So, at work, I was passing by someone's house, and saw that they left a Yamaha keyboard on their lawn, next to their mailbox. I went to the door and asked if they were selling it. The woman said they were giving it away. I asked if I could have it, and she said yes. I was stoked...

So I brought it home, cleaned it up a bit, put in some batteries, and it works! It's a PSR-175.

Anyone know much about this model? It doesn't come with any cables (no power adapter).

NUMBSKULL

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical- … s/psr-175/

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=PSR-175

IL, US

eh, looks like just a basic little learning keyboard. they can definitely still have a few good presets on them, but in the end the lack of ability to edit any of the presets usually makes this sort of keyboard pretty limited in its usefulness ... i find they usually will have 4-8 decent sounding presets though, so hopefully you like some of them. if not, you could always try circuit bending it

Unsubscribe

it has a dj mode so you might be able to rave

jefftheworld wrote:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=PSR-175

Okay, you guys, I was hoping for some first-hand knowledge of similar models or the like. A product description from the manufacturer's website, okay... that's helpful, but it isn't going to mention what sucks about the product. For example, I found that there isn't touch sensitivity... at all... if I'm not mistaken. Seriously? What's up with that?

And lmgtfy is neither funny, clever, insightful, nor as effective as directly posting a search that I already did. I know how the internet works. I've been using it for 15 years.You should be ashamed. Go stand in the corner. Any corner. The nearest one you can find.

e.s.c. wrote:

eh, looks like just a basic little learning keyboard. they can definitely still have a few good presets on them, but in the end the lack of ability to edit any of the presets usually makes this sort of keyboard pretty limited in its usefulness ... i find they usually will have 4-8 decent sounding presets though, so hopefully you like some of them. if not, you could always try circuit bending it

You mean like the ability to add vibrato? Or like an oscillator? I'm not keen on making my own instruments--I'm new to keyboards myself. But I am fond of the idea of using a MIDI interface device. <- did I even say that right? hmm

Geneva, NY
Arc-Demon wrote:

Okay, you guys, I was hoping for some first-hand knowledge of similar models or the like. A product description from the manufacturer's website, okay... that's helpful, but it isn't going to mention what sucks about the product. For example, I found that there isn't touch sensitivity... at all... if I'm not mistaken. Seriously? What's up with that?

And lmgtfy is neither funny, clever, insightful, nor as effective as directly posting a search that I already did. I know how the internet works. I've been using it for 15 years.You should be ashamed. Go stand in the corner. Any corner. The nearest one you can find.

You go stand in the corner for asking about some junky keyboard on a chip music forum.

don't know anything about this one in particular, but nice find!

the auto-accompaniment on old yamaha keyboards is often hilarious and usually the best bit. hours of fun to be had jamming out melodies over some old japanese man's idea of "country techno" or whatever. also good for writing chord progressions and melodies that you can then put into LSDJ so that the cm.o elite won't make fun of you in your forum topics

as for a power supply, get something like this and it'll typically do all your keyboards and other stuff http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-ACD477 … VXEWZ3G1KM

just make sure you get the polarity/voltage right (usually embossed just above the power socket on the keyboard, the little diagram that is like "+ --(o-- -" shows the polarity) or bad things will happen. you will save a lot of money over using batteries!

I have a later model PSR, I'm sure most of the sounds are basically the same as what you have. Believe it or not, I've found some of the sounds to sit nicely in a mix, like the electric bass (not the slap bass, haha), the strings, and some of the synth/choir presets. This was for more rock-oriented songwriting stuff, not chiptune, but I can imagine a lot of the sounds being sampled and working nicely in a tracker to get a good, early 90's Amiga type feel.

England

things like this can be a lot of fun. ive had a lot of fun putting these kinda things through cheap zoom multi effects and making a bad noise

Abandoned on Fire
BLEO wrote:
Arc-Demon wrote:

You go stand in the corner for asking about some junky keyboard on a chip music forum.

XD

Melbourne
sandneil wrote:

the auto-accompaniment on old yamaha keyboards is often hilarious and usually the best bit. hours of fun to be had jamming out melodies over some old japanese man's idea of "country techno" or whatever.

haha, yup I've used the auto-accompaniment from my portasound for black metal; I'm surprised the tempo gets fast enough to emulate blast beats!

TX
pselodux wrote:
sandneil wrote:

the auto-accompaniment on old yamaha keyboards is often hilarious and usually the best bit. hours of fun to be had jamming out melodies over some old japanese man's idea of "country techno" or whatever.

haha, yup I've used the auto-accompaniment from my portasound for black metal; I'm surprised the tempo gets fast enough to emulate blast beats!

brb

Brunswick, GA USA
Arc-Demon wrote:

For example, I found that there isn't touch sensitivity... at all... if I'm not mistaken. Seriously? What's up with that?

That's every toy tablehooter keyboard made since 1981. Congratulations on getting something for nothing.

If you plug it into a MIDI input you'll see that the keys only send one velocity on one channel, but that's still good enough for mapping to patterns in a DAW or anything else where you want to pay by touch but don't care that it won't be dynamic. I think the only other data those will send is program change.

Arc-Demon wrote:

So I brought it home, cleaned it up a bit, put in some batteries, and it works! It's a PSR-175.
Anyone know much about this model?

Seems like it can be used for micromusic quite well - https://youtu.be/L7kg_XoHF84?t=1m23s

Hehe, and sometimes the toy-keyboards can land in SF films. wink
Lately they put YAMAHA PSR-3 into the newest episode of SF series "Defiance"! smile

But they changed sound into some normal piano. sad Yuck!

Originally the PSR-3 sounds like on this Spaszaki's song, hahaha.
http://parishq.net/proposed/sound/15-ar … antami.mp3