https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/59 … ynthesizer

I found this new chiptune synth Kickstarter campaign originally from a reddit post.  I was thinking about backing the project to get one.  Does anyone know if there are any other synths out there like this?  Are there any other synths out there that emulate the NES chiptune sound without having to use actual NES hardware?

Last edited by Runestone (Aug 6, 2015 1:17 am)

NUMBSKULL

That actually looks super cool!

Dallas, Texas

I dislike the pure sounding triangle, but otherwise looks neato.

Riverside, CA

looks neat, but if it's just emulated sound why not use a VST or something? you'd have more control that way and would save $80.

NC in the US of America
TylerBarnes wrote:

I dislike the pure sounding triangle, but otherwise looks neato.

+1 It's just not proper NES without that rough 4-bit triangle, man.

Would be nice if there was a way to limit the polyphony to 1 or 2

NUMBSKULL
The Silph Scope wrote:

looks neat, but if it's just emulated sound why not use a VST or something? you'd have more control that way and would save $80.

It may be a poor argument, but a computer plus ableton or whatever is much more than $80. At the same time, I can see what you're saying. But couldn't  you make that same argument for pretty much any synth?

Los Angeles, CA

I was excited about a 2a03 on a board -_- would be cool if they didn't falsely advertise that this has anything to do with NES audio

Unsubscribe

I could buy an eeepc for $40 and run famitracker, but yea.

Michigan
Mrwimmer wrote:

I was excited about a 2a03 on a board -_- would be cool if they didn't falsely advertise that this has anything to do with NES audio

Yeah. Seeing as it just plays samples, it would reach a wider audience if they opened up the sounds and showed off playing all sorts of samples, lo and hi fi.

Finland

Was so close to getting one but I don't know now. There are plenty competent ways of getting these same channels and sounds already. I'm sure it's neat but... eh. *Shrug*

Riverside, CA
catskull wrote:
The Silph Scope wrote:

It may be a poor argument, but a computer plus ableton or whatever is much more than $80. At the same time, I can see what you're saying. But couldn't  you make that same argument for pretty much any synth?

depends, most people already have a suitable computer/laptop for running some basic NES-alike VSTs. but if you're gonna go down that road though lol, a ~$20 pentium 4 laptop/raspi with debian and some foss/freeware VSTs or softsynths would still be capable of the same sound plus the options to do more accurate NES sounds as well as whatever else you can do with VSTs/softsynths/DAWs/etc.

the product seems more of a cool music toy rather than a tool that's the best option for its purpose.

Jazzmarazz wrote:
Mrwimmer wrote:

Yeah. Seeing as it just plays samples, it would reach a wider audience if they opened up the sounds and showed off playing all sorts of samples, lo and hi fi.

if it were like an "all-in-one" chipmachine that had a few square channels, triangle, noise, DPCM-ish sample playback, lofi wavetable (like the gb's WAV), as well as a bunch of FM channels, that'd be pretty dope.

Last edited by The Silph Scope (Aug 6, 2015 6:21 pm)