Long Beach, CA

I know this has been discussed in other threads, but I think it'd be easier to lay out my situation this way.

Typically I record each channel individually using a Prosounded (3.5mm jack) DMG. That same DMG also as a quarter-inch Prosound, but I've yet to use it. I still get a notieable hum in each track.

I've tried to use BGB's .wav recorder, but it comes out mostly filled with stutters and slowdown. I've thought of just recording BGB straight from an outside DAW.

What is - in your opinion - the best solution for recording LSDJ noise-free?

Gosford, Australia

fresh batteries, max volume from gameboy output, noise gate & notch filter @ 9.25KHz in post

Indiana

do you get the same hum if you record off of something like an ipod?

France

why are you recording each channel individually? I mean, probably for altering them afterwards, but in this case, why are you using a gameboy and not some VST instead? I think the raw, unmodified sound from the gameboy is part of the pleasure for using it.

The best way is to realise that you are making music with a Game Boy and just roll with it

Abandoned on Fire

Your best option is to get BGB working properly.  Look in the settings tab for latency or buffer settings (don't have it in front of me at the moment).  Also check what wav writer is selected and experiment with other options.  BGB can sound stuttery when rendering but the wavs should still come out perfect as long as your system is configured appropriately.

BGB FTW!!!

Michigan

I just use the noise reduction effect in audacity to take out those last bits. Works pretty well for me.

It's possible that your DMG isn't in the best condition. It might need new capacitors. Old caps can cause all sorts of noise.

NC in the US of America
Fudgers wrote:

do you get the same hum if you record off of something like an ipod?

egr wrote:

Your best option is to get BGB working properly.  Look in the settings tab for latency or buffer settings (don't have it in front of me at the moment).  Also check what wav writer is selected and experiment with other options.  BGB can sound stuttery when rendering but the wavs should still come out perfect as long as your system is configured appropriately.

BGB FTW!!!

Unsubscribe

post a clip, to see what type of noise we are talking about. Whats your recording device?

France

Btw I can't hear any hum in the music I make, there is while manipulating lsdj menus and such, but when it's playing it's pretty silent.

I haven't tried the so-called "prosound", and I'll probably test it on one of my DMG to check if it can be better (louder bass?), but here is what I get from my DMG:
http://chipmusic.org/garvalf/music/la-d … re-du-chne
At 1'22" there is a kind of break with only some drum, you can hear some background noise, but no hum.

Unsubscribe

Do you have power save enabled?

Taichung, Taiwan

Quality of prosound mod should also be noted.

I've had to repair a number of less than professional soldering, materials, and mod work over the years.

Long Beach, CA
egr wrote:

BGB FTW!!!

You can select other writers?

Abandoned on Fire
Terbografx wrote:
egr wrote:

BGB FTW!!!

You can select other writers?

Oops. I meant audio system, not wav writer.

If you dont like the charm of hum, then you could use a Gameboy PC emulator + LSDJ and record straight from the computer into the computer?