love in it!

Long Beach/Orange County, CA

This whole project just strikes me as odd. It's really nice to see that they went for a design that doesn't use a SOAC, however:

-The board is beautiful, but it's hidden inside the case
-The case itself looks rather generic
-They went to extensive lengths to make a bespoke console that has none of the nostalgic styling of an NES, but are still using stock controllers
-It will probably sound identical to a stock unit, but possibly with less noise....though the noise is some of the appeal
-They don't mention any significant changes to the PCB design other than their 'special features' so I don't see it being much different from stock performance wise

Now I'm sure this will appeal to some people, and I'm sure a lot of love and exacting detail went into this thing, but it just doesn't seem very appealing as a product. I just feel like for the price they could have done a LOT more design wise. Plus, that PCB is gorgeous! Put a window in the case and show it off!

By all means though, if somebody thinks this is the coolest thing, I'll never tell them they're wrong for picking it up smile

Clermont-Ferrand, France

Didn't mean that as an offense. You don't have to convince me about how meticulous you are, I've noticed it with my own eyes.

And I didn't mean that it didn't need any work, or conception. Just that I don't approve transforming the NES into a luxury object. Personnally. I would gladly spend money for pretty designed or made music instruments (if I had it), not for a metal-cased console.

It is a subjective, personal point of view and I didn't mean to speak the only truth. Isn't it why internet exists ? Wait...

My personal attachment is that I too have spent considerable amount of time with an NES project.
I currently have one for sale here:
http://www.ninstrument.com/?page_id=1570

I helped Nick aka low_budget with the initial run of Polycases he used for his super8.  We spent a considerable amount of time on this project and Nick has even gone on to develop his own special case for the newest version he just built, located here:
https://www.tindie.com/products/low_bud … -complete/

I understand if you personally don't care for the amount of time and love we put into our custom systems.  Some of us don't see this as a money/luxury issue like you do.  Some of us are holding on to our past while others just find it down right cool, does not matter the reason.  If we want to glorify the/our past, then we will, regardless of the criticism from our contemporaries or otherwise.

I suggest you put a couple thousand hours into a project and then tell me if you don't find a little love growing for it.

Unsubscribe

NO U