Australia

I'd like to start first by acknowledging all the hard work that has gone into this project and I do not want to ‘steal’ it or profit from it in any way. I have been approached by a number of people (I’m not sure if they are active members but reside in all corners of the globe) who have used my hardware to dump the ROM and start re-coding it. They wish to fix bugs and add features and no doubt cover their costs.

The recent announcement of the source being released on github gives the impression that the source is free to those that wish to download it (Creative Commons gives an exact report of what can and cannot be done with the code)

I have not ordered a GB-303 and by the look of the GB-303 thread it seems there will not be an opportunity to do so.

The source is beautifully crafted, well commented, logical and very modular. For those with experience in GB Asm will appreciate the effort that has gone into this code and at the same time see the potential of what Furrtek has apparently abandoned.

My intentions are as follows:

Modify the code so it can run on a standard flash cart (EMS/BennVenn) and utilise the onboard Save RAM instead of the GB-303’s EEPROM. This will allow correct operation of clock modded DMG’s as well as future updates.

Fix the save issues that have been raised on the GB-303 thread.

With no intention on reproducing or ‘cloning’ the hardware, the ADC and pots will not be used. Instead greater MIDI support will be added in its place allowing slave control under arduinoboy etc…A MIDI controlled percussion based bass synth.

All source modification/updates will be posted to github or the like. Everything will be fully transparent to everyone and you are all welcome to submit requests & suggestions to be implemented as the code is continuously improved. Who knows how this source will evolve.

Understand that the source code has been released. It is just a matter of time before someone tries to profit and release clones. As much as you disagree with it, it is going to happen. I would prefer the ROM be available to everyone, without bugs and with all the features that you request, FREE. It will hopefully remove the incentive to clone and instead help develop an amazing tool for the chip music community.

Likewise, if you believe external pots are essential then make this clear and I’m sure someone will take on the task.

This is not a thread for arguments or slander. Please be constructive in your comments. If you feel this whole thread is in bad taste that is your opinion. The source has been posted by the author into the public domain. The terms and conditions of github are clear and a programmer as experienced as Furrtek will be fully aware of them.

I hope this will be the start of something truly great!

Madriz, Supain

I own one of the original hardware glitchy ones, if I may be helpful in any way, contact me

Abandoned on Fire

Bravo! I'm also available to test (ems64 and derp carts).

Australia

Thankyou for the offer SBSM. If you could post here all the issue's you've had with your original hardware, what you think could be improved upon and what you think should be removed that would be very helpful.

I’d like to have a stable flash cart compatible release available soon to make this ROM accessible to the widest possible audience

Unsubscribe

Sounds great!! good luck! Love to help test arduinoboy support.

IL, US

would be ideal if the midi was done in a way that nanoloop usb-midi adapters in mGB mode would work as well

Milwaukee, WI

You had me at "correct operation of clock modded DMG."

NUMBSKULL

I would love it if you did the development on githib, not just host the code there. It could be a great learning experience to dig through each commit. It would allow be helpful for issue tracking, as well as getting outside help.

Australia

Thanks, the more hardware we can test it on the better support we will grow. This includes all external peripherals that are typically interfaced to the GB, as well as common carts. I don't have a nanoloop usb-midi adapter but I believe it is well documented and having others offering to test and debug will make this all possible.

Looking at the source the issue with clock modding was due to the ADC and EEPROM being bit-banged via the data bus which is timing sensitive. Removing the EEPROM and ADC SPI removes this limitation.

I agree, Github is the best way to move ahead. My spare time is sporadic and having not just the source but development public will help other developers pick up when I am unavailable and also to suggest more efficient ways to tackle a problem. An outside perspective is always welcome with problem solving.

IL, US

i have one and could help test that aspect (have a 64mb ems)

Madriz, Supain

-sync as slave works for one patternplay then switches tempo and unsyncs
-sync as midi slave doesnt work, like, at all
-saving is sketchy. sometimes it saves your pattern, sometimes dont, and it never saves whatever values you gave to the pots
-using one of the pots as pitch sometimes makes it crash

-this is not a glitch but more of a request: navigating is weird. I dont understand (yet) how to change patterns or how to use song mode.

Any testing on original hardware needed, please ask. I also own ems's if neded to try on non original hardware

^^

Australia

-Saving - the volume and speed of the SRAM on an EMS will allow the saving of ALL user defined parameters in the software instead of a select few to maintain speed.

-Sync – I’ve only had a quick look through the serial handler but there is room for improvement. In particular MIDI cc decoding / state machine. This should repair the midi sync function and allow a fix for slave mode in general.

-Pots –There is no real way to debug this issue at my end unless the decision to produce the hardware has been vetoed. Then there would be the decision to modify the original design to fix a few bugs, or try fix the problems in software to allow owners of the original hardware to update their ROM…

As for navigating, this is something we can all work on together. A simple flow chart of menu's would be easiest to implement.

Michigan

Dont forget to utilize the spare analog pins on the atmega328. wink

Australia

That could only be an option if the general consensus was to allow reproductions of original hardware...

NUMBSKULL

Why wouldn't that be okay? You'd be well within the bounds of the CC license.

Australia

I didn't see a schematic/gerber/BOM on there. I could have missed it but reverse engineering something is very different to forking source.