Poland, Gdansk

Hey guys!

If anyone needs to convert some lsdj songs to standalone roms, here is some helpful software.

MESS VGM mod
vgm2gb

Cheers,

I hope it helps wink

Last edited by scannerboy (Jul 29, 2015 7:27 am)

Los Angeles, CA

Disregard previous statement.

Thank you for linking this!

Last edited by Mrwimmer (Jul 29, 2015 5:09 pm)

Los Angeles, CA

So, MESS is very much so not user friendly.  Is there a way to make just force it to recognize a BIOS file?

NC in the US of America

ooh!!!!!

Unsubscribe

Since these are all basically command line tools, you could probably make a batch script to automate this huh?

Poland, Gdansk
Mrwimmer wrote:

So, MESS is very much so not user friendly.  Is there a way to make just force it to recognize a BIOS file?

You have to put the bios file (gameboy.zip gbcolor.zip etc) into a roms/ subdirectory (like in mame)

Last edited by scannerboy (Jul 29, 2015 8:10 pm)

Los Angeles, CA

I did that, still get the error message that dmg_boot.bin is NOT found (searched in gameboy gameboy)

Last edited by Mrwimmer (Jul 29, 2015 8:27 pm)

France

@Mrwimmer: get the bios from http://www.planetemu.net/rom/mess-roms/gameboy then put the gameboy.zip into the "roms" folder. It worked for me and I could launch gameboy and load lsdj. However, my .sav file was not recognised so I don't know how to load my lsdj songs...

And even if vgmwrite is set to 1 in the mess.ini I don't know how to activate the recording, but maybe it's only from the command line...

Last edited by garvalf (Jul 29, 2015 8:46 pm)

Poland, Gdansk

Saves are in the nvram folder for example lsdj.nv

The vgm recording starts automatically for me. It creates a vgm file where the mess.exe is located. Try some game or a Snorpung demo for example

Last edited by scannerboy (Jul 29, 2015 9:09 pm)

France

thank you @scannerboy, now I managed to load my lsdj tunes, by copying my lsdj.sav into this nvram folder and renaming to lsdj.nv
And the vgm file is happening in the root folder for mess.exe. However the vgm file remains silent sad

Poland, Gdansk

did you play the songs you wanted to record?

France
scannerboy wrote:

did you play the songs you wanted to record?

yes smile

But even if I didn't play it, I guess we should at least get the "bip" when the gameboy boots up.

Anyway, the gameboy_###.vgm file which was generated grew as my song was playing, and it eventually increased as much as 600 kb while I was at mid-song. Then I stopped it, and quit the gameboy emulator. I tried to replay the song in a vgm player, but I got no sound. I also tried the vgm2gb convertor, I got no error but the resulting file (which was also like 600 kb) didn't play anything.

Poland, Gdansk

hmm that is strange. I would advise you to try it with game boy color as that's the only one I have really tested.

Also maybe youve changed something in the .ini file

France

no it's the same with game boy color... (i'm only using mess, not mame)

I haven't changed anything in the .ini file. I've tried later to enable the wav writer, and this one is working fine, but not the vgm writer...

Last edited by garvalf (Jul 30, 2015 9:24 pm)

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ el ass dee j

Very cool! Can you put multiple songs on a cart for say, an album? :0